Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 467 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #15196
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
These forensic discussions remind me of something. I was watching The First 48 again one night and wondered how many crims use these reality cops shows for knowledge against the cops. As in how many do see others caught in a certain way then don't do that on their next murder and as a result don't get caught? I do see the majority get caught because they bragged or were seen by someone who knew who they were.
I think most criminals are too dumb and lazy to sit in front of a TV and take notes. If they were smart they wouldn't be a criminal in the first place.

Of course, there are the exceptions, but most of those don't get caught anyway.

When I was in drug interdiction it was generally accepted that we were just a force of survival of the fittest; we would catch the stupid criminals or the ones that had stepped on someone's toes enough that we got info on them to catch them. The smart powerful ones rarely got caught and even if they did they could often buy their way out of it, or bribe their way out of being arrested or even looked at.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #15197
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
They showed me a black office binder clip that they use to attach targets to the cardboard backing. It stopped a .380 round.
Just a thought: My clothes and skin are not made of the tough, springy metal that those binder clips are. A mag full of .380 should do just fine, given a couple of caveats: your assailant is not huge and/or is not covered by heavy winter clothes.

That being said, if you have only one gun for defense, .380 is probably not the way to go because it's not always summer and you can't always arrange to be assaulted by small-to-average-size scumbags.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #15198
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot View Post
Just a thought: My clothes and skin are not made of the tough, springy metal that those binder clips are. A mag full of .380 should do just fine, given a couple of caveats: your assailant is not huge and/or is not covered by heavy winter clothes.

That being said, if you have only one gun for defense, .380 is probably not the way to go because it's not always summer and you can't always arrange to be assaulted by small-to-average-size scumbags.
I don't shoot perps in the paper clip.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #15199
barefoot
Frustrated Rock Star

Oddometer: 624
Quote:
Well, if you're using a .380, the perp would be perfectly safe hiding behind his clip.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #15200
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,146
Quote:
With a good holster, you can conceal a full-sized 1911 and it'll actually be useful. My firearm instructors don't consider a .380 a "personal defense caliber".

They showed me a black office binder clip that they use to attach targets to the cardboard backing. It stopped a .380 round.
Bet him a case of beer that he is too chicken to get shot with a .380 (90 grains going at 1100 fps).

You will have free beer.

.38 special, or .380

Good holster will not conceal perfect all the time.

I rather have a .380 handy (I own two) than a .45 in the glove compartment (I own one) or a .44 in the saddlebag (I own one).
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #15201
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Well, if you're using a .380, the perp would be perfectly safe hiding behind his clip.

I guess, but I don't carry a .380.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #15202
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,146
Quote:

Some people would lead you to believe that one could swat away a .45 round that is not going over 999 feet per second
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #15203
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,251
Quote:

Just shoot it outta his hand.

Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #15204
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post

Some people would lead you to believe that one could swat away a .45 round that is not going over 999 feet per second
It would be traveling slower than the speed of sound, so you could probably hear it approaching and step out of the way in time.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #15205
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Just shoot it outta his hand.

I was driving down the street in a hood by the University of NM one day. This was during the last pres elections. They had at least 10 Obama signs in their yard, and a HUGE one proclaiming "This is a GUN FREE ZONE! We have no GUNS in our HOUSE!" And I though to myself, they should have written at the bottom, so come and rob us!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #15206
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
It would be traveling slower than the speed of sound, so you could probably hear it approaching and step out of the way in time.
I wish I was that fast.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #15207
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Me either, and if its a TX boy I always aim away from the hubcap belt buckle too
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #15208
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Me either, and if its a TX boy I always aim away from the hubcap belt buckle too
That is easy to miss.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:59 PM   #15209
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
I wish I was that fast.
I am.

Personally I would simply catch it in my teeth.

Ninja skills abound.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #15210
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
With a good holster, you can conceal a full-sized 1911 and it'll actually be useful. My firearm instructors don't consider a .380 a "personal defense caliber".

The full sized 1911 CCW argument is valid for those who prioritize their CCW above all else. For many, carry is not their number 1 priority and a small gun is the alternative to no gun, not the alternative to a full sized gun. The real world for many isn't such that a 4.5" barreled side arm is always practical.

I assume that even those who 'hate' on the 380 and even the 9mm will agree that one so armed is better off that those packing nothing but a tactical pen or a 'combat folder'?

Call me delusional, but I feel better with a 380 pocket gun on board, or a 2" 5 shot snub, than I do unarmed.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: