Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2009, 10:59 PM   #466
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I was just checking out Wunderlich's site and came across this....

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5..._Code=F800GS-X

may prove to be a winner as I prefer the shorter screens, personally. Anyone see one mounted in person?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:13 AM   #467
wizze
Wizze = Wise

Oddometer: 959
Looks cool but it would be cheaper to buy a used 650 screen and a can of spray paint.
wizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #468
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
says it's adjustable though....
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #469
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,094
Deseirto Shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudellvonhop
There has to be someone out there who parted with the cash to get one of these... Don't be embarrased - tell us what you think

I just got one and have it installed. Check the other thread on it for info.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #470
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,759
MRA Vario Touring Windshield

Has anyone tried this one?
http://f800depot.com/mra-vario-touri...-gs-p-580.html
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:31 AM   #471
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
MRA Vario

I have one on my F650GSTwin. It's working great for me (200lbs, 6' tall, 33" leg). There's more wind pressure, but much smoother air, than with the Power Bronze/Metal Mule screen. I keep the laminar lip at about the mid-level and have very good conditions up to about 70mph, above that it gets to be more turbulent, but that's hard to avoid on an unfaired bike.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:16 PM   #472
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtzl
I have one on my F650GSTwin. It's working great for me (200lbs, 6' tall, 33" leg). There's more wind pressure, but much smoother air, than with the Power Bronze/Metal Mule screen. I keep the laminar lip at about the mid-level and have very good conditions up to about 70mph, above that it gets to be more turbulent, but that's hard to avoid on an unfaired bike.
Frtzl...

I'm about your ht on F658GS .... this sounds encouraging...
If you don't mind...

In what directions does that lip adjust?
Up/down + angle or ???

What happens as you adjust it in terms of the "quiet pocket" size...
Do you think it would still work for you if you were in the 6' 1" - 6' 2" range?

Thanks!
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:18 PM   #473
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Wunderlich adjustable ht. screen?

Has anybody got an update on this screen?
The claim was that it would be in USA by last month but ....

http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?p...7&groupid=1642
Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #474
CSL3
Claude the Adventurer :)

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Has anybody got an update on this screen?
The claim was that it would be in USA by last month but ....

http://www.wunderlich.de/frame.php?p...7&groupid=1642
Apparently, Wunderlich America does in fact have it in stock. Here it is.
$299 USD for a polycarbonate (Lexan), fully-adjustable shield which comes with what appears to be all stainless steel hardware isn't that bad.
If you translate the description from their German website, it looks like this:

Maximum wind protection, which can be customized via quick.
Sport, touring, summer and off in a wheel - the sensation of stress-free, customizable driving experience.

The facts:
* Maximum discharge for head, torso and arms
* In the lower area (transition to the protectors), greatly enlarged, it offers optimum protection for the hands and arms
* Top relieve the broad head and upper body flaps almost turbulence
* Infinitely adjustable (height: 465mm to 525mm) over two-pane structure
* Easy and fast adjustment (quick fold down and move)
* On almost all drivers and driving habits set
* Sewn-flow channel: Depending on the adjusted amount is changing the passage and opposes a reassuring counter-swirl
* If necessary simple disc sliding down and already the field of vision is enlarged and the wind can freely inflowing the driver
* When it rains, no water play on the visor (vacuum turbulence)
* The ERGO-tour of our windscreen on the R 1200 GS derived design closes the gap on the headlights and ensures a consistent and impressive feature. • Very robust, optically pure Lexan plastic and petroleum spirit
* Simple and quick attachment
* 5 years warranty
* With TÜV approval
* The unique manufacturing process allows for very complex forms that allow a perfect windbreak
* Made in Germany
* In the bottom of "shadow" colored, whereby the protruding fittings integrated into the design. Viewing area clear.

EDIT:
The numbers are somewhat misleading.
There are two sets of adjustments for this screen.

[a] Bracket attachment point to upper shield (adjustable with screws)
[b] Bracket movement itself, adjustable by sliding the bracket up/down after unlocking them with built-in levers, without tools.

The numbers 465mm/18.3” to 525mm/20.7” represent the ‘base’ maximum height adjustment if you will, or [a] above.
The bracket itself, [b] above, can move at least another 2.5 inches down from that, so to just under 16 inches, I reckon.

Thus, total adjustment range is somewhere around 5 inches.

Here's the Installation Manual for this screen with lots of images within it.

/C

CSL3 screwed with this post 12-29-2009 at 05:42 PM
CSL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #475
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,165
Madstad is working on a new touring screen which is adjustable! Stainless steel base mount with adjustable brackets.

Testing on wife's F650GS. Very good wind protection, hits top of my helmet on this setting. I am 5' 11", 32" inseam and the bike is a low suspension and low seat.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #476
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL3
Apparently, Wunderlich America does in fact have it in stock. Here it is.
$299 USD for a polycarbonate (Lexan), it offers optimum protection for the hands and arm

* Infinitely adjustable (height: 465mm to 525mm) over two-pane structure
Being metric-challenged I think that converts to 18.3" <--> 20.7"
Just looking at the thing I would have guessed it to have more than roughly 2.5" of "travel" ???

Otherwise, I think I like it....
Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #477
CSL3
Claude the Adventurer :)

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Being metric-challenged I think that converts to 18.3" <--> 20.7"
Just looking at the thing I would have guessed it to have more than roughly 2.5" of "travel" ???
Those numbers are somewhat misleading.
There are two sets of adjustments for this screen.

[a] Bracket attachment point to upper shield (adjustable with screws)
[b] Bracket movement itself, adjustable by sliding the bracket up/down after unlocking them with built-in levers, without tools.

The numbers 465mm/18.3” to 525mm/20.7” represent the ‘base’ maximum height adjustment if you will, or [a] above.
The bracket itself, [b] above, can move at least another 2.5 inches down from that, so to just under 16 inches, I reckon.

Thus, total adjustment range is somewhere around 5 inches.

Here's the Installation Manual for this screen with lots of images within it.

/C

CSL3 screwed with this post 12-29-2009 at 05:42 PM
CSL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #478
F8 Pilot
Bak in the Sadl & Lovinit

Oddometer: 81
The Ztechnik Experiment

OK guys & gals here is my windshield experiment for my F800GS. I'm a noob so if I screw up the post be kind...I'm still learning.

Goal... to be able to hear myself think while riding at freeway speeds.

Stats: I'm 5'10'' (used to be 5'11" but shrunk with age) and an inseam of 31".

We all know how ineffective the stock shield is in blocking the wind and reducing turbulence (ha! increasing is more like it). My bike came installed with the stock sized smoked windshield and the clear one in a box (Brand new in box...anyone interested?). While the smoked color looks great it doesn't block any more than the clear...imagine that.

In relation to me and my size...stocker = wind on chest and complete head (feels like you're riding in the open air) Had a hard time hearing my music and GPS instructions at high speed. Very Noisy!

I first bought the Ztechnik Short Sport VStream, Dark Tint because I liked the look of it and hoped it would block enough wind. It did indeed block more than the stocker. Wind got off my chest and was now hitting me at chin level. Still too much wind noise and buffeting...would be good for summer. This screen did not hit the stock mirrors. It did however just touch the clutch and brake lever just slightly when going lock-to-lock. I called them and it turns out they shipped me one of the early production models which was a little too wide. They offered to send me a new corrected one free of charge.

Since it didn't block enough wind for my liking I asked if I could upgrade to the next size and would gladly pay the difference. They agreed but did mention that with the larger shields their Mirror Extenders would be necessary...so I ordered them as well. After installation I took it out for a run. It was blocking even more (as expected ) wind and turbulence. It moved from chin level up to my eye level. So I was still getting some wind resistance on the top of my head. Noise was reduced but still louder than desired.

While the mirror extenders did a perfect job in moving the mirrors far enough so the shield didn't hit them a new problem arose. The windshield was hitting their mirror extender brackets! To complicate matters it was hitting significantly more on the throttle side than the clutch side. I think the reason for the "hitting" disparity is I had also installed a Kakao Cruise Control which moved the assembly inward 3/8". But believing they shouldn't be hitting at all, since they designed them for their shields, I called them again. They were perplexed and asked me to measure the width of the shield and it should be 14". Well mine measured 14.5"! Again they said that somehow an early production model must have been shipped by mistake and they would ship another one promptly. (Is anyone seeing a trend developing here? )
Since it still wasn't blocking enough I asked if I could upgrade again and of course pay the difference. They gladly agreed.

When the Ztechnik Medium Touring VStream showed up I was very excited and felt that at last all my problems would be behind me or at least not hitting me in the face. After a quick install I headed for the freeway. Not only did the wind disappear I had to turn my iPod volume down to almost half!

It definitely did the trick. After I passed the first Semi I couldn't believe it. No blast putting back on the passenger seat! In fact if I closed my eyes (not recommended) I wouldn't have known I was passing a Semi. The wind was now just barely knicking the very top of my helmet. It actually felt and sounded great (actually lack of Sound).

All was well until I checked the lock-to-lock clearance. It was still hitting their extender brackets!!!!!! Exactly the same way on the previous shield. Guess who I called...no not Ghostbusters...but maybe I should have. They said there is no way it should be hitting. They have the same setup on there 800 and nothing hits. I even took it to my BMW dealership and we played with all kinds of adjustments and nothing worked.

Well, that's where we stand at this point. I'm still waiting to hear back from Z'boyz on a solution. It sure makes riding more enjoyable especially in winter time. My main concern is if I were to "dump" the bike in the dirt, on the starboard side. When the handlebars smack the ground and go to lock, the shield or something is going to break.
Not that I plan on falling over or anything but, Shifts Happen

I must say the product itself is of very high quality and the Z'boyz have been very helpful and accommodating. Here is their website for all the exact specs on all their shields..they even have one more larger size for you Vertically Challenged Riders.

http://www.ztechnik.com/products/index.html

Let's hope they come up with a solution for the hitting problem. That's all folks. I'm sure ya'l have some questions, suggestions and observations so lets hear um.

F8 Pilot screwed with this post 12-30-2009 at 05:22 PM
F8 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #479
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Can't see any of your pix, F8 Pilot. And the links to them require a password.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:16 PM   #480
AKTroy
BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer: 2,211
All your pics are locked up.
AKTroy is offline   Reply With Quote