User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 01:43 AM   #1
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,474
Sewer Lateral Inspection

I'm in the process of selling my house. The buyer ordered a sewer inspection and the company says I need the lateral from my house to the City service replaced. The reason - a dip in the pipe due to subsidence (about 2" deflection over a 12" length. The total length of the lateral is about 85') that's pooling a little water. It's not causing any problems with the house as it's too far down the pipe and there is no flow impedance. They say there are root problems too but I had another company router it later and the plumber who did the work said it was a piece of cake and doubts I need to replace it. The pipe is 4" clay and is 55 years old.

To replace it they have to dig up the road. It can't be an in-place because of the subsidence. There's no City required compliance to close escrow and the mortgage lender didn't require it but my realtor says now it's done the Bank will not fund without a clean certificate.

Quoted cost for the replacement from the inspection company $10k and it's my cost as the buyer's not interested in paying. I'm getting a second opinion on the inspection but any plumbers or experience with lateral main inspections here? Hard to know what to question or if it really should be replaced. Dunno, just spit balling as I'm in shock and we're seven days to contingencies being lifted.
Old Today, 02:15 AM   #2
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,719
You must be a motivated seller.

Bay Area? This market? If your buyer won't accept it as is put it back on the market with a disclosure.

If the buyer's bank is "balking" over something so piddly there must be something else going on.
Old Today, 03:43 AM   #3
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
That sounds like 95% of the sewers here. Nothing wrong with it and it probably will continue to function for another 55 years. The only problem is that someone can point at it and say that it is an issue and you need to give them 10k off of the house.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:05 AM   #4
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post
You must be a motivated seller.

Bay Area? This market? If your buyer won't accept it as is put it back on the market with a disclosure.

If the buyer's bank is "balking" over something so piddly there must be something else going on.
Here's the thing, the bank so far doesn't know. I have no idea if they even care, it's my realtor who's representing both me and the buyer (don't ask) who's told me this.

Right now my plan is to get a second opinion (video inspection with recording) and if that opinion is it's not a problem then I will use it as a take it or leave it. That $10k seems high too as some initial research the price usually falls in the $5-6k range.

P.s. And yes I'm motivated. The job is going tits up and I want to move out of State
Old Today, 04:09 AM   #5
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
That sounds like 95% of the sewers here. Nothing wrong with it and it probably will continue to function for another 55 years. The only problem is that someone can point at it and say that it is an issue and you need to give them 10k off of the house.

In Oakland I believe they have an ordinance that requires it for escrow to close. No such requirement in my City.
Old Today, 04:20 AM   #6
pnhd65
renaissance man

Oddometer: 324
Call around for an excavator that has a horizontal boring machine. You can bore a hole under the road and not have to dig it up. 85' of 4'' schedule 40, a couple of cleanouts, you should be done by lunch time. 10K, ridiculous!
pnhd65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:12 AM   #7
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnhd65 View Post
Call around for an excavator that has a horizontal boring machine. You can bore a hole under the road and not have to dig it up. 85' of 4'' schedule 40, a couple of cleanouts, you should be done by lunch time. 10K, ridiculous!

They would still have to dig up the road to make the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:37 AM   #8
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,038
If your realtor is representing both sides, then they can kick in 5k to make the deal happen. Otherwise they get nothing.
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:15 AM   #9
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
If your realtor is representing both sides, then they can kick in 5k to make the deal happen. Otherwise they get nothing.
1. Sewer pipes are supposed to be straight and have no dips because dips, which cause standing sewerage, will lead to blockages and eventually failure of the pipe.

2. It is going to be hard to get out of this cost. I usually get the real estate agent to cut his commission. IMO, they get paid way too much anyhow. I have never had a problem getting them to at least chip in a good portion. If the buyer really likes your house get him to also pay a part of the cost. Wheel and deal!

3. Since the agent is representing both parties , he is getting double the usual commission. He should really be motivated to make this deal work. What is the sale price and commission? I can't emphasize enough that you need to put real pressure on the agent. Be firm that you want all parties to share in the cost including the broker. Make him squirm and don't feel guilty about it-that is the nature of the business.

4. Most agents have the names of contractors who work cheap. They give the contractor a lot of business for discounted rates when necessary. Tell him to find someone to do it for 5 or 6 thousand dollars. Make him earn his commission. Make him make the deal work! Make him find the cheap contractor. If some of the cost is coming out of his pocket he will really try hard for the best deal.

5. The problem with home inspections is that inspectors are paid to find problems both big and small to get the price down. Once they cite "problems" you and your agent are obligated to disclose them to every perspective buyer, so the problem won't just go away.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:56 AM   #10
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
5. The problem with home inspections is that inspectors are paid to find problems both big and small to get the price down. Once they cite "problems" you and your agent are obligated to disclose them to every perspective buyer, so the problem won't just go away.
This. Everyone involved in the housing business seems to be a blood sucking scumbag. The realtors are a cartel that look after their own to the point you don't have a clue what's really going on.

As for the inspection it seems to be a mix of genuine and nit picking shit to pad the list and get potential business for themselves. If the second opinion confirms the sewer needs replacement I will have to get it done one way or the other. It's just who's going to pay for it
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #11
JNRobert OP
Breaking Wind

Quote:
exactly what I've asked for
Old Today, 07:37 AM   #12
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 913
House value and commission percentage?
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #13
sprocket3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Offer them $5000 towards closing costs or a reduced price. I bet they live with a little dip in the pipe to save $5000 out of pocket at closing. I'd send a little drama out to the agent so he/ she stars to stress about the HUGE double ended commission.

Honestly, if you're acting soft and motivated the agent is going to pass that info down to the buyer and they will try to get more from you.
sprocket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #14
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Bingo.

Though you said "Don't ask", this is why you have a listing (sellers agent) and not a dual agent. Who's side are they representing in this? If they're smart, they'll want to keep the price as high as possible to gain the largest commission. Make sure that's not forgotten when you have him chip in for this little project.

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #15
03rubicon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Why can't the contractor dig up and just fix the " dip " leaving the rest of the pipe in place.
03rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: