User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2014, 11:43 PM   #1
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
NEW TIRES. K60's vs knobbies

what do you prefer. what knobbies do you use? like? why? i have a 2014 800GSA looking for a new pair of tires. ride mostly dirt but some interstates and highways need help with a good tire choice
MazeWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #2
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWSP View Post
what do you prefer. what knobbies do you use? like? why? i have a 2014 800GSA looking for a new pair of tires. ride mostly dirt but some interstates and highways need help with a good tire choice
I run K60's because I got fed up with having bald knobs on my tires whenever I hit dirt. The life of the K60's is good, they aren't as good off the seal as a good knob, but still a lot better than a bald one. My riding is mostly seal with occasional dirt.

Riding mostly dirt I'd probably stick a TKC-80 up front anyway and to hell with life - and something a bit more durable on the rear than the TKC-80. K60 or Mitas rear maybe ?.

(DL, not a BMW here, but the weight and power of the two bikes are close enough).

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:57 AM   #3
petebw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Just put TKC80's on my '14 800 GSA. Super impressed so far; for gravel and sticky mud they've been damn good. Took some getting used to them on tarmac but they haven't missed a beat there either.

Apart from being a little apprehensive about the life of the rear (no sign of any wear 500miles in though) I think I'll be sticking with these while I own the bike.
petebw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,759
Mitas E-09 Dakkar is a nice compromise. Reasonable on the street, I get about 7-9K miles on them, and I great in the dirt. They even did well in New Mexico mud...
Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 AM   #5
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
anyone want a k60, I purchased this about a two years ago, got a few miles on it but just too stiff to worry about getting a flat and having to spoon it off and on. I prefer the TKC 80's for off road and have been using them for almost four years. Tried the Karoo's when I first got the bike in '09, but they are a bit too squirrelly for me at high way speeds. (of course they are more of an off road tire, but the TKC don't seem to have that characteristic and perform just as well off road)
Running a set of Shinko's now for mostly summer on road and pan hard riding we got now.
Anyone want this K60, it is yours, pick up or figure out the shipping

Leonardo da Vinci[/FONT]
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,092
Quote:
I much prefer the TKC80s. You have to be willing to forgo longevity for traction with the Continentals. The Heidenaus have insufficient traction on wet asphalt with a kind of oily nature all the way through, so I gave them away. They were a GDR industrial tire collective manufacturer, and I guess they're stuck in the same rut with motorcycle tires.

Fred
Old 07-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 674
Hated my K60 with that center strip. Have switched to TKC80s recently. I just picked up a Sava MC60 for cheap. Only have 100 miles or so on it, so can't speak about it yet. If I don't like it, I'll try the Mitas E-07. If that doesn't do it for me, I'll be riding TKCs for the duration of my ownership. They have been good at everything I do. Mileage is not too good (avg 3,300 miles on them).
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #8
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
Mitas E-09 Dakkar is a nice compromise. Reasonable on the street, I get about 7-9K miles on them, and I great in the dirt. They even did well in New Mexico mud...
I put an E09 on the rear on mine late last year. Love it so far, hope it lasts like yours. Much better than the K60 for hooking up in loose stuff or mud.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #9
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
IMHO the Karoo 3.

I hated the stock Pirelli Scorpian trail's, the truely sucked on pavement and on dirt/gravel

I tried the K60's (pre scout) 140/80 size, it was ok for about 5000 mi then got really slick, I replace them after sliding it about 40' on dry pavement

went to a K60 150/70 scout, same experience.

put the Karoo 3's on, great tire, the only negative comment from a friend is on an off camber muddy road they slip sideways.

I pulled the rear off with about 3000 mi because at about 50% tread I wanted a new tire for a long road trip ("planned" about 2500mi went about 3500mi) I used a Pilot Road 3 Trail. Now that I'm back home the front Karoo has about 6500mi and is about 30% tread, I'm planning on putting the rear back on and wearing it out before I get another set.

The Karoo has always felt much more planted on the front than the K60 (many people run a TKC 80/K60 because of this). I have drug the pegs on pavement with the Karoo, they are a bit noisy and I can feel the vibration, but it is a pretty aggressive tire.

I don't see where you are located but depending on where you live the same tire might work differently than for someone in a different part of the world
Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Love the K60 for what it is, a long trip tire. Ran two sets on the F800, one for a cross-country trip with a lot of dirt - one after that because I liked them. Got 12k out of the first set, swapped off the second at about 8k because the rear was shaped like a car tire.

Now on TKC80s and I love them. Better in almost all conditions on road and SO much better in the dirt. Front tire doesn't dance around off road, rear hooks up expectedly and is much more fun to slide out. Worth the hit in mileage if you are riding locally.

If I were riding across country, I'd put a K60 back on the rear.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,633
Could go with a Mitas e-07 on the rear and a TKC or Mitas e-09 or e-10 on the front.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
okeanos
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I do most all my mileage on the road commuting on my 2014 GS Adv. that I just picked up last month. I just put it in the dirt yesterday on the stock Michelin dual sport tire and they performed fine for my first go, but would like a more offroad tire and would like a set of the tkc80's but am worried about the mileage since I do 50 miles freeway each day.
Would it be better to just swap tires off the rims when going out? Which I have never done or am currently set up to do.
Or getting a second set of rims and tires making the swap easier for weekend dirt? This seems to be a large expense for the rims.
okeanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,342
I looked at the prices for rims and decided to practice changing tires.