Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 488 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #15166
hutch451
aka pork shoulder

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Do you know from an authoritative source that some guns can be matched to spent shell cases solely from marks left by the breech face?
could you not just bring out the old dremel and polish the face with a relatively abrasive medium and solve that problem?
hutch451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #15167
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch451 View Post
could you not just bring out the old dremel and polish the face with a relatively abrasive medium and solve that problem?
No, he's saying to leave that alone (like that'd make a difference) and swap out that pesky firing pin.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #15168
fxstbiluigi
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 11,700
But you also have breech and extractor marks to deal with.
fxstbiluigi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #15169
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,670
Just change the grips. THat's all you really need to do.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #15170
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,301
Or if you have a Glock, install the side sights, and all the markings will be off by 90*.
Old 02-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #15171
SoCalJeff
In the wind

Oddometer: 211
Great thread!! There are some great pics and guns in here.

SoCalJeff screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 02:38 PM
SoCalJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #15172
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
+1, that has been my experience as well. I cannot recall ever having purchased a gun at a gun-show, have bought all of mine either from shops or private parties. I go to shows just to see the sights, and sometimes I'll pick up some ammo, supplies, magazines (clips, not periodicals), or parts.

That said, I did see two really nice S&W revolvers at a gun-show last fall that were priced reasonably well and I was sorely tempted. I didn't end up buying them, but am now wishing I had.
Down here in Floriduh revolver prices are through the roof. Smith & Wesson's are out of this world for used guns (priced like new). Tons of autos at an OK price but wheel guns are over the top. There was a Springfield bolt rifle in 30-06 w/scope for $ 485.00 but I don't know enough to tell if it has been shot out or not.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #15173
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Let me know when you're selling.

I'd love to be finding stuff used in very good condition for 70-75% of street prices.
It seems most around here ask 100% of best internet price for used guns.
They figure no tax, no shipping cost, no FFl transfer fees make up for it. They may be on to something though. I've emailed thee different people about 10/22's within hours of them being listed at what I consider a fair price simply stating "I'll take it, where/when can we meet?" To be answered it is already sold. I know one of them was back up for sale within three days for $125 more.
I compute out the door and some allowance for goodies.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:53 AM   #15174
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,845
Quote:
As far as I know, there is no problem to be solved. No one but Motoplaner seems to think that the breech face leaves a sufficient number of identifying markers on the case to match it to the gun. It's not a claim he's been able to back up, despite my repeated requests that he do so.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #15175
rollinrob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
[QUOTE=SoCalJeff;15303341]Great thread!! There are some great pics and guns in here. Thought I'd share some of mine. With California gun laws the way the are, I decided to pic up 2 ARs while I could....

Being in California myself I'm looking to go the Saiga route. Trying to decide between the 308 Saiga or the 7.62x39. Lots of mods for these guns out there.
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #15176
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,670
Quote:
As far as I know, there is no problem to be solved. No one but Motoplaner seems to think that the breech face leaves a sufficient number of identifying markers on the case to match it to the gun. It's not a claim he's been able to back up, despite my repeated requests that he do so.

The ability to match a specific gun with a specific cartridge is a very difficult proposition. That's why most crime labs use the spent bullet when and if they can find it.

Breech face will yield nothing. The major identifiers are, in order, the barrel, the firing pin and the ejector.

Match the spent bullet with the barrel, and the casing that came from the same gun's firing pin along with the ejection mark and you've got a match.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #15177
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
The ability to match a specific gun with a specific cartridge is a very difficult proposition. That's why most crime labs use the spent bullet when and if they can find it.

Breech face will yield nothing. The major identifiers are, in order, the barrel, the firing pin and the ejector.
Thank you. As I suspected, Motoplaner was talking out of his ass.

Quote:
Match the spent bullet with the barrel, and the casing that came from the same gun's firing pin along with the ejection mark and you've got a match.
So no single identifier on the casing (like the mark left by the firing pin) will be sufficient for a match.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 AM   #15178
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,290
Quote:
Thank you. As I suspected, Motoplaner was talking out of his ass.

So no single identifier on the casing (like the mark left by the firing pin) will be sufficient for a match.
Any of the three matches will suffice if the other two are not available or too damaged.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #15179
hutch451
aka pork shoulder

Oddometer: 1,458
This is presuming there are no fingerprints on the shell casing. I bet that trips up quite a few bad guys.
hutch451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 AM   #15180
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
This is presuming there are no fingerprints on the shell casing. I bet that trips up quite a few bad guys.
One of the first things I learned was to wear gloves or use a rag to load your magazines for your carry gun.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: