Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2008, 12:48 PM   #136
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
If you want an adventure use a map. If you want a spread sheet mentality use a GPS. I still believe wandering off the beaten path beats the heck out of a planned/plotted computer voice telling me where to turn. IMO.
+1000
Old 12-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #137
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwc
I am leaving from maryland in mid to late May so hopefully by the time I hit the rockies it is a bit warmer. I am planning on taking lots of pics and making a ride report as well. I already called all the states I plan to hit and got a free state highway map. gonna do it old school with no GPS.
A friend of mine was at Glacier NP on Memorial Day w/e some years back and found the park workers digging down through 10 feet of snow to get to the ROOF of the visitors center at the pass at the top of "To The Sun" road (Logan Pass).
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #138
mick
speedtrippy

Oddometer: 3,846
I'd like to add one more

It's not a single road, but the route from Dinosaur colorado to fruita colorado. Goes through ranch lands and over Douglas pass. There are many little side attractions and interesting things along the way. Beautiful area and great road variety.

"People don't understand what I'm doing. But it's not for the lack of me telling them about it".
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #139
LostMan
Fükengrüven

Oddometer: 252
Had enough?

—Gold Country: I recently rode California Hwy 49 from Placerville to Sonora to Mariposa. Beautiful ride. There is an interesting section between Sonora and Mariposa the local's call the "Little Dragon." There are several passes over the Sierra's in the area which were closed due to snow. (Monitor Pass, Sonora Pass & Tioga Pass.) Need to go back and do those. Nonstop twisties and scenery.

—Also hard to beat a ride across Death Valley. From the West start at Lone Pine or Olancha and across Hwy 190 to Death Valley Junction at Hwy 127. Hwy 178 is also great scenic road S/SE back to Hwy 127.

—+1 on the Lost Coast Road for pure excitement & beauty CA Hwy 211. Entering from the South provides the most thrills for a first timer IMHO.

—A Northern California ride that has it all starts (for me) in O'Brien, OR. Take the Happy Camp Road south over the pass to Happy Camp, CA at Hwy 96 then W/SW on Hwy 96 to Somes Bar and head S/SE up the S. Fork Salmon River canyon to Cecilville then continue to Callahan, CA at Hwy 3. Turn North and head to Fort Jones, CA. Take a left on the Scott Bar Road and continue North back to Hwy 96. Turn Left (W) to return to Happy Camp or right (E) to Yreka, CA. Enough scenery, deep canyons, shelf roads and twisties to wring you out for the day. (All paved. Giant fish in Salmon River deep pools.)

There are two rules for success:
1. Never tell everything you know.
LostMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #140
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
There are great roads everywhere, thanks for listing so many. My favorite is sort of a redundant listing since so many people are familiar with it: Naciemento-Ferguson Road from Fort Hunter Liggett to Cal 1. Best ridden in the early afternoon when the ocean is lit but you're not yet riding into the sun. So beautiful it hurts.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:08 AM   #141
FotoTEX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
There seems to be a trend here:alot of great roads seem to be in California. I am planning a ride this year up Hwy.1 and am interested in coastal routes, so this helps. So keep em coming. There are great roads in every state, so let's hear from you too.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:14 AM   #142
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
At least no one has named my favorite Arkansas Road it is ......

Never mind

Rod
Indeed, let's keep it a secre....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWJeeper
HWY 12 thru the panhandle of Idaho. I've been all over these United States. This is the best road I've rode to date. NW Arkansas is great as well. HWY 123 is a best kept secret in Ark.
Oh you BASTARD!

I like the Dragon on the weekdays. Weekends? Not so much. Cherahola is a good ride but I like tighter turns, Cherahola you wind up going fast fast on. Highway 28 now known as "THE HELLBENDER" by the gap is a really fun one. Oh and blood mountain(can't remember the road #) might be wolf pen gap or in that area, is dreamy.

AR 341.

AR somewhere?

AR 341 again.

AR 215

AR TAT

GA Blood Mt.

More of the above.

NC 28.

Lobby: Hell I just want google map links!

I actually had a google earth map one time with all the roads I have ridden tagged with comments for good/bad and warnings and whatnot.

In anycase, keep the roads coming. Doing TX in April so definitely focusing on those.

Cheers.

edit: FotoTex I'm using your GPS post as a sig on a different forum now. :)
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:12 PM   #143
FotoTEX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,719
Nice roads Silver. Nice photos also. PM me if you need Tx. Riding info. I have ridden these roads for over 30 years, so if i can help, just let me know. You will love Tx. in the Spring. Bluebonnets,BBQ & Beer. Nice.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #144
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Ah will do! I'll return the favor if you head up to AR.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:07 PM   #145
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,429
West By God Virginia HWY 16 about 100 miles of twistys
219 is good too not so twisty.

and ill bet there are 20+ more roads up there like it i havent found yet.

best road trip i have had, and i live close to the Dragon and all the surrounding East TN Western NC.

Best thing about WV is there is not much traffic on those roads.

Pocohontas county even prints up free full color suggested rides maps.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #146
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 67,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
I can say for sure, the Alaska Highway is not a ten best road. It is very straight and boring.

Natchez Trace might be entertaining at 100mph.

PCH is OK, but the section of 1 north of SF, the Shoreline Highway, is far nicer, IMHO. Less traffic, fewer clueless tourists clutching the wheel with white knuckles and it heads up to connect you to the Avenue of the Giants.

I'd also add any road crossing the Sierras.

Blue Ridge Parkway is nice, but like the Trace, the speed limits's too low to really be entertaining.

Admittedly, much of a road's "best" rating depends on the rider. Personally, I like roads tha require some skill to ride quickly, have scenic views and not much traffic. Long straightish roads just don't do it for me, nor do roads with artificially low speed limits.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #147
Old Nubbins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Orr Springs Rd through Comptche and out to Hwy 1
Old Nubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:36 AM   #148
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
GPS has it's charms.

Quote:
If you want an adventure use a map. If you want a spread sheet mentality use a GPS. I still believe wandering off the beaten path beats the heck out of a planned/plotted computer voice telling me where to turn. IMO.
If you select "Shortest Route" instead of "Fastest Route" in some unfamiliar area a GPS can show you sights you never imagined, while keeping you headed toward your goal. In central Ohio I rode miles of narrow, winding back roads that don't even show on a road map and saw Amish barns with their brightly painted hex signs and the birthplace of Norman Vincent Peale. Still got to Dayton in time to meet my friend for lunch.

It's a tool. How you use it is up to you.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #149
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,979
Quote:
I'd agree in part, but remember there is nothing saying you have to pay attention to the GPS just because it's mounted. I generally have my Zumo on show map mode (no destination selected) and it will show me which side roads actually go somewhere instead of dead ending in 100 yards. It makes for more productive exploring time.

When I get well and truly lost and am running low on fuel -- which I endeavor to do on a regular basis -- I tell the Zumo to take me somewhere in particular and it gets me out of trouble.
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #150
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Nah, completely disagree, unless your definition of an adventure means missing lots of cool little through roads that the GPS might have routed you down or spending hours jotting down exact directions from your map.

I usually set the day's destination, and 2-3 viapoints to keep me off the main roads, and then see where the GPS takes me via "shortest route". We did the same thing in France, and the Zumo took us through a series of tiny, winding, one lane roads--it was very cool!