Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 660 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #15766
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,496
pick me..... pick me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I also want something I can give away if needed.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #15767
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,436
Yo X, I need to borrow a gun, I'll be through town on the 13th.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #15768
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Yo X, I need to borrow a gun, I'll be through town on the 13th.
Me too! I want to borrow that 338 Lapua!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #15769
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Because buying a Hi-Point puts you $200 away from buying a cool gun?
It puts you $200 away from buying a GUN!
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #15770
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Question for anybody who plays gun games -

I just found out there is a range about an hour and a half from here that is doing IDPA once a month. I've never done it before and have wondered about giving it a try. I have been thinking for a while about getting a GP100, if I did that would this still be a fun gun to bring to a match? I don't really give a shit about beating anybody, I just want to go do some shooting that isn't at a cardboard box.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #15771
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:

I just found out there is a range about an hour and a half from here that is doing IDPA once a month. I've never done it before and have wondered about giving it a try. I have been thinking for a while about getting a GP100, if I did that would this still be a fun gun to bring to a match? I don't really give a shit about beating anybody, I just want to go do some shooting that isn't at a cardboard box.
It's all fun, gun competitions that is. But don't think no matter what your mindset you'll go out and not get competitive. First time I did three gun I was so not thinking I was going to get competitive, I didn't even TAKE a shotgun. I borrowed one off a girl there and WON the shotgun stage. After that I was hooked. At least on our little for fun three gun comp. I found out later a couple of the guys I beat, one at pistol and all at shotgun were high end competitors just using our little fun shoot for practice.

Not only did that make me feel good that I had done so well, but even got me more into the competition mindset. I quit after the season because it was getting expensive going every weekend and practicing regular shooting every other weekend. Plus I just got tired of the attitudes after a while. There were two richie rich guys there who, no matter how bad I beat them would act like I didn't know what I was doing and were total assholes and pompous. Oh well, it was fun for a entire season other than a couple bad apples.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #15772
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
snip...I also want something I can give away if needed.

Ooh, if you are giving away guns, sign me up!

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #15773
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:

I think a GP100 (assuming it is a 4") would work fine. You'll need an IDPA-legal holster for it (some clubs are more inclined to be stickler about this than others) and some speed-loaders and speed-loader holders, and you'll be ready to go.

As Sniper indicates, you'll probably find that some competitive juices start flowing once you've tried it. You'll be competing in SSR division and, again, depending on the club there might not be too many shooters using revolvers (mine, when we did IDPA, would typically have 20 or so people competing in a match, and maybe two of us would be shooting revolvers), so you're basically shooting with people who are using various semi-autos. You'll likely start thinking of ways to get better, both via practice and equipment upgrades, once you get started. It's a lot of fun and a great way to improve your skills, meet some nice people, and spend some $.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #15774
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I think a GP100 (assuming it is a 4") would work fine. You'll need an IDPA-legal holster for it (some clubs are more inclined to be stickler about this than others) and some speed-loaders and speed-loader holders, and you'll be ready to go.

As Sniper indicates, you'll probably find that some competitive juices start flowing once you've tried it. You'll be competing in SSR division and, again, depending on the club there might not be too many shooters using revolvers (mine, when we did IDPA, would typically have 20 or so people competing in a match, and maybe two of us would be shooting revolvers), so you're basically shooting with people who are using various semi-autos. You'll likely start thinking of ways to get better, both via practice and equipment upgrades, once you get started. It's a lot of fun and a great way to improve your skills, meet some nice people, and spend some $.
That's kinda what I thought... I figure my head would get in to it if I ended up enjoying it. I figure if I want to try it this year, I should get the gun I want in general and try it out. If I end up liking it then I can get a Glock or sumthin.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #15775
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,472
I think if you're going to do it with a GP100, then really practice the hell out of your reloading. I think that is a lot trickier than dropping and slapping in another mag.

I know my GP had a rubber protrusion at the top of the grip that interfered with a speed loader. I could get it in there, but not quickly. The GP100 won't take moon clips without some machining. Obviously, if you have that type of grip, and I have no clue if they still come this way, you could change that out. Maybe it was the speed loaders I had as well. No idea. I don't own that one anymore. Just never enjoyed shooting it.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #15776
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I think if you're going to do it with a GP100, then really practice the hell out of your reloading. I think that is a lot trickier than dropping and slapping in another mag.

I know my GP had a rubber protrusion at the top of the grip that interfered with a speed loader. I could get it in there, but not quickly. The GP100 won't take moon clips without some machining. Obviously, if you have that type of grip, and I have no clue if they still come this way, you could change that out. Maybe it was the speed loaders I had as well. No idea. I don't own that one anymore. Just never enjoyed shooting it.
Only problem with moon clips in IDPA is that it puts you in a different competitive category, ESR rather than SSR, meaning that a guy would have to compete with some real hot-shots all of whom are likely to be shooting moon-clipped 610s or 625s which are pretty customized and fast/accurate. SSR which is more of the everyman category for revolvers, requires speed-loaders, moon-clips are verbotten. But yes, a guy should definitely make sure his grips are compatible with speed loaders and it definitely pays to practice rapid reloads some rather than do it for the first time on the firing-line at a match and watching your boolits bounce all over the ground during the course of an attempted reload.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #15777
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

it definitely pays to practice rapid reloads some rather than do it for the first time on the firing-line at a match and watching your boolits bounce all over the ground during the course of an attempted reload.[/QUOTE]Good one
Old 03-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #15778
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

BTW I would not try to compete with a GP100, not enough trick stuff available and anyway, if you want to use a revolver, buy a used clean Model 27, or 19.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #15779
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
BTW I would not try to compete with a GP100, not enough trick stuff available and anyway, if you want to use a revolver, buy a used clean Model 27, or 19.
I'd be inclined to agree, or a 66 or 686 (not a 7 shot version of the latter, however, as that is also against the rules) but if a GP 100 is what a guy has it should work reasonably well.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:33 PM   #15780
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I'd be inclined to agree, or a 66 or 686 (not a 7 shot version of the latter, however, as that is also against the rules) but if a GP 100 is what a guy has it should work reasonably well.
True, but he would have to get other than stock grips, like Pacy combat grips to use the speed loaders. If he wanted to stick with the GP, I think the 66 or 686 or 586 would be great too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: