User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
dasrider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
New washer and dryer time

So it's finally time to lose the college-era washer and dryer my wife and I have been using since the late '90s. We're actively researching and shopping what's out there. We really don't care too much about front load vs top load washer, we just want whatever works best. We're doing laundry just about every other day it seems, so we'll need something that is reliable.

Anybody in the know that can chime in about what's good? I've seen some talk about Speed Queen and Fisher-Paykel. Are they any better or worse than the typical store-carried brands?
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
The wife and I are really liking our new front-load Duet 4.1 cubic foot washer. My parents have been running one trouble free for about ten years now.

When you get a new washer, be sure to note if it needs "High Efficiency" detergent. It doesn't cost any more it seems, but the normal stuff will tear up the pumps in some of the modern washers. The HE washers have high speed pumps, and the normal detergent makes more suds than the HE stuff - which causes the pumps to cavitate. Which breaks pumps.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,354
I'm fond of my Asko set. I like needing only one power plug and one water line. The dryer plugs into 220 and the washer plugs into the dryer. The washer heats its own water, so the temp is set to a specific level, not some ambiguous cold, warm, or hot. The set is 11 years old now and works fine. Clean out the pump trap once in awhile and all is good.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Buzz363
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Go with the front load washer. Way more efficient. I wash a lot of uniforms and dri fit gym wear and they come out just needing to dry a bit on a hanger.
Buzz363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
crampfan
not really a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,400
I bought my wife a samsung HE top load washer and drier . The washer has a super high speed spin cycle that gets the clothes almost dry saving time in the drier. We've had it for about three years with no problems. The wife loves them. I liked the quality much better than the others we looked at.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #6
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,689
Whirlpool duet front loading for us, or should I say the wife. Had the set since 2006, trouble free and used almost daily with our family of 4, sometimes multiple load days.

got the option pedestal stands for them as well, which raises the doors to about hip level and adds storage.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
PoundSand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,192
avoid the fancy electronics.
PoundSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundSand View Post
avoid the fancy electronics.
The more simple, the better. Fancy electronics break and cost a lot to fix. I do a lot of repairs on machines for people. When something happens to a machine with fancy electronics, it is usually a circuit board and really expensive (like get a new machine expensive). When something happens to a simple machine, it is usually a $20 switch or sensor.

Also, front load high efficient machines can take a really long time to do a load of laundry. They use less water and wash for longer periods of time. I know someone who had to buy a second washing machine because it took so long to do a load. He liked the lower water consumption, so for him it was better to buy another machine in order to get all the laundry done.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
sacto929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Still using Bosch NEXXT set for going on 12 years. I've replaced pumps and deflectors, etc., but it keeps on ticking. Heed the warning on the HE detergent, then use the bare assed minimum per the recommendations. The foam will trip a sensor and lock mine up with an error that has to be reset by manually draining the pump. Also, baby socks tend to get sucked into the high speed pumps....
Old 12-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
Jarlaxle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Front loaders are great...use the HE detergent, and a TINY amount! My mother's uses about a tablespoon for a FULL load.

(Having said that, I'm too cheap to replace my early-80s Kenmore washer and late-70s Speed Queen dryer, because they still work perfectly.)
Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #11
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
I like the top load. The front loads I have delt with (friends, family, room mate) have proven troublesome. Seals leak. They smell. Get moldy if you store them with the door closed. The cheaper ones the loading door is small and hard to get into. For me, large capacity top load. I even do the HE, although I don't really care. Had a Whirlpool Cabrio that was a basketcase. Bearings, pumps, hose all had issues. None that hard to fix. The bearings were the final straw. Proper fix was a new tub, I just kept putting bearings in it. Shaft got tore up and couldn't seal washing out the bearings. I couldn't get a quick fix around the bad shaft. Found out I got an early build that had issues. Co-worker got the same one a year later and been completely trouble free. I am currently running a GE Adora that I feel washes even better than the Whirlpool ever did. Couple years old at this point so no long term results yet.

I do like the new stuff that is direct drive. No belts or transmissions.

For a dryer I prefer gas. Grew up with it. I can tell in the power bills. $10 of gas is worth $20 in electricity. Still running the Whirlpool Cabrio dryer 8 years later. All I ever do to it is clean the lint screen.

Grew up with Kennmore stuff. Upper grade or base model didn't matter with those. Always needed work after a few years. I was getting good at replacing bearings and pump on them.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #12
Yooper_Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,666
If you put water in a glass....do you pour it in from the top, or try to cram it in the side via a door????

Top load washer all the way.

Stay away from Maytag.

Keep it cheap and simple.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Bob View Post
If you put water in a glass....do you pour it in from the top, or try to cram it in the side via a door????
My front-loader adds water from the top. And hasn't leaked a drop since 2003.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
Speedqueen

/end thread
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
Bappo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider_WV View Post
Speedqueen

/end thread
What he said.

Bought a fancy HE front load and hated them. Finally gave up and bought less expensive Speed Queen stuff and couldn't be happier.
Bappo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: