Old 10-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #437
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
I don't know how well these work but I have seen them on several bikes:

http://www.hippohands.com/Hippo%20Hands.htm
I have seen those before but there is one thing I don't like about them: in my opinion getting in and out is not as fast as it should be for safe driving. My right hand is mostly at the handle bar, but my left fiddles a lot with the visor, moves here or there, and so on. So overall, they are not the right thing for me. A bit of wind protection together with heated grips is all I need. Also, I live in California (South Bay Area), so it doesn't get all too cold. I'm used to German winters and winter driving - so California is like continuos summer for me.

Nevertheless: right now I only have BMW Airflow gloves and they are just too thin for 40 to 50F.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #438
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
Yeah... "hippo hands" are probably overkill for CA weather

and indeed they might be cumbersome to get in and out of....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #439
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Yeah... "hippo hands" are probably overkill for CA weather

and indeed they might be cumbersome to get in and out of....
I was looking at them when I was still in Germany and riding all year. Here in the SF Bay I don't really need them. I don't mind cold, but I do mind rain, so I'll probably not ride that often over the winter.

Probably I'll get an Aeroflow wind shield sooner or later and use the smaller spoilers for the hand guards for the time being.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #440
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
the puig black windscreen mounted on mine:

Old 11-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #441
Losper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Adjustable wind deflector fitted to 800gs

Adjustable wind deflector fitted to 800gs

I am 189cm tall and the BMW touring screen did not give enough protection againt the wind. There was a huge improvement after I fitted the Z-Technik 20inch screen but I was still not 100% happy since there was still a small amount of buffeting around the helmet . I then decided to make my own adjustable wind deflector with perspex and fit it to the screen with a height adjustable bracket.

The deflector "slides" up and down on 8 x screws. The deflector is solid and stays in it's position because the nylon washers ( 2 per screw ) adds just enough resistance.
I have taken the bike up to 160km/h and the deflector works 100%. I can ride comfortably with an open visor up to that speed. The added bonus is the HUGE inprovement in windnoise and there is absolutely no buffet, what so ever.
I was not sure how the Z-Technic screen will cope with the added windresistance and for that reason I have added 3x braces. The whole system works brilliantly.

The screen is as stable as you can hope for even on real rough terrain.
A very, very interesting side effect is that the bike accelerates much faster now above 80 km/h, I can only presume it is because of the cleaner airflow over my body compared to before. There is also less throttle input neccasery to keep the bike at a steady speed above 100km/h.

Losper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #442
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaris
the puig black windscreen mounted on mine:

Looks good! But we need to know how it works and your measurements. It seems like finding a windscreen that works will be a very expensive trial and error.
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:15 AM   #443
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze
Looks good! But we need to know how it works and your measurements. It seems like finding a windscreen that works will be a very expensive trial and error.
i am 176cm, since i mounted it last weekend we´ve had winds around here at 35km/h so i couldn´t have any good impression yet. i´ll check this week on normal conditions.

i just can say it is less noisy on the helmet than the stock one, and that offer some additional protection on chest, neck and shoulders.....
Old 11-15-2009, 07:23 AM   #444
jimwms
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I guess there are just too many variables here; height, inseam, posture, helmet, etc. I tried the Laminar Lip and got vibrated to death; decided I had it in the wrong place so I got the RoboBrackets and mounted it that way, but couldn't find a location that worked any better. So, I've ordered the Aeroflow and I have set of black Robobrackets and a Laminar Lip for sale if anyone wants them before they go to the Flea Market.

Jim Williams
Knoxville, TN
jimwms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:03 PM   #445
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Does anybody have a pic of the Aeroflow on their bike with them also on the bike? While the windshield seems huge in the pics, a perspective with the rider would be helpful for us thinking of plunking down a chunk of change. Preferably the tall windshield and a 6 ft tall rider?
Old 11-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #446
cug
--

Quote:
Does anybody have a pic of the Aeroflow on their bike with them also on the bike? While the windshield seems huge in the pics, a perspective with the rider would be helpful for us thinking of plunking down a chunk of change. Preferably the tall windshield and a 6 ft tall rider?
I'll receive my XL tomorrow and I'm 6' with 34" inseam. Will install tomorrow evening and take pictures probably on Tuesday or Wednesday or the weekend as the latest. Not sure when I'll have time and enough light. It gets dark fairly early now.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:47 AM   #447
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 823
My F658GS with Wunderlich Ergo High + homemade extra flap.
Result is of course (standard saddle and i am 174cm )

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 AM   #448
cug
--

Aeroflow XL

Received and installed the extra tall Aeroflow yesterday. No final verdict yet.

Initial impressions: pretty good. You want it below your line of sight definitely and it is for me. Also it doesn't really work with the R1200GS handguards I had installed, so I took them off for now.

Installation was about an hour, instructions were excellent.

I am 6', 34" inseam, the photos are with the low seat only. As it seems, the screen would work just as fine with the standard seat, I have some room over the top of my helmet where the air flows.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #449
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Great photos Cug. Just what I was looking for. Why did you decide on the XL vs L? Any buffeting or issues?
Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #450
cug
--

Quote:
Great photos Cug. Just what I was looking for. Why did you decide on the XL vs L? Any buffeting or issues?
I decided based on talks with Aeroflow - they recommended the XL. I think, with only the low seat I could have used a "tall", but as my plans aren't completely clear with regard to the seat (Airhawk / 3rd party seat), I was planning with the standard seat height and for this Aeroflow recommended the XL.

Buffeting: Only from buffeting winds around me (cars, trucks), I get some drone noise above 50 to 55mph and haven't located where this is coming from. I don't have the Aeroguards right now, so that might be a reason, I'll report when I have a final conclusion on the shield. So far, I am pretty much happy. If I can eliminate the droning, it'll be perfect. It might also be my helmet (Shoei flip up), or air coming around the lower corners of the screen, hitting my shoulders and create that noise. Still investigating.

Overall, the Aeroflow is a bit disturbing at first as you hear every single noise your bike makes at different speeds and rpms ...