ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 866 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 PM   #1576
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder
 
Motoplaner's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Oddometer: 20,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
My point is this, a low mass, low power round against a thick leather jacket mushrooms prematurely when penetrating the jacket, then won't penetrate the soft tissue as well after that.
I understand and feel your queefings but as you can see from the data, a single layer turns an hp into a high penetrating solid so it would follow that any greater number would do the same. Perhaps.
__________________
Letís not reinvent the wheel, letís wear it out.
Motoplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #1577
Komet
The Voice of Reason
 
Komet's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2002
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
My point is this, a low mass, low power round against a thick leather jacket mushrooms prematurely when penetrating the jacket, then won't penetrate the soft tissue as well after that.
I remember many years ago, we got this shooting call, and this guy had been shot in the forehead right above the middle of the eyes...point blank range with a .32. The bullet did not penetrate the skull, but "crawled" around the cranium between the skull and the skin lodging at the back of the head. Some of the guys thought the bullet had went straight through his skull and the guy was walking and talking. A .32 can be lacking no doubt.
__________________
Always mindful of obstruction, do your duty, never fail;
Keep your hand upon the throttle, and your eye upon the rail.
Komet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #1578
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder
 
Motoplaner's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Oddometer: 20,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komet
I remember many years ago, we got this shooting call, and this guy had been shot in the forehead right above the middle of the eyes...point blank range with a .32. The bullet did not penetrate the skull, but "crawled" around the cranium between the skull and the skin lodging at the back of the head. Some of the guys thought the bullet had went straight through his skull and the guy was walking and talking. A .32 can be lacking no doubt.
As can many.
__________________
Letís not reinvent the wheel, letís wear it out.
Motoplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #1579
KingRat
Stroppy.
 
KingRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: a citizen of the world
Oddometer: 25,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
queefings.
KingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:46 AM   #1580
stunt clown
Spaztic
 
stunt clown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Peoria, IL
Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie
I know that guns are just tools, but by Heaven that is an ugly gun tool.
No argument. I might have to opt for a slide mount for the red dot just to not have such an ugly setup. ( and take the chance on durability for the scope)

Heres a look without the scope bracket.

__________________
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.

A pessimist is never disappointed.
stunt clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #1581
Ge-Mini-gun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ge-Mini-gun's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Winchester, VA
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt clown
...I might have to opt for a slide mount for the red dot just to not have such an ugly setup. ( and take the chance on durability for the scope)...
You canít mount the scope to the slide, as this will cause a lot of problems. For one it slows down the slide, which will affect the reliability of the gun, and it will beat the living hell out of the scope. Only a couple ways to mount a scope, one you already posted and the other is with a mount that goes between the grip panel and frame.


Still looks like poop but these are the only options that I know of.
__________________
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Switching to DirectTV - use this 52824519
Ge-Mini-gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #1582
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes
 
Bald Kirk's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Aloha
Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick
Nice gun! Which grips? How much is the Ultra Dot?

Oh yeah, how many rounds per mag? That or the Walther P22 is my next handgun.
Here are the grips that I fitted.



http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merc...tid=155&step=4

Here is the Ultradot Pan AV I use.



http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_008.htm

The Ruger came with the mounting rail shipped loose in the box.



http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...10101&return=Y

I grew up shooting a boat load of different types of guns but my Dad's old High Standard was always one of my favorites. I spent alot of time looking for a High Standard and the Rugers kept catching my eye. After I rented one I decided it was a nice little gun for the money.

Maybe some day I will buy a High Standard but for the time being this one will do.

The Ruger holds 10 rounds in the magazine.
__________________
Kawasaki Lover
Bald Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #1583
DakarNick
Swabee
 
DakarNick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Parker, Colorado
Oddometer: 6,698
Thanks Kirk!
__________________
'06 KTM 950 Adventure S
'12 Ram 2500, Cummins, 6-speed auto, Laramie Longhorn, RamBox
"The bouncer is a bulldog who looks like Wilfred Brimley and the password is 'diabetus'"-Stefon, SNL character
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #1584
stunt clown
Spaztic
 
stunt clown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Peoria, IL
Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ge-Mini-gun
You canít mount the scope to the slide, as this will cause a lot of problems. For one it slows down the slide, which will affect the reliability of the gun, and it will beat the living hell out of the scope. Only a couple ways to mount a scope, one you already posted and the other is with a mount that goes between the grip panel and frame.


Still looks like poop but these are the only options that I know of.

While I am still researching my options, I believe some of the top bullseye shooters now mount an Ultradot to a rail on their .45.

Like this one ( Brian Zins signature series from Mountain Competition Pistols)

__________________
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Of course, so does falling down a flight of stairs.

A pessimist is never disappointed.
stunt clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #1585
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motor31's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wherever we park - full time RV'ers
Oddometer: 1,947
CB350F,

I have a question for you about the grenade launcher. I understand it is an airsoft replica but I'm curious. Does it function like a shotgun shooting a bunch of pellets or some larger plastic projectile?
__________________
Wherever we go, there we are.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #1586
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.
 
Dagofast's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Arizona
Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunt clown
My next purchase.

Les Baer 1911 Wadcutter Bullseye Pistol .45 ACP .... with frame mounted optical scope


Jeebus! 10 bolts to hold a scope mount on? Who over designed that monstrosity?
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #1587
Patriot4570
Trail Blaster
 
Patriot4570's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: First Coast
Oddometer: 2,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast
Jeebus! 10 bolts to hold a scope mount on? Who over designed that monstrosity?
How much more does the pistol weigh with mount and scope?
__________________
Years wrinkle the skin,but to give up enthusiam wrinkles the soul.

Douglas Mac Arthur
Patriot4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #1588
cb-350F
Adventurer
 
cb-350F's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Odessa 'pool road" Texas
Oddometer: 18
Wicked yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31
CB350F,

I have a question for you about the grenade launcher. I understand it is an airsoft replica but I'm curious. Does it function like a shotgun shooting a bunch of pellets or some larger plastic projectile?
thay use a shell that looks just like a real m-79, charged with propane or green gas and has holes in what would be the bullet...well in the shells i use some have a rubber bullet.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/133714...nade_launcher/

from 30 bb's to 400
__________________
Looking for a girlfriend that doesnt end in .JPG, thnking about upgradeing to .MPG

spelling will not be checked, and i dont care!
cb-350F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #1589
BoxerTwinF6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BoxerTwinF6's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Appleton-Green Bay WI
Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk
Kirk -

Do these need to be modified to fit your MkIII?

I'm debating between a Browning URX and a Ruger MkIII target like yours, and I think these grips will lean me toward the Ruger.
BoxerTwinF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 AM   #1590
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds
 
ZzyzyxRd's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: So Nev
Oddometer: 11,334










ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014