User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #151
Betelgeuse
Don't Panic

Oddometer: 212
Cee Bailey

I put the C B 16" Euro (light grey tint - looks great) on last Friday and did 200 miles Sunday and loved it. Buffeting down to a minimum; air flow now just hitting the top of my Arai XD and if I nod forward a skosh it's gone. I can now ride with the shield cracked, which makes a world of difference in the cold when you're wrapped up like a snow bunny. I didn't have any problems standing, but I didn't have any close calls either. My line of sight over the top of the screen hits the road about 20' in front of the wheel. I'm 5'8" and generally sit erect or stand, so all in all I'd rate it A1+.
Betelgeuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #152
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by mototrionic
Honestly, after riding the GS8 for the past 6 months and trying a couple options - I've decided to save the money and time and deal with the stock windscreen. The LLip was horribly noise and I don't trust the myriad of touring screens out there that don't seem much taller.

I'm 6' so probably just over average height for riders on this bike, and am cool touring around with the bike knowing it's not a comfy street tourer, but an all around GS. I invested in a nice helmet and some fly removal ointment instead and like the open feel

...it also looks sorta strange on these bikes IMHO.
I agree, don't ride a motorcycle if you don't want to be in the wind. If that's the case you should be sitting in a car a.k.a. steel coffin!

Plus, riding on a windy day gives the back muscles a good workout.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:36 PM   #153
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm now I can't find it on F800Depot either,
but I did talk to Rob and he says he's getting them in and is holding one from first shipment for me.............
He expected them about "now"............ I need to ping him...
That's because they aren't available yet. I'm not taking pre-orders on something when I don't have a definitive date as to when it's going to show up.

I've stopped taking orders for the Wild@Heart bars and the KTM LC4 setup for the same reason. If I can't get it in short order, I'm not taking your money.

...except from Jim, cause he had and exchange.

..,and for folks who want the Holan F800GS Bars becuase they should be here by now.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #154
Kabuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Holan Bars

Taking delivery of my 800 this week. Lots of things to think about, I've downloaded pictures of Givi, touratech, Hepco Becker, Holan, SW Motech
I like the shape of the givis but the Holans seem to have the best coverage. How do you like yours?
Kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #155
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob

...except from Jim, cause he had an exchange.
Why yes Rob... you are the man ....

Thanks!
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:04 AM   #156
Ratking
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Sports screen?

Has anyone tried the Cee Baileys sports screen and how do you like it?
Ratking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:39 PM   #157
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Question Windscreen NOOB........

Ok maybe I'm confused.... and hopefully y'all can help me out?

I've been riding for a LONG time but mostly smaller displacement dirt bikes at lower speeds & short trips to dirty places .... soooooooooo now with my F650GS twin I'm doing road trips and I'd like less NOISE

(I need to save what hearing I've got left and even with ear plugs things are a bit loud as is...) and I wouldn't mind a bit less buffeting but that is secondary.

I'm about 6' 0" and 32" inseam.

After messing around it appears that with the stock F658GS screen (which shorter than the F800GS screen by ~3.5") I am guessing my helmet is just in the top of the turbulent zone of air coming off the screen... If I tuck down (and somewhat forward) the noise is MUCH louder... while if I lift my butt up off the seat a couple inches the noise (which is not THAT bad to begin with) is reduced somewhat as I guess I am now completely above the turbulance and in the undisturbed air stream???

I tried the Skidmarx from F800Depot which is 18" tall and I was very disappointed to find that even a pretty low speeds (30-40 mph) that the noise level was just awful ... I guess 18" puts me square in the turbulent zone??? Fortunately Rob @ F800Depot.com is GREAT to work with and let me return it for credit -- I made very sure to handle it with extreme care. (Shameless plug for Rob here... )

I really don't want to go extra tall as I live in NC and don't need that much "cold" protection and want to avoid the cage feeling...

The CalSci chart (these boys seem to be pretty smart)
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/F800GSprod.html
says I should have one about 19.5" which based on my experience might be tall enough to get my head below the turbulent zone... but ...

Hell I'm confused....

Any help appreciated....

Thanks,
Jim

JRWooden screwed with this post 04-14-2009 at 12:47 PM
Old 04-14-2009, 12:55 PM   #158
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Ok maybe I'm confused.... and hopefully y'all can help me out?

I've been riding for a LONG time but mostly smaller displacement dirt bikes at lower speeds & short trips to dirty places .... soooooooooo now with my F650GS twin I'm doing road trips and I'd like less NOISE

(I need to save what hearing I've got left and even with ear plugs things are a bit loud as is...) and I wouldn't mind a bit less buffeting but that is secondary.

I'm about 6' 0" and 32" inseam.

After messing around it appears that with the stock F658GS screen (which shorter than the F800GS screen by ~3.5") I am guessing my helmet is just in the top of the turbulent zone of air coming off the screen... If I tuck down (and somewhat forward) the noise is MUCH louder... while if I lift my butt up off the seat a couple inches the noise (which is not THAT bad to begin with) is reduced somewhat as I guess I am now completely above the turbulance and in the undisturbed air stream???

I tried the Skidmarx from F800Depot which is 18" tall and I was very disappointed to find that even a pretty low speeds (30-40 mph) that the noise level was just awful ... I guess 18" puts me square in the turbulent zone??? Fortunately Rob @ F800Depot.com is GREAT to work with and let me return it for credit -- I made very sure to handle it with extreme care. (Shameless plug for Rob here... )

I really don't want to go extra tall as I live in NC and don't need that much "cold" protection and want to avoid the cage feeling...

The CalSci chart (these boys seem to be pretty smart)
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/F800GSprod.html
says I should have one about 19.5" which based on my experience might be tall enough to get my head below the turbulent zone... but ...

Hell I'm confused....

Any help appreciated....

Thanks,
Jim
Follow the CalSci chart. When you receive the screen, wrap it in Saran Wrap to protect it. Install it. Then try it out. The 19.5" large should work for you. If not, return it and they'll send you the size up free of charge. They're great people. Also, if you have a helmet with a visor, that's going to add noise as well. I'd recommend a non-visor helmet.

The general rule with windscreens is: if you want to be completely out of the wind (including your head), you're going to have to get a windscreen that is tall enough. Period. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You'll just be wasting time and money.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:26 PM   #159
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Griz!

That pretty much matches what I was thinking .... but hoping for a more miraculous outcome

I wanna be out of the noise, so I guess that means I gotta be out of the wind also eh?...

I have the Shoei TZ-R (similar to RF-1000) with no visor so I should be good there....

Jim
Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #160
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Medium Calci Screen

I recently bought an F800GS and rode it to Tasmania for the BMW GS Safari (great event!) and then rode it back to my home in Northern NSW. On the way back I rode 900km in one day ... and I have the usual complaints from 800 owners ... sore bum, footpegs too high and forward and particularly the noisy low screen.

I don't seem to be able to wear earplugs, so I hate the noise. On my return I ordered a Calsci Medium screen, and received it a few days ago (Very fast!)

I went for a ride this afternoon and found it pretty good on the road. It was fairly quite with a little buffeting and if I lent forward it was very quite indeed. BUT ... when I started riding down a dirt track while sitting I found it very disturbing how I was looking at some of the track over the screen and some through the screen ... there was a kind of distortion effect which nearly made me feel nauseous. When I stood up the screen was far enough forward that it got in the way of my view of the front wheel and I didn't feel comfortable.

After considering cutting down the screen (more thoughts on this later) I decided to use some spacers in the middle mounting holes (Will post pics later when I have finalised this) and made the screen less vertical. The rear mounts are fairly adaptable.

I was immediately happier; the bike actually looks far less awkward; when I stood up it felt far more like the big trailbike I was getting very fond of; when I rode along the dirt track I was mostly looking over the screen and it felt much better and when I rode on the bitumen again there was less buffeting, probably because the screen was slightly closer to me ... Result!

An unexpected benifit of the Calsci screen for someone who lives where it gets quite cold in the winter (Still late spring) is that it's definately warmer around the legs ... you can feel a lot more of the heat from the radiator around your feet and lower legs. It was about 11.5c according to the trip computer and I felt a lot warmer than I had at that temperature in Tasmania with the standard screen.

I am still not entirely happy so I am going to find two new longer screws for the screen and put in slightly thicker rubber spacers to lay the screen over a bit more ... I am hoping that I will then be looking almost over the screen while riding sitting on gravel and that the screen will not be in the way at all while standing, might even look better again if I am lucky.

I think that for the 800GS Calsci should make their screen adjustable in height between their sport and large sizes, and maybe incorporate some vertical adjustment as well. Then most people could set it up how they like and you could ride along the highway with the screen up and then drop it if offroad.

Overall though after I added the "prototype" spacers I was pretty happy ... much quiter, a lot warmer, not that aesthetically challenged.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #161
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Ducksbane:

Calsci says they will cut to custom height, but ... of course that is a "one-time" adjustment

From their website:

" If you might send the shield back for an exchange, please don't scratch it first. And, trust me, as impressive as your state's bugs are, I already have as many bugs as I need. Ride the windshield for a half hour or so. If you bought the wrong size, we'll trade you. Or, put some masking tape on your shield where you would like it cut, and we'll cut it to your spec. We want happy customers."

Post us a pic. if you can?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #162
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
Yup. I have one. Like was already mentioned, I had a Wunderlich tall screen on my F650GS Dakar single and loved it. I bought the tall W screen for this F800GS and don't like it much. It dumps the air right in my eyes and is very noisy. I'll keep in on until the weather warms up then put the stock windscreen back on.
Love thw Sahari Jesse bags...sweet!
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:05 AM   #163
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Thumb Hi Jim

Yes, I know that Calsci will cut screens ... but I am in Australia and the freight to California and back is going to be a lot. I am also not sure that I do want the screen cut ... I think I will be happier with just less vertical ... It's Sunday here so I haven't been out to find the bolts and spacers yet, but if it works (It's very simple) I will post pics in a few days
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #164
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quack:

Sorry I did not pay attention to you being down-under

Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Thanks,
Jim
Old 04-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #165
Kabuki
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Cee Bailey

I have had my 800GS for two weeks now, and all I can say is WOW!!!
I loved my 650GS, but this one leaves me speachless. I spent the weekend touring the North Carolina mountians via fireroads backroads and offroad. Now onto the windscreen. This time of year there are lots of bugs in the air and for those who say windscreens have no place on the 800 should have seen my face shield! I stoped and cleaned it several times saturday, I understand the tall windscreen gets in the way off road, but I have a 100 mile round trip to get to these fabulous areas. As I have mentioned in previous post i had a wunderlich tall screen on my 650 and loved it.
I was able to ride with my face shield open with only the occaisional bug getting by. My Cee Bailey Tall 18" x 14" Euro arrived today. It installed with ease and looks great. Now for the test ride. On a back road with the Grass Bugs in the air they proceeded to cover the center of my face shield, as I headed for the interstate and got up to speed the air buffeting around my helmet was deafening. I'm 5' 10" with a Scorpion EXO 400 I was hoping for first times the charm, guess its back to the drawing board. Any helpful sugestions?
Kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote