User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
IndyTim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
KTM 640 feeblemindedness

I'm referring to my mind, not the bike's.

I'm trying to get her ready for spring riding (and now I'm referring to the bike of course).

Long story short, had to remove and reinstall the carb last fall. I (being lazy) did not take any pictures prior to disassembly. Had to disconnect several harness connectors to get things out of the way, but when I got it back together there were a couple loose connectors hanging around.

I haven't been riding much the last 3-4 years and I feel like I've forgotten more than I know at this point. But I seem to recall that there were originally at least a couple wires-to-nowhere on this bike.

The problem is that when I got her started back up last fall, she only ran a minute or less, then slowly died out. Seemingly out of fuel, with an extra-lean sound. But fuel flow, at least TO the carb, wasn't the issue. It was fresh gas, as well.

I'm wondering if one of those connectors should be going to some sensor that I overlooked, except I can't find anything within range that they'd connect to.

I've been going back over the bike, checking and re-checking and can't find another possible cause.

Other than... I had removed the carb so I could get the dang bowl off, and I had to do that to replace a buggered drain plug -- those things get super brittle over time and will crush if you look at them wrong. Theoretically I introduced some small particle into the carb during reassembly. I guess, but that would be a first for me.

Any thoughts/advice/recommendations, or pictures of these wires on the 640 you happen to have sitting nearby?

Here are the offending connectors, all hanging right around the carb area:
1 (Blk with green stripe)
2 (2 wires, black with yellow stripe, red w/ black stripe)
3 (solid yellow)

2007 KTM 640 Adventure
1987 Mooney 252/Encore
IndyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
SCsurfer
surfing explorer

Oddometer: 171
These all go to nothing on our bike.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 5,218
So when you open the new drain screw does fuel drain out?

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:49 AM   #4
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Thinking analytically:

you removed and reinstalled the carb - is it getting enough fuel? have you pinched a fuel line during installation of the tank? Is there an air leak on the rubber between the carb and the head? with the engine running spray carb cleaner around the rubber and listen for changes to the engine note. (watch the hot exhaust with carb cleaner.)

Had the bike been sitting for a while? it could be condensation in the fuel tank or float bowl, or a gummed up carb. give it some fresh fuel and drain the carb, or remove it and give it a clean with carb cleaner and blow the jets through with compressed air.

why did you remove the carb - presumably for access something else. Could this be causing the issue?

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #5
IndyTim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Thanks for the feedback.

It sat for a while - I was out of riding, working on a pilot's license and learning to fly. I'm doing a lot of cleaning and re-organizing around the garage, just trying to get my head back into actually working on stuff again.

An air leak around the head inlet sounds plausible, as does a possible fuel line squeeze. It's still in good shape, looking forward to riding again.
2007 KTM 640 Adventure
1987 Mooney 252/Encore

IndyTim screwed with this post 04-18-2015 at 02:40 PM
IndyTim is offline   Reply With Quote