Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #181
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Rte 16 from VA to WVA...ride it all the way up Or down... Endless twisties. That road I found by accident in WVA that said at the end...".no trucks allowed" Pretty much any road in WVA, actually, I make many trips south just to ride there, it takes me about 8 hrs from my place.

SE Ohio has killer roads,just pick something,nobody is one them. 666 and surrounding roads in PA are great riding roads. Almost any road off the BRP.

33 across the mountains in WVA.

Before I forget...the road in the Seneca Shadows campground that takes you up to the camping area. Please! I have just woken up,I am all stiff and not awake yet, I have to do this!!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #182
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Kern River Valley north of Bakersfield, CA: Hwy 178

While I make no attempt to rank this amongst any of the other great roads described - I was astounded by the beauty of the Kern River and loved the twisty, smooth blacktop of Hwy 178 running through the valley. I'd go back there in a heartbeat.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 AM   #183
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Rte 16 from VA to WVA...ride it all the way up Or down... Endless twisties. That road I found by accident in WVA that said at the end...".no trucks allowed" Pretty much any road in WVA, actually, I make many trips south just to ride there, it takes me about 8 hrs from my place.

SE Ohio has killer roads,just pick something,nobody is one them. 666 and surrounding roads in PA are great riding roads. Almost any road off the BRP.

Before I forget...the road in the Seneca Shadows campground that takes you up to the camping area. Please! I have just woken up,I am all stiff and not awake yet, I have to do this!!
Oh man, that 16 looks like a sweet road. I'm marking that on the map for my spring trip south. Thanks. And it ends up at Hungry Mother SP! Extra bonus points for that.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #184
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Soooo... Have they built anything good in the three years since this thread was active?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #185
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowkarver View Post
Soooo... Have they built anything good in the three years since this thread was active?
They repaved Beartooth Pass in the summer of 2010.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #186
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,556
I didn't see going over Looking Glass between East Glacier and St. Mary Montana.
Watch out for cows, horses, and bears.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #187
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Well, I know what I'm doing this summer.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #188
steveb126
Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post

Those are great roads, I've rode them all multiple times. Can't wait for warmer weather, but it has been the mildest winter I can remember, I've done 3,500 miles since 11/11/11.
steveb126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #189
kj106
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Buffalo Pass - ~80 turns in 10 miles

give the Buffalo Pass a look if you are near Lukachukai, AZ or Shiprock, NM. Sweepers, hairpins and lots of turns. Only problem is the scenery.

kj106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #190
Snowkarver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Yay. I've been planning a late summer trip from Vancouver to ID, MT and WY to see Yellowstone and ride Beartooth, Chief Joseph, Lolo etc. My first multi day trip.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #191
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowkarver View Post
Yay. I've been planning a late summer trip from Vancouver to ID, MT and WY to see Yellowstone and ride Beartooth, Chief Joseph, Lolo etc. My first multi day trip.
Well, that'll be a great ride for your first multi-day. Enjoy. Not sure what time of year you plan to ride it but be sure to check the MT DOT site to make sure it's open. It can snow up there just about anytime of year. I plan to ride it in August.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/reports/alerts.shtml
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #192
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Definitely haven't travelled the US enough to be able to say what the very best roads are. My personal list, however, would include Black Canyon of the Gunnison, Million Dollar Highway (and the whole continuation of that route to Durango via Silverton), Several roads whose designations escape me in the Cascades from Northern California on up into Washington as far as Rainier NP, Needles Hwy (but only early morning, out of season, or other times when there's not a horizon-to-horizon parade of Harleys or motorhomes using it). I've come across some roads in WV that I think would be great on a bike but have never actually got there on two wheels to test the concept.

The best roads I have ridden (best by a large margin) are all in Europe (Scotland, Alps, etc.) or New Zealand. Imagine I'd find some excellent examples in the Pyrenees, parts of Alaska, S. America, etc. Hope to find out one day.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 09:30 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 PM   #193
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,268
I'm sure glad nobody has mentioned all the sweet twisties in Oregon, especially in the eastern half, where I do a lot of riding.

Lots of great roads mentioned so far, and I've even ridden many of them. One not mentioned so far is the Snowy Range Road, hwy 130 heading west from Laramie, Wy. Having some fun twisty bits and super scenery, it's worth a ride if you're in the area. Check the weather before you head out, as the name implies.

I'll mention just one from here in Idaho, which most from outside the state won't know of. Local sportbike riders and even the pirates seem to love. Warm Lake road, from hwy 55 just north of Cascade, Id. is a must do when in the area. Don't let the first several miles lull you to sleep, because you'll need to be really dialed in for the twisties ahead. Lots of twisties. Bonus points at the lake for a bracing swim (summer only, of course).
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #194
GoFasterPB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj106 View Post
give the Buffalo Pass a look if you are near Lukachukai, AZ or Shiprock, NM. Sweepers, hairpins and lots of turns. Only problem is the scenery.
Thanks!

This will break up that slog down 491 the next time I head back to LA from Durango.
GoFasterPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #195
hayduke.klr07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
IronMountain Road

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNdIDpcuuUA

Black Hills of South Dakota. it's fun on a moto too.
hayduke.klr07 is offline   Reply With Quote