Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2009, 08:18 AM   #91
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
Now that's a great-looking screen. I noticed it's listed as selling for 521 Euros here: http://www.touratech.com/shops/011/p...f1af8a51af4213. That's a lot of cash!

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #92
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
that looks good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc

pretty hot but the new tank of their's looking a lil ugly

That looks quite functional! It appears to have an opening between the fairing and windshield allowing air to flow up the backside. My 96 RT has this same design and is whisper quite with very little wind. It even gets bugs on the back side.... I don't expect the same protection on the little GS as my RT but really need to get the noise level down, if the GS is going to be a traveling bike. (Im very sensitive to noise and even with custom noise plugs it can be bothersome)

Tried the calsci tall windshield thinking the small hole in the bottom would equalize the pressure. But the buffing was terrible. Im going to try a medium but dont have high expectations. The idea of the hole is good, but IMHO it needs to have a "chute".

My buddies 1200GS has an Aeroflow with a half fairing and separate windshield, and it seems to work great! Not as quite and wind free as an RT but waaaay better than a stock GS screen. Looks like this one.

So I'm hoping Aeroflow will make a shield similar to this for the 800GS, or maybe this one from Touratech, but 521 euros!
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #93
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubwould
That looks quite functional! It appears to have an opening between the fairing and windshield allowing air to flow up the backside. My 96 RT has this same design and is whisper quite with very little wind. It even gets bugs on the back side.... I don't expect the same protection on the little GS as my RT but really need to get the noise level down, if the GS is going to be a traveling bike. (Im very sensitive to noise and even with custom noise plugs it can be bothersome)

Tried the calsci tall windshield thinking the small hole in the bottom would equalize the pressure. But the buffing was terrible. Im going to try a medium but dont have high expectations. The idea of the hole is good, but IMHO it needs to have a "chute".

My buddies 1200GS has an Aeroflow with a half fairing and separate windshield, and it seems to work great! Not as quite and wind free as an RT but waaaay better than a stock GS screen. Looks like this one.

So I'm hoping Aeroflow will make a shield similar to this for the 800GS, or maybe this one from Touratech, but 521 euros!
Dude...I'm speechless.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:53 AM   #94
Peter800GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Puke

Bought a Wunderlich High Touring Screen for my 800GS. I'm 185cm or 6'1" and the wind hits me smack in the eyes. Wasted AUS$320.00. For sale in Sydney Aust if anyone shorter is interested locally.
Peter800GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #95
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter800GS
Bought a Wunderlich High Touring Screen for my 800GS.
I too have a Wunderlich High screen, and am 5' 10". The wind hits me square in the face at highway speeds.

I'm disappointed, as I had a Wunderlich screen on my previous F650 Dakar (single cylinder) and loved it.

This one, not so much...

Thankfully it was much cheaper than $320 AUS, so I don't feel as bad.

We might have to look into that newly announced TouraTech Desierto 3 when it gets to the States, I'm thinkin'.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #96
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B

Anyone stick a Laminar Lip onto the BM Touring Screen yet
Old 02-12-2009, 06:37 AM   #97
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
Dude...I'm speechless.
Im not much of one for looks! Except women, with them I have impeccable taste, or so my wife says.

Got the Short screen from CaliSci, buffeting is almost as bad as the Tall. So back to the search.

Sounds like the BMW touring screen works well.
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #98
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubwould
Sounds like the BMW touring screen works well.
No buffeting, but I'd still like more wind protection. The extreme curvavture/slope makes the flow pretty clean at your helmet, but I'd prefer the flow to go over my helmet, and I'd also like a little less pressure on my shoulders.

FWIW, I'm 6'0" and if I duck just a few inches, it clears up significantly.

ALSO FWIW, I'd be worried about putting an extra spoiler (LL, etc.) on the top of the screen.
bxr140 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #99
MCMXCIVRS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
No buffeting, but I'd still like more wind protection. The extreme curvavture/slope makes the flow pretty clean at your helmet, but I'd prefer the flow to go over my helmet, and I'd also like a little less pressure on my shoulders.

FWIW, I'm 6'0" and if I duck just a few inches, it clears up significantly.

ALSO FWIW, I'd be worried about putting an extra spoiler (LL, etc.) on the top of the screen.
Sounds like exactly what I'd like. I don't mind the air flow on the helmet as long as its smooth and not turbulent. I have just a 1/2" less altitude than you, so I may just look at getting one of these screens added onto the bill when I pick the bike up. Its also one of the few screens that I like the look of on the bike.

1 month and counting until D (delivery) Day.
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #100
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
You know if you tilt the windshield forward just a little you will also move the airflow higher on your helmet.

Only problem I see are posed by the two side screws. Without them you could add 1/4 or 3/8 thick washers as a start to the 4 other screws and that would move the shield forward and the airflow up. Depending on how thick the grommets or washers you use the greater or lesser the angle. I have an RS with an adjustable windshield that does just that and an Aeroflow on my 1150GS adjusted to perfection using this method. It might be an easy mod if you can only figure out how to anchor the sides of the shield....
Old 02-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #101
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
my new c baily [IMG]
Beta Techno

huckleberry screwed with this post 03-17-2009 at 08:48 PM
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:49 AM   #102
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
You know if you tilt the windshield forward just a little you will also move the airflow higher on your helmet.

Only problem I see are posed by the two side screws. Without them you could add 1/4 or 3/8 thick washers as a start to the 4 other screws and that would move the shield forward and the airflow up. Depending on how thick the grommets or washers you use the greater or lesser the angle. I have an RS with an adjustable windshield that does just that and an Aeroflow on my 1150GS adjusted to perfection using this method. It might be an easy mod if you can only figure out how to anchor the sides of the shield....
Harry:
I wonder if there is enough "meat" there such that you could just drill another hole (say) 1/4" lower than standard at the two side mounting points?

This would increase the angle of attack ... but now the base of the shield on the sides would not be parallel to the lines of the bike.... maybe no big deal ... I'm just talking.....

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:52 PM   #103
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Harry:
I wonder if there is enough "meat" there such that you could just drill another hole (say) 1/4" lower than standard at the two side mounting points?

This would increase the angle of attack ... but now the base of the shield on the sides would not be parallel to the lines of the bike.... maybe no big deal ... I'm just talking.....

Jim
If I just paid $$$ for an aftermarket shield that was just a touch off the mark ... I'd be more than willing to drill a hole to see. As to the look of the bike, well, as long as I'm on it and wearing a full face lid I'm not going to worry. I remember the first time I saw my reflection in a store front window riding my then new R11GS, I cringed. That was when I took the pledge for ATGATT. It works for some of my more famous neighbors who sneak by the paparazzi on their bikes wearing full face darkened lids....

BTW, I decided like Phil and others to add a "Lip" to the stock shield. So far so good.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #104
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
If I just paid $$$ for an aftermarket shield that was just a touch off the mark ... I'd be more than willing to drill a hole to see. As to the look of the bike, well, as long as I'm on it and wearing a full face lid I'm not going to worry. I remember the first time I saw my reflection in a store front window riding my then new R11GS, I cringed. That was when I took the pledge for ATGATT. It works for some of my more famous neighbors who sneak by the paparazzi on their bikes wearing full face darkened lids....

BTW, I decided like Phil and others to add a "Lip" to the stock shield. So far so good.
Harry:

I like the concept I think... you gotta help me with the acronym .. ATGATT

With the BMW Adv. shield maybe the extra hole (or a slot) would not work due the the additional mounting bar/reinforcement.

What is this lip you speak of?

I just ordered the light-tint Skidmarx from Rob over at http://www.f800depot.com as a "not too expensive" experiment.

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #105
geno_rocket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Cal Sci Uppdate

Here in the Midwest, it has been way too cold to attempt anything other than short rides, until last Thursday at least. I finally got to put some serious miles on my F800GS with the Cal Sci. I'll give it a solid B+ for highway touring.

Pros: No buffeting. Keeps the wind blast off your face and chest. (Note, I used the sizing guide on the Cal Sci website and while I originally felt the screen interfered with sight lines, on the superslab it works just fine)

Cons: Fugly. Need to go back to the stock shield if you are dual sporting. Some wind blast on the shoulders.
geno_rocket is offline   Reply With Quote