Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 850 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #15751
frewhl
daily rider

Oddometer: 8,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I just like the "guns as knick-knacks" concept.....
OK, once and for all, where is the "like" button?
Then I headed over to where my girlfriend works. Greg, the boss, followed us outside and kept trying to tell me about how he went to Las Vegas one time on a motocycle. I was like, "oh-kay, that's great Greg."

Just back from Prudhoe Bay, IMO it was really worth the trip, AK is a beautiful place & you need lots of time to take it all in. I'm looking forward to returning & exploring some places i didn't have time to ride.RIP Ron Melton
frewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #15752
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,308
Posted by Haerd Case: But I can't quite bring myself to go the Sniper-suggested route and get a bunch of HiPoints.

That wasn't me, I just said I MIGHT buy one and just leave it in my camp trailer. I don't know who said they would buy one for every nook and cranny but someone else did.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #15753
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
If my tax return where a little bigger I'd snatch one just to dick around with.

Why the he'll not?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM   #15754
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
When you say you only cleaned them once a year are you meaning a complete strip of the firing pin etc? You would think that them being a rental gun you would do a quick clean and lube more frequently. As a customer if I rented a gun and it was nasty I would think poorly of the shop. Kind of like getting a Hertz car that is covered in tar and has the last customers Mcdonalds bags still inside it.
Not trying to be a dick,just trying to get a better picture.
A. Don't shoot dirty ammo and your gun won't get all grimy.

B. Glocks dont' have 'firing pins'.

C. All rental guns get wiped down and inspected after each use. Also, they get an ultra-sonic bath about every month or as time allows (we have the large Crest, the guns are done in batches). They're also inspected for abnormalities and wear about once per week. Detail stripping and cleaning is done about once a year on most of the guns, or as needed, the .22 cal guns get detail stripped and cleaned about every two weeks, same with the Desert Eagles and sub-guns. You place a gun into the rental fleet and then monitor it. You get a feel for what it need and doesn't need very fast and go from there. We have roughly 100 guns in the rental case at any time. Some manufacturers have "rental programs" and will sell/lend you guns for your customers to T&E, their guidelines specify to what they want to see out of them and replace them about 1x a year. We just recently finished a six-month T&E on a pistol where the maker didn't want us to even clean it. Just wanted to know how many rounds it would go until it failed. It was returned to them after 45,000 rds. without a failure (American maker with Italian roots). On "non-rental program" guns, ie new shit we want to let the customers demo we rotate them out about every six months or when a new "gun of the moment" comes on the scene. Other guns stay in the rental case (which was the case with the aforementioned Glocks) until we decide to retire them because they've served their purpose, and a better replacement model has come along.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 AM   #15755
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post

C. All rental guns get wiped down and inspected after each use. Also, they get an ultra-sonic bath about every month or as time allows (we have the large Crest, the guns are done in batches). They're also inspected for abnormalities and wear about once per week. Detail stripping and cleaning is done about once a year on most of the guns, or as needed, the .22 cal guns get detail stripped and cleaned about every two weeks, same with the Desert Eagles and sub-guns. You place a gun into the rental fleet and then monitor it. You get a feel for what it need and doesn't need very fast and go from there. We have roughly 100 guns in the rental case at any time. Some manufacturers have "rental programs" and will sell/lend you guns for your customers to T&E, their guidelines specify to what they want to see out of them and replace them about 1x a year. We just recently finished a six-month T&E on a pistol where the maker didn't want us to even clean it. Just wanted to know how many rounds it would go until it failed. It was returned to them after 45,000 rds. without a failure (American maker with Italian roots). On "non-rental program" guns, ie new shit we want to let the customers demo we rotate them out about every six months or when a new "gun of the moment" comes on the scene. Other guns stay in the rental case (which was the case with the aforementioned Glocks) until we decide to retire them because they've served their purpose, and a better replacement model has come along.
Of all the semi-auto pistols you've tested, is there one that stands out above the rest for requiring the least maintenance?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #15756
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achtung View Post
Have you considered a CZ? It would make a much better paperweight.
Shoot, if I didn't have kids, I would do that for sure. But I guess since I carry even at home, I don't really need to do that since I always have a gun on my hip even in the house or yard all the time.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #15757
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Shoot, if I didn't have kids, I would do that for sure. But I guess since I carry even at home, I don't really need to do that since I always have a gun on my hip even in the house or yard all the time.
First of all, sorry to slander you by thinking you were the one to suggest multiple Hi-Points. I looked back and it must have been my interpretation of a pair of posts by El Guero and Pollo Asado. But in any case, when I'm kicking back at home I don't find having a gun on my hip or in a pocket particularly comfortable, so tend to prefer to have one close at hand. But when I wander about, as I do, that isn't always the case. Thus the knick-knack idea! Definitely wouldn't work if there were kids about, however!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:09 AM   #15758
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Of all the semi-auto pistols you've tested, is there one that stands out above the rest for requiring the least maintenance?

CZ, Glock, Sig, H&K, Springfield XD.

Or a well made, non-production 1911.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #15759
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
CZ makes an excellent gun.

We just rotated out five Glocks from our rental case, finally, a G17, G21, G19, G22 and G30.

The G17 was an early, early Gen 1 gun. Still had the proof marks on the frame and slide. Had well over a million rounds and only got cleaned about once a year, if that. All original parts. Barrel's rifling was just about gone though.

The G21 was a 3 digit s/n gun. All original. No maint except for new oil when it wouldn't run.

G19 was a Gen 2 gun, replaced the barrel about a year ago since it had no grooves left at all. Other than that it ran flawlessly with only a cleaning about once per year.

The G22 and G23 were Gen 3 guns, nothing out of the ordinary with them either.

Other than the usual problems (guns not running from lack of lube) the only problems the Glocks have given us is that the slides crack from heavy, heavy use on the higher caliber, small frame guns. That seemed to be a theme which they've addressed with later production guns.
Glocks may be the holy grail of pistols but I still HATE them!

And it is not an aversion to poly guns (Have a Wilson Spec Ops 9 on order). It is most likely the whole striker firing system I cannot abide.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:45 AM   #15760
Whitey1
"Whitebread"

Oddometer: 10,109
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed response. That sounds better then the mental image of them being used and never checked, cleaned, etc.
Whitey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:52 AM   #15761
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
Glocks may be the holy grail of pistols but I still HATE them!

And it is not an aversion to poly guns (Have a Wilson Spec Ops 9 on order). It is most likely the whole striker firing system I cannot abide.
Not a fan of Glock myself. I have found that you can spend 10min and clean the thing "good enough" that it will run. Does not matter what the gun is.

If you want a gun that you never have to worry about get a revolver. My father in law has one that I don't think has ever been cleaned and it still will go bang 6 times just as fast as you can pull the trigger and hit a man sized target center mass.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:55 AM   #15762
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
If my tax return where a little bigger I'd snatch one just to dick around with.

Why the he'll not?

Because buying a Hi-Point puts you $200 away from buying a cool gun?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #15763
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Because buying a Hi-Point puts you $200 away from buying a cool gun?
Nah I'm looking at some other things.

If I had a bigger return, I'd get one of those too for shits & giggles.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM   #15764
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

I have all quality guns. I still want a HiPoint, but for these reasons. I want a cheap gun I won't cry over if it gets stolen. I want a gun to leave in a go bag that I can swap between trucks or cars. I want one I can loan out if needed. I also want something I can give away if needed.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #15765
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I have all quality guns. I still want a HiPoint, but for these reasons. I want a cheap gun I won't cry over if it gets stolen. I want a gun to leave in a go bag that I can swap between trucks or cars. I want one I can loan out if needed. I also want something I can give away if needed.
Sounds like a deal to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: