I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,225
Highway 12 in Arkansas over by Beaver Lake
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #167
postaldave
gone postal

Oddometer: 796
what, no love for 22 and 227 in kentucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangfroid
US421 between Lexington, KY, and Boone, NC (except for the bit through Bristol, TN)

US52 from Huntington,WV, to MT Aire, NC (except for the bit through Wytheville, VA)

US119 from Charlston, WV, to Pineville, KY

KY11 from Maysville to Williamsburg

US441 from Pigeon Forge, TN to Athens, GA (a zillion little towns, tho')

US127 from Lexington, KY, to Chattanooga, TN

KY32 from Louisa to Flemingsburg

WV10 from Huntington to Princeton

BEAN

1972 BMW R75/5 toaster
1995 BMW GS 1100
2001 yamaha kodiak 400
2002 HONDA VFR interceptor

no one is promised a tomorrow but one more ride would be nice.

postaldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 PM   #168
jslyter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Here is one that makes my top 10 that I don't recall seeing in an earlier post. Most my others in Utah and Colorado have already been mentioned.

Hwy 536 (Sandia Crest Hwy) which takes you up almost 4K feet in 12-13 miles to the top of Sandia Peak outside Albuquerque, NM. A must ride if you are in the area.
jslyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #169
Wombat Boy
We All Going to Die!

Oddometer: 41
California
Happy Camp Road on 96 going over Gray Back to Obrien is a trip as well as 199/299/36. Any of the passes over the Sierras north of Yosemite (120).
101 Oregon/California
Avenue of the Giants

The West is covered with Great Roads.

I personally loved the Nevada roads 50 and 375. Not many twisties, but you can ride as fast as you want as far as the eye can see and you are out in the middle of no where.

Now on a '06 BMW 1200 GS, the Hodaka Wombat is in a Box(s), yep I took it apart and do not have time to put it back together.

"Air and water is free, we don't make a charge for that; now gas and oil...that's a whole other proposition. Gas is 12 cents a ding."

Gomer Pyle
Wombat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #170
VFR_firefly
Buh Bye!

Oddometer: 2,494
Good roads are all over the place. All you need are a few good twists, a lack of traffic, and no donut-eaters.

A road that becomes popular attracts traffic and that attracts the donut-eaters.

The Dragon is only good in the off-season when the bikes leave.

Saying, "You are full of it" is a banning offense -Putts

Too many n00bs/non-riders/pirates here to be worthwhile any more
VFR_firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:49 AM   #171
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,225
Highway 19 about 5 miles above the southern Missouri border up to Salem, MO is one of my favorites.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #172
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
A few good rides...

Here's my favorite rides so far. Can you see the theme here?

Alaska
Denali Highway (Between Parks and Richardson Highways)
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=%22D...%22&ss=2&s=int

Chitna to McCarthy (off the Edgerton Highway), following the Copper, then Chitna river.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Chitna&ss=2&s=int

Oregon
These roads can be done as a 620 mile loop, 2-3 day trip, Camp in the desert and beach:

Highway 126 From Eugene to Sisters - Follows the McKenzie River
Highway 97 / 197 from Bend to the Dalles - Follows the Deschutes River
Dufur Vally Road to Hwy 35 to 26, through Portland and on to Canon Beach
Highway 101 South to Reedsport along the Pacific Ocean
Highway 38 back to 99 to Eugene (along the Umpqua River)

Oregon / Idaho

Cambridge Idaho, to Copperfield, Oregon via. Hwy 71 into Hells Canyon on the Snake River. From there you can take Hwy 86 to West Baker or the Idaho Power access road North to the Hells Canyon Dam. Very twisty fun road, but watch out for falling rocks, cows and giant grasshoppers.

Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee:
Not enough experience here yet, although I do like Highway 64 along the Ocoee River.

These are not necessarily high speed twistie roads; rather, slow down and experience the places, sights, sounds, the smell of sagebrush...

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230

capt_enduro screwed with this post 08-15-2009 at 06:43 PM
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #173
MMcnamara
Where does that go?

Oddometer: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
I enjoyed the area west and north of Redding, Ca quite bit. 101, 36, 299, 96... and the tight little clifftop road above the Salmon was a hoot, too- as was the sweeperfest that led east toward Trinity reservoir.....
I just got back from there. I rode 299 and a few others. Very nice. 2x scale Ozarks roads.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #174
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,348
Subscribed

Here's some of mine in no particular order and may be repeats. Also this list is not representative of THE best MC roads in N. America only the ones I've been on...

1. Warwoman Rd in N. Ga
2. Wolfpen Gap in N. Ga [just don't go on a weekend when all the cyclists are out there]
3. Skyline Drive in the Santa Cruz Mtns CA
4. Hwy 129 Deals Gap NC-TN border (foothills Pkwy and Cherohala Skyway too)
5. Rte 2 & 8A in W. Ma
6. Hwy 587 from Columbia to Monticello MS.
7. Great River Road LA-1 Louisiana
8. HWY 103 CO Bergen Park to Idaho Springs [plus the trip up Mt. Evans]
9. Ca-120 from Yosemite Junction going into the park.
10. Hwy 28/89 around Lake Tahoe

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #175
Adventure Slade
tireburner

Oddometer: 19
Million Dollar Hwy is awesome on 550 in CO. No doubt! But most people miss hwy 141 from Whitewater to Naturita - that is an awesome road as well.
Adventure Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #176
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Living in Yreka, CA, I am a bit biased toward local roads. However, of you are riding Hwy 96 and get bored with the view and the turns then you may consider the Forks of the Salmon road or the, similar but shorter, Scott River road. Both are paved but one lane, both directions.

A good day loop from Redding, CA would be 299 - 96 - Forks of the Salmon Rd. - Etna - Turn east at Etna on Hwy 3 - turn on the road to Lewston - 299 back to Redding. If the one lane, both dirrections puts you off then continue on 96 to 263 - Yreka - thatroad turns into 3 and goes to Ft. Jones & Etna - stay on 3 to the road to Lewston. Both are good day trips and provide a good glimpse of Northern CA.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 AM   #177
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
That's pretty much what I did while I was there- awesome riding.

Forks of the Salmon is tight!~

and 299 is sweet sweeper central!~ Great road with NOBODY on it.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:34 PM   #178
Kellronius
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
If you want an adventure use a map. If you want a spread sheet mentality use a GPS. I still believe wandering off the beaten path beats the heck out of a planned/plotted computer voice telling me where to turn. IMO.
I have more fun since I got my GPS than before. It's just a tool. If you use it correctly, it can add tremendous amounts of enjoyment to your riding. You can create vias or waypoints and connect them with a route through very remote roads. That's a ton of fun. If you set your route preferences correctly, you'll never hit major highways or traffic. I've seen some very beautiful and remote sections of Virginia that way. I like to plan my rides using maps and mapping software, create route with waypoints and then upload it to my GPS. You can't beat it. It's also fantastic when riding overseas. I don't know how I could have done it in the Alps without my GPS. I end up spending far less time futzing with maps when I'm riding and more time enjoying the scenery. Don't get me wrong; I still love maps but I wouldn't do without a quality GPS either.
Kellronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #179
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellronius View Post
I have more fun since I got my GPS than before. It's just a tool. If you use it correctly, it can add tremendous amounts of enjoyment to your riding. You can create vias or waypoints and connect them with a route through very remote roads. That's a ton of fun. If you set your route preferences correctly, you'll never hit major highways or traffic. I've seen some very beautiful and remote sections of Virginia that way. I like to plan my rides using maps and mapping software, create route with waypoints and then upload it to my GPS. You can't beat it. It's also fantastic when riding overseas. I don't know how I could have done it in the Alps without my GPS. I end up spending far less time futzing with maps when I'm riding and more time enjoying the scenery. Don't get me wrong; I still love maps but I wouldn't do without a quality GPS either.
The only time I put my GPS "on" is when I'm on my way home.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #180
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,888
When riding the BRP a couple of years ago I used my GPS zoomed out a bit to see if side roads were worth checking out...or if they dead-ended in a few hundred yards and weren't worth my time.

Though I create my own routes to get to far away places, the most fun I've had with it was when I simply ignored it while riding back roads I'd never seen before. There's a certain freedom in knowing that even if I get hopelessly lost, the GPS will get me back to civilization again.

Also, since I travel with my dog, before a long trip I key in campgrounds and motels that are dog friendly along my route. It gives me flexibility without wasting time looking for a place that takes dogs.

Like Kellronius said, it's a tool.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote