Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 712 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 05:52 PM   #16516
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,830
Savage Choke ID

So guys, I was given a Savage 20ga Model 220D, for my son to turkey hunt with. It has a 28 inch barrel with no markings other than 3 Inch Shells.

Is there any way to determine the choke or, more to the point, is there any reason to assume it is not a full choke?

Fe Man screwed with this post 04-02-2011 at 06:05 PM
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:25 PM   #16517
richard cabesa
The Mayor

Oddometer: 9,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
That scope base y'all can see in the pic: Assuming that the RedDot fits on the part that is NOT overhanging the barrel, is it legit to cut off the overhang? It REALLY detracts from the looks of this work of art.
The BSA RD-30 on mine hangs over about half way. I guess once you put the red dot on it you could mark and cut off any extra

Old 04-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #16518
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,540
I found out what make and model the guns are that my dad is handing down to me. These are the ones I was unsure about.

20ga single shot- JC Higgins Model 101.40 Sears Roebuck and Co

12ga side by side- Lefever Nitro Special by Lefever Arms Co, Ithaca, NY.

.22 rifle- CF Mossberg and Sons Co, North Haven, Connecticut. AC-KRO-GRUV Model 342KC 22 S-L-LR
Barrel is stamped with 26512B on opposite side of the breech

.22 revolver- Young America Double Action H&R Arms Co, Worchester, Massachusettes
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:35 AM   #16519
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
So guys, I was given a Savage 20ga Model 220D, for my son to turkey hunt with. It has a 28 inch barrel with no markings other than 3 Inch Shells.
Quote:
Is there any way to determine the choke or, more to the point, is there any reason to assume it is not a full choke?
here is a handy choke chart, measure the diameter of the muzzle with a vernier/internal micrometer;
http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

if the gun isnt marked dont assume anything, it could have a cut down barrel in which case the choke would be wide open, (cylinder), for slugs perhaps. and dont assume just because the chamber is 3" it is proofed for magnum shells, dont know what proof laws are in the US but here it would be stamped '3"magnum'.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #16520
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I guess I am fortunate and seem to have gotten a "good" one. I've long maintained that if you have a 1911 that hasn't had some sort of malfunction, you just haven't shot it enough. I can't claim that the EMP has thousands of rounds through it, probably more in the neighborhood of 600 at this point, but so far so good.

I don't know. I think that some makes and sizes (the EMP 9mm is one) actually start to become tremendously reliable the MORE they're shot.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:54 AM   #16521
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:

it is either modified or full, but might say on the side of the barrel.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #16522
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,074
CMMG's 22 adapter rocks. That is all.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #16523
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
CMMG's 22 adapter rocks. That is all.
Yes it does. Cheap too.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #16524
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,540
Here are mine that I have now, a subcompact XD40 and Mossberg 500 12ga

Here are some of the ones I will be aquiring from my father, a Mossberg .22 bolt action, a Marlin .44 lever action, a Sears Roebuck 20ga single shot, a Lefever/Ithaca 12ga side by side, and an unshootable H&R Arms .22 Young America Double Action

DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #16525
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,220
I got this gun on a trade and I am trying to figure out what it is worth it is a Weatherby rifle. It is a MarkV fibermark all weather in .340 Weatherby mag. 3-9 Weatherby optics.
It has a small blemish in the bluing near the muzzle but aside from that it is in excellent shape. The guy I got it from told me that he bought it new in 93 or 95 and only fired about 40 rounds through it.
I looked around and I cant find any info on Weatherby optics, or how much the rifle is worth with the scope.

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #16526
SuperSlug
The Space Worm ®

Oddometer: 2,706
Speaking of Weatherby rifles, what's the consensus on the 30.06 Vanguard? Anything to watch out for? I have my eye on the blued model w/syn stock...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #16527
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlug View Post
Speaking of Weatherby rifles, what's the consensus on the 30.06 Vanguard? Anything to watch out for? I have my eye on the blued model w/syn stock...
I had one many years ago, but with a wood stock. It was the most beautiful rifle I've ever owned, but functionally there wasn't much to brag about. My Remington 700 was more accurate, and the Vanguard's trigger could have used some work.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.

Aurelius screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 08:42 AM
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #16528
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlug View Post
I still think Weatherby is the Sony of rifles. Over priced and you don't get what you pay for (you pay for the name) except in the pretty models. They use to be an exclusive rifle, the top of the line rifles back when I was young. They were bought by shooters who also wore a Rolex, and drove a Jaguar or Cadillac. Other than the bling, theyr were never anything special accuracy wise. They did however offer cartridges that no one else had, and powerful was the word. In my opinion, they were the American alternative to a super power double french or english tropical rifle.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #16529
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I still think Weatherby is the Sony of rifles. Over priced and you don't get what you pay for (you pay for the name) except in the pretty models. They use to be an exclusive rifle, the top of the line rifles back when I was young. They were bought by shooters who also wore a Rolex, and drove a Jaguar or Cadillac. Other than the bling, theyr were never anything special accuracy wise. .

I agree. I had one a few years ago I got in a trade. My 50+ year old pre-64 model 70 super grade is more accurate,feels better(although a little heavier) and the fit and finish is better IMO. It is one of the few guns I have I will never trade. It has put a lot of meat in the freezer.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

NDEBT screwed with this post 04-05-2011 at 08:49 AM
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 AM   #16530
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
I'm working on my first million!

But that is one reason I got rid of the Sig. I don't want to de-cock when I think I am taking the safety off.
I do that on the sp101
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: