User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #1
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Need brake help

have a 14' f8 gas need help with brakes. i am changing front wheel and grabbed the front brake before i had caliper on left side on now it is locked. how do i remove the pressure from this caliper so i can install back on rim?
MazeWSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
You should NEVER press the brake pedal/lever when the rotor isn't in place.

I guess you know that now.

Okay, can you tell if the pistons have actually come out? If they have, then I don't know what to do. If they're just too tight to put the wheel/rotor back in then take a flat blade screw driver and jiggle it between the pistons and they should go back in place fairly easily.

I hope that works for you.

I'm sure it was a typo in your message but I got a chuckle out of your saying you have an "f8 gas"... as opposed to what? A diesel?
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
1V-MAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWSP View Post
have a 14' f8 gas need help with brakes. i am changing front wheel and grabbed the front brake before i had caliper on left side on now it is locked. how do i remove the pressure from this caliper so i can install back on rim?

The easiest thing to do at this point (from what you describe) would be to loosen the bleed screw on the caliper then you can wedge something in there to "push" the pistons back ... just push them in far enough to clear your rotor. You will loose brake fluid when you push the pistons in ... try to keep off your paint, tires etc. You will need to top of your brake fluid when all is back together ... may have to bleed off brakes but probably not.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #4
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

that worked got the tire installed again but i am getting brake pad rubbing. is this from mis-allighment of the tire or something else? my brakes are still very tight should i let the pressure out still? where is this nut located?
Old 08-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
I pry the brakes open with a tire iron, just do it slowly.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,448
Maze, I don't think you should work on brakes. Of all the things to work on with no knowledge, the brakes aren't on the top the list!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #7
MazeWSP OP
Adventurer

i wouldn't mess with my brakes if there were a dealer within 230 miles of me. got a long trip coming up got to learn somehow
Old 08-09-2014, 08:54 PM   #8
tofire409
Geared up and ready.

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by MazeWSP View Post
i wouldn't mess with my brakes if there were a dealer within 230 miles of me. got a long trip coming up got to learn somehow
If you have the manual, the breaks are not that challenging.

some small amount of rubbing will happen, but the tire should be able to turn freely.

You shouldn't have to unscrew the pressure valve to get the piston and pads apart enough to put the disk back into place...I'd start with opening the reservoir cap before messing with bleed valves. The break calipers should be able to be moved by hand pressure unless the slides are frozen. Your bike is new and shouldn't have that issue...yet.

Hope that helps.
tofire409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:36 PM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,493
If they are rubbing on the inside pad, it is probably because that side of the caliper did not move that much when you pried them open. Instead you compressed only/mostly the piston.

They are sliding pin calipers. There is only 1 piston applying force to the to one side of the rotor.
The fluid in the piston is pushing in all directions. Once the piston/brake pad is pushed into the rotor, it no longer is able to expand further in the that direction, but can push against the caliper. That moves the caliper itself, pushing it outward brings the inside pad against the rotor.

The caliper slides on 2 pins, that are those bolts that have little rubber gaiters on them.

To make room for the inside pad, you have to push the whole caliper towards the inside.

To do that, place the palm of your hand outside of the caliper, grip the rotor with your fingers and push. It takes quite a bit of force for a long period of time to overcome the hydraulic pressure in the line, but it can be done.

If that is the problem, before you get a hernia, take a ride around the block and see if they will self correct.

With a new bike, the pins should be clean, but over time they will get corroded and should be removed, cleaned and lubricated when you do your brakes.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 09:59 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote