Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2015, 09:26 PM   #1
7seas10 OP
7seas

Oddometer: 478
Happy Trails Panniers on F800 Adventure anybody?

Hey guys,

Does anybody have Happy Trails Panniers on the F800 Adventure?
If you do, could you please post some photos and short review on them,
I'm trying to decide which luggage will fit best.
(I do not want the oem panniers, thanks)

Thank you
7seas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:18 PM   #2
GPHusky250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
This may not be the answer you're looking for...but the stock BMW Panniers for the F800GSA weigh 26lbs empty. I suspect the HT panniers will be somewhere in that range. More weight.

It's been my experience watching guys with aluminum panniers that when they go down...as everyone does from time to time...the expensive pannier's take a beating. Sometimes you can pound them back into shape, sometimes not.

Why not just get some soft bags....they hold just about as much unless you get some ridiculously large Jesse Panniers (not made for the F8GSA however), they don't weigh much and they don't get damaged when you dump the bike...heck, they actually protect it somewhat. (Ask me how I know that).

Lot's of options for soft bags....I like Wolfman....mine were about $400.00

Now if I were going to take my F8GSA on paved backroads, highways and streets...I'd rather have aluminum panniers for the convenience.

Just my two cents....means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. :)
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #3
7seas10 OP
7seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPHusky250 View Post
This may not be the answer you're looking for...but the stock BMW Panniers for the F800GSA weigh 26lbs empty. I suspect the HT panniers will be somewhere in that range. More weight.

It's been my experience watching guys with aluminum panniers that when they go down...as everyone does from time to time...the expensive pannier's take a beating. Sometimes you can pound them back into shape, sometimes not.

Why not just get some soft bags....they hold just about as much unless you get some ridiculously large Jesse Panniers (not made for the F8GSA however), they don't weigh much and they don't get damaged when you dump the bike...heck, they actually protect it somewhat. (Ask me how I know that).

Lot's of options for soft bags....I like Wolfman....mine were about $400.00

Now if I were going to take my F8GSA on paved backroads, highways and streets...I'd rather have aluminum panniers for the convenience.

Just my two cents....means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things. :)

Thank you for your response,

I think the same way you do. I like soft bags too.
i am just curious about the HT panniers since I haven't see my bike on the street with them mounted other than studio photos from the HT website.
I just sold a pair of Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags they are great, but I do not want to deal with straps anymore. I am thinking in a Mosko 35L panniers set or the Overlander 60. I am not sure yet. What I am very sure is that they are expensive, almost the same as the alu panniers.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts

Safe riding
Old 04-10-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
BlueRidgeKat
Daily Commuter

Oddometer: 259
I went with the Givi Trekker Outbacks and love them so I can't say how the Happy Trails are on a GS but my wife put them on her KLX 250 and they are great, hard to beat for the money. The only downside I seen was some of the smaller cheap ass bolts and nuts they supplied with the racks. I stripped a couple of them and was not even tightening them all that much so just replaced some of them with better grade ones I had lying around. The racks and panniers themselves are well made. Easy on and off (pannier not the rack) and a good latching system. The way the pannier itself is made, it looks as though they would take a lot more of a beating than the Givi's and come out ok.

BlueRidgeKat screwed with this post 04-10-2015 at 07:47 AM
BlueRidgeKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
7seas10 OP
7seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeKat View Post
I went with the Givi Trekker Outbacks and love them so I can't say how the Happy Trails are on a GS but my wife put them on her KLX 250 and they are great, hard to beat for the money. The only downside I seen was some of the smaller cheap ass bolts and nuts they supplied with the racks. I stripped a couple of them and was not even tightening them all that much so just replaced some of them with better grade ones I had lying around. The racks and panniers themselves are well made. Easy on and off (pannier not the rack) and a good latching system. The way the pannier itself is made, it looks as though they would take a lot more of a beating than the Givi's and come out ok.

Thanks for your post
Old 04-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seas10 View Post
Thank you for your response,

I think the same way you do. I like soft bags too.
i am just curious about the HT panniers since I haven't see my bike on the street with them mounted other than studio photos from the HT website.
I just sold a pair of Wolfman Rocky Mountain bags they are great, but I do not want to deal with straps anymore. I am thinking in a Mosko 35L panniers set or the Overlander 60. I am not sure yet. What I am very sure is that they are expensive, almost the same as the alu panniers.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts

Safe riding
You haven't seen any on an Adventure or any on a F800 at all? I've been using my HT panniers since 2011.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:05 AM   #7
7seas10 OP
7seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
You haven't seen any on an Adventure or any on a F800 at all? I've been using my HT panniers since 2011.
On a F800 Adventure. All I've seen are the photos from HT website.

Thanks for your post
Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
One thing I (and my buddies) have learned the hard way: If you order HT, don't do it on line. Call them and confirm what you are ordering is available for immediate shipping. Record the time of call, who you spoke with and what was discussed. After ordering, send a confirmatory e-mail recounting your conversation. This way you will have a solid record when things don't turn out right. This plan has saved me a few times. In the final analysis they have solid customer service, especially when you have all your ducks in a row.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:18 PM   #9
7seas10 OP
7seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbred View Post
One thing I (and my buddies) have learned the hard way: If you order HT, don't do it on line. Call them and confirm what you are ordering is available for immediate shipping. Record the time of call, who you spoke with and what was discussed. After ordering, send a confirmatory e-mail recounting your conversation. This way you will have a solid record when things don't turn out right. This plan has saved me a few times. In the final analysis they have solid customer service, especially when you have all your ducks in a row.
Thanks for letting us know about it.
I'll make sure to record the whole transaction.

Safe riding
Old 04-14-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
pelvis_98
Havin A Time

Oddometer: 1,989
This is the only pic I could find right now on my F800GS.

I found the racks did not line up with the holes and took a lot to get them mounted. Figured it was a one off but helped a buddy install on his bike and was the same thing.

This set came in good time from HT, but I ordered a top box from and stupid long to deliver.

pelvis_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #11
7seas10 OP
7seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelvis_98 View Post
This is the only pic I could find right now on my F800GS.

I found the racks did not line up with the holes and took a lot to get them mounted. Figured it was a one off but helped a buddy install on his bike and was the same thing.

This set came in good time from HT, but I ordered a top box from and stupid long to deliver.

Thank you for your response