Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 792 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 07:15 PM   #16501
AerialCameras
Gyrating Peacefully

Oddometer: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsado View Post
Tell me all about why ... since I keep passing on hi power deals in lieu of a 1911 in 9mm.
I remember back when I worked the shows in FLA, the boys from Mexico would snatch up 1911s in 9 and even more so if in 38 super. Back then we couldn't give them away in the shop, so we'd keep them for the legal residents from Mexico that we'd see at the shows. I wish I didn't have my head as far up my ass as I did back then. I'd love a 1911-9 now.

I ain't had no fun in London since the Hammersmith Palais
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #16502
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post

This is fun. Let me finish my coffee, get my wits about me and I'll start a post about the High Power and its horrid trigger system and why it will never be as good as that of the 1911.
I agree that the High Power is a nightmare, but it can be made quite good with a bit of tuning. A friend has one of the factory competition pistols that has a really outstanding trigger for ANY auto pistol, and still retains the magazine safety. I did one that was almost as good, but it took about three times as long to get right as any 1911 I ever worked on.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #16503
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightfighter View Post
did the 9mm vs 45 debate already occur in this thread?
Oh ya it comes down to the more rounds or more stopping power debate. Personally I think if TSHTF I would prefer the more rounds (options) than the stopping power. But I would also be aiming for the head where even a .22 would do the job. But I am biased as I can't afford to shoot the 45 yet so I have the 9.

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:38 PM   #16504
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,602
Hi all. My parents are planning to move to France. If that goes through then my brother and I are splitting his guns. Bro wants the S&W. 357 and Taurus 9mm. I get the Browning .22 pistol, Remington. 22 rifle, another .22 rifle, a 20ga single shot, a Sears & Roebuck side by side 12ga, and a Marlin .44 lever action, and assorted ammo.

All my dad wants is visiting rights when he comes back to visit. I will check what models they are next time I visit.
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #16505
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,170
What's the consensus on the Plum Crazy composite lowers?
Old 04-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #16506
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:

I get warm n fuzzy from handling any good 1911. "off switches" just aint my bag tho.
By off switch do you mean the safety? If so I was like that until I had a broken Sig P226 (wouldn't fire double action) and the continued troubleshooting had me working the de-cocking lever for about 50 rounds. Ended up with a blister and a still broken pistol.

I now have two 1911s in my safe, and two more on order (one 9mm and one .45-- the best of both worlds). I am spending lots of time re-training muscle memory to "turn on" the pistol every time I pick it up.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #16507
ADVMindset
Americana Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I asked the same thing months ago.... didn't get any response !
I have heard positive from owners & negative from others that have NO experience with them ! So with that I'm still gonna build one, as soon as I can get my hands on one, not sure what other components i'll use but it's like a bike there is a lot to choose from !!! Keep me posted if you build one.
ADVMindset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #16508
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,222
ya... thats exactly what i mean. all of it. I like Kahr best for now... I even like (blech)... the glock my employer makes us carry... especially since me and a couple other guys have to keep the whole pile of them maintained, and do remedial training for those that... well... need remedial training.

and i was being facisious on the 9/45 comment, which in retrospect wasnt very cool of me... the caliber debate is stupid, for the most part. its like asking what size motorcycle is the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
By off switch do you mean the safety? If so I was like that until I had a broken Sig P226 (wouldn't fire double action) and the continued troubleshooting had me working the de-cocking lever for about 50 rounds. Ended up with a blister and a still broken pistol.

I now have two 1911s in my safe, and two more on order (one 9mm and one .45-- the best of both worlds). I am spending lots of time re-training muscle memory to "turn on" the pistol every time I pick it up.
lightfighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #16509
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Quote:

and i was being facisious on the 9/45 comment, which in retrospect wasnt very cool of me... the caliber debate is stupid, for the most part. its like asking what size motorcycle is the best.
I was just being curious on your off switch comment. I used to feel that all you should have to do is draw your weapon and fire. On duty, my S&W had a safety but we trained to use them only as a de-cocker. My BUG was a Sig so only a de-cocker.

Now I am learning the draw and push off the safety trick... Hence the reason I am changing 100% to a 1911 style pistol.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #16510
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,812
Been shooting 1911s since I was maybe five? Maybe younger. One of my first memories is watching my dad shoot, and then him holding the pistol so I could pull the trigger.
I take the safety off on everything, Glocks, revolvers, any pistol I pick up. My thumb automatically just does it. I've done it maybe eight million times, and it's way past reflex it's so unconscious. Doesn't matter if it's got a safety there or not, my thumb goes there.
But I look stupid when somebody hands me anything besides a 1911.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:39 AM   #16511
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I agree that the High Power is a nightmare, but it can be made quite good with a bit of tuning. A friend has one of the factory competition pistols that has a really outstanding trigger for ANY auto pistol, and still retains the magazine safety. I did one that was almost as good, but it took about three times as long to get right as any 1911 I ever worked on.
The integration of the magazine safety into the trigger, along with the draw bar nightmare make it near impossible to get a "1911" type trigger pull out of the High Power without tearing them down, tossing about $200 in parts and another few hundred in labor into it. I love the High Power though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
They're crap. But for a cheap lower they can't be beat. Just don't abuse it like it's an aluminum lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I love mine, it's my primary carry gun, the only 1911 I've ever owned that has NEVER malfunctioned, and is fairly light-weight and comfortable to carry in an IWB holster under a suit or sport-jacket.

60% of the EMPs we have sold have had failure to feed and failure to fire issues. 40%, however, have been 100% out of the box. This isn't that unusual for a "hybrid" firearm.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #16512
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
60% of the EMPs we have sold have had failure to feed and failure to fire issues. 40%, however, have been 100% out of the box. This isn't that unusual for a "hybrid" firearm.
I guess I am fortunate and seem to have gotten a "good" one. I've long maintained that if you have a 1911 that hasn't had some sort of malfunction, you just haven't shot it enough. I can't claim that the EMP has thousands of rounds through it, probably more in the neighborhood of 600 at this point, but so far so good.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #16513
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Been shooting 1911s since I was maybe five? Maybe younger. One of my first memories is watching my dad shoot, and then him holding the pistol so I could pull the trigger.
I take the safety off on everything, Glocks, revolvers, any pistol I pick up. My thumb automatically just does it. I've done it maybe eight million times, and it's way past reflex it's so unconscious. Doesn't matter if it's got a safety there or not, my thumb goes there.

1911fan
I'm working on my first million!

But that is one reason I got rid of the Sig. I don't want to de-cock when I think I am taking the safety off.

RogueClimber screwed with this post 04-02-2011 at 08:51 PM Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #16514
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post

That scope base y'all can see in the pic: Assuming that the RedDot fits on the part that is NOT overhanging the barrel, is it legit to cut off the overhang? It REALLY detracts from the looks of this work of art.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #16515
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
My thumb automatically just does it....and it's way past reflex it's so unconscious. Doesn't matter if it's got a safety there or not, my thumb goes there.

1911fan

I do that with my XD all the time I'm on my 3rd Browning HP, so it is a natural thing. I'll second the no decocker requirement...
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: