Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #496
TEdan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Here's a picture of the radiator fan with the 17L tank.
Does it look the same?
TEdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #497
puckerfactor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
How did you get the fan on?

After much sleuthing, my friend Christopher managed to uncover a 4.5 gallon or so desert tank that was on a 1998 TE610 kicker. In mounting it up on my 2000 TE610E, there does not seem to be any room for the fan. TEDan -- just curious if your tank is a little different design, or what you did to get it mounted if it's the same tank.

puckerfactor screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 03:27 PM
puckerfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:32 AM   #498
TEdan
Adventurer

It looks like the same tank to me. If you have a look on the under side it has a small acerbis stamp. I think it's near the fuel tap.
Your fan shroud on the back of the radiator looks the same too. So I don't know why your having a problem? Mine just fits straight on and have never given it another thought.
You did well to find that tank, I hear that thoes are very hard to find over there.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #499
puckerfactor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEdan View Post
It looks like the same tank to me. If you have a look on the under side it has a small acerbis stamp. I think it's near the fuel tap.
Your fan shroud on the back of the radiator looks the same too. So I don't know why your having a problem? Mine just fits straight on and have never given it another thought.
You did well to find that tank, I hear that thoes are very hard to find over there.
Yes, it's an Acerbis tank. But from the looks of it, your tank was designed to give clearance for the fan. There is a portion of the tank that protrudes into where the fan needs to go. The only way to even get the tank mounted is to take off the fan. Given how hard these tanks are to find here, I'm reluctant to break out the heat gun, but that may be the best option if I want to keep the fan.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:29 PM   #500
aerophoenix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
So going by the paperwork, looks like it was originally for a 97' te610....right now its mounted on a 2003. It fits perfectly except for the spacing for the fan. Looks like the opening on my tank is smaller than on yours. With the mount removed the fan butts up against the radiator and tank.
See below for pics.

aerophoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #501
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
The 17 litre tank OEM for the 610 TE-E is different to the 19 litre tank that Acerbis made as an aftermarket unit for the 610TE. The TE did not have a radiator fan while the TE-E does.
The earlier TE tanks fit the TE-E perfectly but you have to remove the fan as you have found out.

Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #502
TEdan
Adventurer

I'm with Tony T on this one.
After having a look at your photos and looking at mine again, there's is a definite shape in the mould around the fan.
I'd never given it much notice before as it just fits.
Not sure how you'd go without the fan, as mine cuts in and out a fair bit in the slower trails/hill climbs etc. but not while riding with a bit of speed.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #503
puckerfactor
Adventurer

Thanks TonyT and TEdan for the insights. This tank was originally for a TE610 kicker so it probably is the 19 liter. It was literally the ONLY larger capacity tank I've been able to find in a almost of year of hunting.

aerophoenix -- the housing does add at least an inch. How did you mount your fan? Just some screws through the radiator fins? Without the housing are you getting enough air-flow to make a difference? Since I'm in Oregon, the fan almost never comes one, maybe one or twice since I've had the bike, but I still like having it just in case.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #504
aerophoenix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckerfactor View Post
aerophoenix -- the housing does add at least an inch. How did you mount your fan? Just some screws through the radiator fins? Without the housing are you getting enough air-flow to make a difference? Since I'm in Oregon, the fan almost never comes one, maybe one or twice since I've had the bike, but I still like having it just in case.
Thanks for the info Tony. So you're saying I get an extra couple of liters, but lose out on the fan.

Same deal here. The only tank I have seen while looking, so I picked it up.
The fan isn't mounted, yet. I am looking for a smaller IP67 (water/dust proof) fan that I can fit in there. If I can't find a waterproof fan, I will just go with a lower rated, water resistant fan. They don't have the motor for the fan encased separately. I will most like just bend up some metal and have it attached in one or two spots.
Honestly it has been pretty cool down here in Ga so far, so when I had the stock tank on, it took about 10-15 minutes of sitting still for the fan to turn on, so I haven't worried about it. But summer weather is coming up so I figured I should go about putting the fan back on.
aerophoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #505
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerophoenix View Post
Thanks for the info Tony. So you're saying I get an extra couple of liters, but lose out on the fan.

Same deal here. The only tank I have seen while looking, so I picked it up.
The fan isn't mounted, yet. I am looking for a smaller IP67 (water/dust proof) fan that I can fit in there. If I can't find a waterproof fan, I will just go with a lower rated, water resistant fan. They don't have the motor for the fan encased separately. I will most like just bend up some metal and have it attached in one or two spots.
Honestly it has been pretty cool down here in Ga so far, so when I had the stock tank on, it took about 10-15 minutes of sitting still for the fan to turn on, so I haven't worried about it. But summer weather is coming up so I figured I should go about putting the fan back on.

Sounds like I'm in the same boat. I picked up an oversized tank a while back, but have yet to mount it. It looks aftermarket, but I believe Acerbis made the OEM large tanks as well.

I wonder if there's some way I could wedge the fan in there with a bunch of zip ties? (assuming I have the wrong tank...)

I don't recall the fan kicking on much, but I'd feel better having it. The fan in my X-Lite 310 never kicks on... oddly enough.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #506
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Can anyone tell me the rear wheel width and spoke indexing on a 99 TE410? I'm sure it's the same for the TE610 and similar years.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #507
Tony T
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerophoenix View Post
Yep, that's right.
As for fitting a fan, I'm sure it could be done just don't mount it directly to the radiator. Even if it is only plastic, it will eventually rub through.
We never bothered to fit one as the bike was only ever used for racing.
Tony T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #508
puckerfactor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
Sounds like I'm in the same boat. I picked up an oversized tank a while back, but have yet to mount it. It looks aftermarket, but I believe Acerbis made the OEM large tanks as well.

I wonder if there's some way I could wedge the fan in there with a bunch of zip ties? (assuming I have the wrong tank...)

I don't recall the fan kicking on much, but I'd feel better having it. The fan in my X-Lite 310 never kicks on... oddly enough.
If you have the same tank as as aerophoenix and me, the only way the stock fan will fit is if you remove the stock housing and come up with some sort of mounting system. I suspect the housing adds a fair amount of cooling value however.

The fan that came on my bike is made by Spal and seems like a quality unit, but is a bit bulky.

I'm thinking the best solution is a low-profile round fan with a 90 mm diameter so it would fit down in the opening for the housing. It would then be easy to fab up an adapter. So far, the only fan I've found the right size is for computers, and therefore unlikely to withstand water.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #509
Johncleary86
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Wow that was one hell of a read. Some really useful info on here. Is there a guide for decating the dual exhausts on a 00 sm610e. And will it still pass a uk mot?
Johncleary86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #510
jpkennedy71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Talking New TE owner here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkatie View Post
I just purchased a used 2003 Te610e that has 2000 miles on it .I bought it site unseen from a fellow in Texas and had it shipped to me here in .the Cincinnati area I received it a week ago and am still learning the bike.So far I am very impressed with it especially the 6th gear.I was a little hesitant about buying site unseen but it worked out great. There still are some very honorable individuals still left in this crazy world we live in..I've had a few ... (dozen ) bikes in my time and this one is really a perfect bike to ride to the trails instead of loading up. It does not vibrate nearly as much as the 02 LC4e I had. Got lucky with this one as it had the big tank already on it.I put a pelican case on the tail and a Spitfire windshield on it so far.Have heated grips and a new Barnett clutch cable coming also.Anyway just wanted to introduce myself to the 2000 era forum and say what a great bike this is.

Ade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The previous owner of your bike was Burel Hughes, a legend in these parts for organizing off road events and being an all-around great man. He has passed and there is a monument to him in Trilingual Texas in the Big Bend where Burels ride takes place every year around Christmas. That bike was very well cared for. It will be a winner for you.

I just bought this bike from Ade, and it is FANTASTIC! I've read the postings here with great interest, and hopefully will be able to add to the pool of knowledge at some point down the road.

Jared

Deals Gap: 318 curves in 11 miles
Florida: 11 curves in 318 miles
jpkennedy71 is offline   Reply With Quote