Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #151
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
California is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
There seems to be a trend here:alot of great roads seem to be in California. ... There are great roads in every state, so let's hear from you too.
We're just trying to keep the traffic on the left coast.

Ohio 555, the "Triple Nickel". Head south from Zanesville. It has curves, hills (small ones), scenery, light traffic, a great ride.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #152
MozMan
take me seriously, really

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemiiten

• California 108 Ebbets Pass

• California 4 Sonora Pass

• California 120 Tioga Pass

• California 198 Generals Hwy.

• Montana Glacier NP. Going to the Sun rd.

• Montana/Wyoming 212 Beartooth Pass

• California Rt36

• Colorado Rt550 Million Dollar Hwy.

• VA/N Carolina Blue Ridge Parkway

• California Hwy. 58
Totally agree with the CA routes listed here. Can't speak for the others. Just did CA 162 to Covelo two weeks ago. Definitely worthy of an honorable mention.
MozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #153
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,030
I have had the good fortune of riding many of the roads mentioned on this thread. Some I favor for their scenery and others I favor for their fun factor. I do love the Cherohala, but you have to seriously haul ass to make it fun. I prefer it for its scenic beauty. It's fun to be sure, but I prefer my fun at lower speeds. The same can be said for BRP and the Black Canyon Highway in CO (hwy 92) The Dragon is a kick in the pants...undeniably and unapologetically so. Hwy 28 from Franklin NC to Lauada NC is my favorite. It's faster than the Dragon but not so much so that you can't have fun at sub get your ass thrown in jail speeds. AR HWY 16 from Brashears to Clinton is very nice with almost no traffic.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #154
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX
What do you riders consider to be the best roads to ride in the US? Here is my list, what is yours?

PCH Hwy.1
Chief Joseph Highway
Alaska Hwy.
Million Dollar Highway
Tail of the Dragon
Cherohola Skyway
River Rd. Texas
Natchez trace
Monument Valley
Arches NP

Natchez Trace Oh there is another tree. I think I just fell asleep.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:29 PM   #155
Human Ills
Useful Idiom

Oddometer: 22,897
Ca 175
Human Ills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #156
notmike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwo79
Rt. 100 Vermont should definitely be on the list. Nothing like it on a sunny day in October when the leaves are peakin'.

May I also add Fish Rock Road, Sonoma County, CA?
+100 for the sunny day in October, but it's pretty nice on a sunny day in summer, with the green hills all around you and the smell of fresh cut hay filling your helmet. Pure heaven! I rode it on a crappy overcast day a couple of weeks ago and I had it all to myself.That wasn't bad either.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #157
FotoTEX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Am glad I started this thread. There are some great rides ideas and eveyones list is a bit different, due to ones idea of a great road. The response has been well received. Keep em coming. And go ride em...
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #158
Keytime
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Just back from yet another extended weekend in AR (and the SE KS ride really isn't all that bad, IMO ). I still can't believe the lack of traffic on the AR twisties. It really is a playground for riders with great little eateries and cabins spread throughout. Been hitting it since '95 and we'll continue till I'm done twisting it.

Roads that stick out in my mind that aren't AR...

1. Hwy 12 / Lolo Pass / ID

2. Chief Joseph

3. Dragon

Many more good ones. It really is hard to nail 'em down. If I got out my old trip routes, I'd come up with a shatload.

Let's just ride!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #159
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,701
Quote:
PCH Hwy.1
Chief Joseph Highway
Alaska Hwy.
Million Dollar Highway
Tail of the Dragon
Cherohola Skyway
River Rd. Texas
Natchez trace
Monument Valley
Arches NP
FotoTEX,
Which River Road in Texas? New Braunfels?

+1 on the 'Three Sisters" (FM 335, 336 & 337 TX Hill Country west of San Antonio)
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM   #160
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,446
NAS Pt Mugu Missile Park to Wood Rd to Hueneme Rd to Potrero Rd to Westlake Blvd to Hwy 23 (Mullholland) to Little Sycamore to Yerba Buena to PCH to Latigo Canyon to Kanen Dune to Mullholland to The Rock Store for a Coke to Sierra Creek Rd to Kanen Dune to the 101 to the 23 to the 118 to Balcom Canyon Rd to South Mountain Road to the 150 to Hwy 33 to Lockwood Valley Rd to Cuddy Valley to Cerro Noroeste to 33/166 to 166 to Tepusquet Rd to Foxen Canyon Rd to the 154 San Marcos Pass to Stagecoach Rd to the Cold Spring Tavern for a Coke to the 154 to 192 to 150 to Santa Ana to 33 back to 150 to Balcom Canyon to Sand Canyon to the 118 to the 34 to Las Posas to Hueneme Rd to Wood Rd and back to NAS Point Mugu Missile Park.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #161
FotoTEX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
I meant the River Road outside Big Bend National Park. Terlinqua to Presidio, Texas. But the river road outside New Braunfels is pretty nice also. Alot more crowded though. Gruene Hall makes for a great stop. Starlite Theatre in Terlinqua.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:27 AM   #162
Pelicanglider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I know a lot of people love it, but the Natchez Trace can be a challenge and not in a good way. Access is very limited and after a few hours of pasture and trees, I find myself wanting to see some signs of life! Conveniences are few and far in between and its relatively straight, especially the southern half. I did it once end to end and again on another trip for about 150mi. I think I will avoid it on future trips, opting instead for regular back roads.

Pelicanglider screwed with this post 05-20-2009 at 06:49 AM
Pelicanglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #163
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Anybody who puts the Kanc above Sonora Pass is smokin' dope. That's a world class road in every way. The Dragon is a fantastic road too- it's the morons that inhabit it that have ruined the riding there. If you like squid, you've found your honey hole~

I enjoyed the area west and north of Redding, Ca quite bit. 101, 36, 299, 96... and the tight little clifftop road above the Salmon was a hoot, too- as was the sweeperfest that led east toward Trinity reservoir, Sawyer's bar to ca3... I've gotta say it though, the Euros have it all over the US in road building. Once you've seen what they can do with pavement, everything here seems kinda tame and sifted through a government filter. 10 minutes in the Dolomites is mind altering.....

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:18 PM   #164
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
Anybody who puts the Kanc above Sonora Pass is smokin' dope. That's a world class road in every way. The Dragon is a fantastic road too- it's the morons that inhabit it that have ruined the riding there. If you like squid, you've found your honey hole~

I enjoyed the area west and north of Redding, Ca quite bit. 101, 36, 299, 96... and the tight little clifftop road above the Salmon was a hoot, too- as was the sweeperfest that led east toward Trinity reservoir, Sawyer's bar to ca3... I've gotta say it though, the Euros have it all over the US in road building. Once you've seen what they can do with pavement, everything here seems kinda tame and sifted through a government filter. 10 minutes in the Dolomites is mind altering.....
I spent 3 weeks in the Doliomites and Southern Alps last September. You are correct, the sheer quality, quantity, and challenge of riding there will make anyone a better rider. Plus, throw in a public that likes bikes, give them every opportunity to pass, and police that in my experience was to just let you go unless you're really riding nut-bar, it's truly street motorcycle heaven!
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:41 PM   #165
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keytime
1. Hwy 12 / Lolo Pass / ID
Did that Last week. An amazing ride along the river and up the pass.

97 from I-90 to Parkline along the east side of Couer de Lane Lake is pretty amazing as well. And the run from Vernal Utah up through the Flaming Gorge to 80 in Wyoming is Incredible