User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,961
iPhat 6

Tell you what, I'm looking forward to a smart phone that will fit my big hands.

Not to mention being easier on my old man's eyes.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,999

You're welcome

But seriously, maybe something like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Old 08-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #3
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post

You're welcome

But seriously, maybe something like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Not wanting to revisit the Apple vs. Droid debate, but some guys (myself included) drank the Apple Koolaid long ago, and would like a bigger phone. I'm not one of the latter, I think that the verging-on-tablet-sized Droids to be in the 'taint category, 'taint a phone and 'taint a tablet, but I certainly understand the concept of YMMV.

I read a business article recently that said that tablet sales have dropped substantially, and that many former tablet purchasers are going either to smaller laptops, or bigger phones. Makes sense.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:46 AM   #4
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
Hell, I'm just the other way around and am going to weep a bit when they stop supporting the iPhone 4s. I don't need bigger. I need it to fit in my pocket/holster and not be so big that it gets caught as I work.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
Hell, I'm just the other way around and am going to weep a bit when they stop supporting the iPhone 4s. I don't need bigger. I need it to fit in my pocket/holster and not be so big that it gets caught as I work.
That's where I am at as well. I like a smaller phone, one that I can put in a pants pocket. I like having a tablet......and a laptop......for when I need them. And a camera! I still cannot think of my phone as a camera, even though my iPhone 5 has a fairly good one for a point-and-shoot, but I'm old-school enough that, to me, a camera is a camera, not a phone!

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #6
Andrew OP
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Not wanting to revisit the Apple vs. Droid debate, but some guys (myself included) drank the Apple Koolaid long ago, and would like a bigger phone. I'm not one of the latter, I think that the verging-on-tablet-sized Droids to be in the 'taint category, 'taint a phone and 'taint a tablet, but I certainly understand the concept of YMMV.

I read a business article recently that said that tablet sales have dropped substantially, and that many former tablet purchasers are going either to smaller laptops, or bigger phones. Makes sense.
I've used Droids, and watched other people use them, and I prefer the way Apple have laid out the interface. But even the physical dimensions of the 5s leaves me wanting... notching the size up a bit would be just the ticket, for me.

And I know Apple doesn't care about me individually... if they're going to a larger screen it's due to careful observation of trends.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
showkey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post

I read a business article recently that said that tablet sales have dropped substantially,

That's because tablets do NOT have to be replaced every six months..........like phones.
showkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
That's because tablets do NOT have to be replaced every six months..........like phones.
Phone don't need to be replaced every 6 months (assuming you look after them of course...) the phone companies/manufacturers are leading people around like sheep - I am running a 4 year old HTC that works just fine
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:31 AM   #9
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by showkey View Post
Well, yes, there is that!

I've had great luck with Apple stuff. I'm typing this on a six year old MacbookPro.....I did have to replace the battery pack once, but other than that the thing works like it did when new.....and my iPhones have both lasted over 2 years each. I do keep them in good rugged cases, however.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #10
legion
Wait Til Friday

Oddometer: 12,539
I've had iPhones for a long time and have bought all the same for my family. Well over a dozen of 'em. Last one's in my pocket though. I'm tired of their curious tendency to start working poorly after an upgrade.

Worse yet, they work really poorly by the time a couple years have clicked off. If you're just using it as a phone you might not notice it but if you coordinate your schedule or contacts, etc. trying to use it as a tool it's almost as if there's a shelf life on the product focused on getting you to upgrade.

Next one for me will be a Nokia 1520. Huge, nice cam, easy to see, fits in a shirt pocket, fast, and it ain't an apple.
legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:49 AM   #11
McCormack
eltiT resU motsuC

Oddometer: 5,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
I've had iPhones for a long time and have bought all the same for my family. Well over a dozen of 'em. Last one's in my pocket though. I'm tired of their curious tendency to start working poorly after an upgrade.

Worse yet, they work really poorly by the time a couple years have clicked off. If you're just using it as a phone you might not notice it but if you coordinate your schedule or contacts, etc. trying to use it as a tool it's almost as if there's a shelf life on the product focused on getting you to upgrade.

Next one for me will be a Nokia 1520. Huge, nice cam, easy to see, fits in a shirt pocket, fast, and it ain't an apple.
Sadly, I concur with this.

My next phone today will not be by Apple.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:21 AM   #12
traumatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I thought the bigger phones were too big, too. My company gave me a Nexus 5 as a gift and I didn't even use it due to the size. But my work phone was an android phone and it got bigger over time and I got used to it. Eventually, I replaced my iphone 4s with a Motorola S5 Active (its water resistance is a big draw for me) and I have to say that I really like the large size now. I don't find it to be any more inconvenient in my pocket and it is massively more convenient in my hand - typing is so much better and I really appreciate having the numbers on the main keyboard page. Incidentally, one feature of that phone that I haven't seen advertised anywhere is the fact that the screen is so sensitive it works with gloves on. That's a HUGE benefit for motorcyclists and bicyclists. I do occasionally accidentally interact with a widget on the lock screen if I put it in my pocket with the screen facing my leg, but other than that, I find the gloved access to be a tremendous benefit. On the rare occasion that I pull out my old iphone in order to grab some information from it, I find it to be ridiculously small, now. But I do miss the reliability of the apple platform. I have app crashes on android relatively frequently, whereas they were very rare on my iphone.
traumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 PM   #13
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,470
I didn't have any reason to upgrade from my 4s until a situation occured where I passed down my 4s and got a 5s. I had been put off a little by the 5s because they looked awkward to me. In reality, they aren't much different in size to the 4. A little thinner, and a little longer. Now that I have the 5, I could deal with a little more width as well... Oh well. For what these things cost, I hopefully won't need to upgrade till the 8 comes out.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
For what these things cost, I hopefully won't need to upgrade till the 8 comes out.
What is the cost you are talking about? My phone was 199. I sell it when I am done with it after 2 years for about 100. So it costs me 100 for two years of use. Pretty cheap.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Jonnylotto
All out of care

Oddometer: 15,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
I've used Droids, and watched other people use them, and I prefer the way Apple have laid out the interface. But even the physical dimensions of the 5s leaves me wanting... notching the size up a bit would be just the ticket, for me.

And I know Apple doesn't care about me individually... if they're going to a larger screen it's due to careful observation of trends.
Well then why didn't you look at the Samsung Note 3?

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...jet-black.html

It is the phone that's just a notch larger.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: