Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #151
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thank you RideFreak, appreciate it mate.
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 AM   #152
greendude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak
Thats correct, route the three down and back. Not shure on the capped off fitting, I don't think it's a vent though, mine came capped off.

Yes and Yes
capped off pipe is a vacumn take off for things like vacumn operated fuel taps keep it capped on your XR
greendude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #153
mazman808
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Awesome, thank you sir
Cant wait to put this thing on...
mazman808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #154
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
I've breezed though this whole thread and am at a dilemma. I want the easiest possible carb on my 650R (set it and forget it)...but all you TM40 fans are scaring me that an Edelbrock wouldn't run as good as the stocker!

I'm leaning towards a TM40, but what all is required to install it? I figure I'll need longer cables...but what about the boots to make it fit?

Fill me in on installation for both of them please.

Thanks
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #155
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
The edelbrock runs just as fine as the stocker. The stock carb does work great at WOT but if your not there all of the time, screw it.

I race my pig (finally getting decent at it too!) and if there is any drop in performance on the top I don't notice it. The pump does make a difference and I bet I can tune it to do more but by far the best thing ive found is the EASY starting. Drop it, just get up, kick (once), point bike and go.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #156
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44
I've breezed though this whole thread and am at a dilemma. I want the easiest possible carb on my 650R (set it and forget it)...but all you TM40 fans are scaring me that an Edelbrock wouldn't run as good as the stocker!

I'm leaning towards a TM40, but what all is required to install it? I figure I'll need longer cables...but what about the boots to make it fit?

Fill me in on installation for both of them please.

Thanks
The easiet way to go is to get the TM40-XR650R kit from Sudco.com. It comes with a new throttle, cables, and the carb. They say it comes pre-jetted but that hasn't been my experiance. However, there's enough jetting information in this thread to get you fixed up.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS Kee-rist it's heavy
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #157
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
I had an Edelbrock Quicksilver carb on my 1996 KTM620 RXC (stock), with the KTM "Race" needle. I hated that thing. It was finicky and hard to start at random times. The carb was pretty, and was very well built, but it did not perform well at all. Most folks with RXC's of that era changed them out for different carbs.
In fact, I hated the whole bike (way too tall, heavy, and vibrated more than any bike I have ever owned)... and sold it quickly.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #158
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by gplassm
I had an Edelbrock Quicksilver carb on my 1996 KTM620 RXC (stock), with the KTM "Race" needle. I hated that thing. It was finicky and hard to start at random times. The carb was pretty, and was very well built, but it did not perform well at all. Most folks with RXC's of that era changed them out for different carbs.
In fact, I hated the whole bike (way too tall, heavy, and vibrated more than any bike I have ever owned)... and sold it quickly.

I don't think your talking about the same carb.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #159
cdogg44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
The easiet way to go is to get the TM40-XR650R kit from Sudco.com. It comes with a new throttle, cables, and the carb. They say it comes pre-jetted but that hasn't been my experiance. However, there's enough jetting information in this thread to get you fixed up.
I called on this today and they said they are out of the carbs until the first of the year.

Any other suppliers out there? If I bought one used what do I need make sure it has with it?
cdogg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #160
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by header

I don't think your talking about the same carb.
My mistake. But, Edelbrock has more than one "Quicksilver" carb? The carb that is tuned with the needle only?....because that is what was on my RXC, and it was pretty much junk.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #161
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdogg44
I called on this today and they said they are out of the carbs until the first of the year.

Any other suppliers out there? If I bought one used what do I need make sure it has with it?
I'm interested in one also...does anyone have any sugestions...
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #162
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Party on, Garthe! ;) I have a 40mm FCR Keihin that I am planning to try when I get around to it. But I hear it may not fit beneath my tank and require some thermoforming?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 PM   #163
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95
Party on, Garthe! ;) I have a 40mm FCR Keihin that I am planning to try when I get around to it. But I hear it may not fit beneath my tank and require some thermoforming?
You better wear something on your hand while 'forming'...I here it gets REALLY HOT .
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #164
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
E-Brock

I've had 3 RXC KTM's, 2, 620's and a 400. All had the E-Brock and I had the competition vent kit and accel pump added to all of them by Edelbrock. Maybe the new ones are different but I found with the single needle tuning concept, you could get it to run -reasonably- well in the low to midrange, or mid to top end but never both at the same time. The choke was kinda mickey mouse on them but they started "OK". All were replaced with Mik BST40's and the carb problems were solved. Again, maybe the newer E'Brocks are different and these problems have been addressed, I don't know. Unless I could ride a bike with a new E'brock on it and confirm it starts and runs to my liking, I'd certainly consider other options such as the TM of the FCR. Hope this helps.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '01 640 Lc4E
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #165
dirtyoffroad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
I'm running Brock carb,seems I have to turn up idle adjust 1/2 to 3/4 turn to start then turn down after warmup