Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 600 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #15151
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
I don't think all guns come from Interarms. There are many variables.
Do you know from an authoritative source that some guns can be matched to spent shell cases solely from marks left by the breech face?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #15152
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Do you know from an authoritative source that some guns can be matched to spent shell cases solely from marks left by the breech face?
So you are saying that a piece/mark many times smaller (the firing pin strike) is the holy grail of comparators? I don't think so.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #15153
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have a Nagant revolver and it is very intresting. The double action pull is best done with a pair of vice grips.
The design is awesome, but they neglected to make the frame bigger so to have more leverage.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #15154
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So you are saying that a piece/mark many times smaller (the firing pin strike) is the holy grail of comparators? I don't think so.
I said nothing of the kind. To repeat my question, can you cite any authoritative source which states that a spent casing can be matched to a gun even when the firing pin, extractor, and barrel have been replaced?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #15155
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
I said nothing of the kind. To repeat my question, can you cite any authoritative source which states that a spent casing can be matched to a gun even when the firing pin, extractor, and barrel have been replaced?

What you are saying/said is that the firing pin mark trumps the marks left by the breech face upon the brass and primer. Since the mark left by the pin is tiny by comparison, I'm calling you silly.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #15156
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Or swap barrels and extractors.
It's ridiculously easy to swap barrels.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM   #15157
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
will be a ccw, is it depenable , durable, you know, a decent firearm for the money.
With a good holster, you can conceal a full-sized 1911 and it'll actually be useful. My firearm instructors don't consider a .380 a "personal defense caliber".

They showed me a black office binder clip that they use to attach targets to the cardboard backing. It stopped a .380 round.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #15158
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What you are saying/said is that the firing pin mark trumps the marks left by the breech face upon the brass and primer. Since the mark left by the pin is tiny by comparison, I'm calling you silly.
No, that's not what I said. Read my posts again. And since you've twice dodged my question, its only fair to conclude that no authoritative source backs up your assertion that identifying marks left by the breech face alone can match a spent case to the gun it came from.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:27 PM   #15159
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
No, that's not what I said. Read my posts again. And since you've twice dodged my question, its only fair to conclude that no authoritative source backs up your assertion that identifying marks left by the breech face alone can match a spent case to the gun it came from.
I see that you're a lover of single edged of logic.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #15160
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,330
Cz 82

Picked up a another CZ 82 recently. Damn, the trigger slap on this one hurts!
My finger was numb after one magazine.

The other one I've had for several years has a bit of slap but it's not really a bother.

What's up with this one? Change out the recoil spring?
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #15161
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I see that you're a lover of single edged of logic.
Do let us know when you can come up with something that at least resembles an answer to my question.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #15162
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,516

Fck, I love this place...

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #15163
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Quote:
Do let us know when you can come up with something that at least resembles an answer to my question.
I understand that holding your breath until your cherubic cheeks turned blue may have worked for you once upon a time but were I you, I'd not hold my breath.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #15164
ImaPoser
adventure imposter

Oddometer: 15,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
I've always looked at 70-75% of street/retail (not MSRP) is a good starting point for used firearm in very good condition.
Let me know when you're selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
yeah ... 50 percent is killer .... 70 percent is decent .... 80 percent is a 1911!
I'd love to be finding stuff used in very good condition for 70-75% of street prices.
It seems most around here ask 100% of best internet price for used guns.
They figure no tax, no shipping cost, no FFl transfer fees make up for it. They may be on to something though. I've emailed thee different people about 10/22's within hours of them being listed at what I consider a fair price simply stating "I'll take it, where/when can we meet?" To be answered it is already sold. I know one of them was back up for sale within three days for $125 more.

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #15165
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
I'd love to be finding stuff used in very good condition for 70-75% of street prices.
It seems most around here ask 100% of best internet price for used guns.
They figure no tax, no shipping cost, no FFl transfer fees make up for it. They may be on to something though. I've emailed thee different people about 10/22's within hours of them being listed at what I consider a fair price simply stating "I'll take it, where/when can we meet?" To be answered it is already sold. I know one of them was back up for sale within three days for $125 more.
That's definitely true around here, especially for popular/desirable guns. I think that lots of buyers are willing to pay a premium to not have the transaction "on the books" and to not have a gun "registered" in their name. That doesn't mean that they are criminals, most definitely are not, but a lot of gun people don't like the idea that their gun(s) can be tracked.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: