User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 619 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #17701
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Why is it that the front sights on revolvers are always so high?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #17702
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
If you mean SA revolvers with a simple hog-wallow rear "sight", it's so you can file it down to suit your chosen ammo. If you find them too high for adjustable-sight revolvers, shoot heavier bullets. If you mean generally, aesthetically, I don't know what to tell you.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #17703
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
If you mean SA revolvers with a simple hog-wallow rear "sight", it's so you can file it down to suit your chosen ammo. If you find them too high for adjustable-sight revolvers, shoot heavier bullets. If you mean generally, aesthetically, I don't know what to tell you.
Generally, I think...

I've just noticed of the revolvers I've shot (non adjustable) that the front sights were really high.

Didn't know if I was supposed to keep the top of the revolver level to my eye and put the front sight on the target or if I was supposed to angle the barrel down so that the top of the front sight peeked up in the middle of the "groove" on the top to make what looks like a normal sight profile.

Old 05-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #17704
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,927
Hogue
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM   #17705
04xrider
1st Hondian

Oddometer: 12
Springfield XD9 SC

Hello all, new kid here saying hi and thought I would share my CCW. I was debating a lot of different semi auto's, but the springfield XD9 SC won me over in the end for a couple good reasons.
1. I have heard nothing but good from the owners that had them.
2. They are small enough to conceal and carry, but have enough weight to them as to not kick like a mule when you fire it.
3. This was one of the biggies for me, there is not a saftey lever that you have to worry about in a dark situation, there is a safety built into the back of the grip and a saftey on the trigger, so you have to be trying to shot it, it will not fire unless both saftey devices are being pressed at the same time.
4. There is a little nub that sticks out of the back of the slide that when it is protruding tells you your weapon is cocked and then another ramp on top of the slide that will be in a raised position to let you know it is loaded.
All in all, it is a great CCW. I have added a crimson trace laser and XS big dot night sights to mine, and really like this setup. The 16 round clip is nice also!

[IMG]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn160/04xrider
/springfieldXD9-1002.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-30-2011, 06:54 PM   #17706
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Hogue
Yeah, that one.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #17707
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,927
Quote:
Yeah, that one.

I have a couple of them.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #17708
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcs06 View Post
I have one of these in 45 Colt. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot.

- That is just purdy..

live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #17709
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Generally, I think...

I've just noticed of the revolvers I've shot (non adjustable) that the front sights were really high.

Didn't know if I was supposed to keep the top of the revolver level to my eye and put the front sight on the target or if I was supposed to angle the barrel down so that the top of the front sight peeked up in the middle of the "groove" on the top to make what looks like a normal sight profile.
The top of the front sight is aligned with the top ears of the rear sight.

Revolver front sights need to be higher than auto's because the revolvers tend to have more muzzle flip. They have a higher (in relation to the hand holding it) bore center and they shoot (generally, there are exceptions) heavier bullets. The action of an auto attenuates muzzle flip a bit as well.

Hope that helps.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #17710
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
The top of the front sight is aligned with the top ears of the rear sight.

Revolver front sights need to be higher than auto's because the revolvers tend to have more muzzle flip. They have a higher (in relation to the hand holding it) bore center and they shoot (generally, there are exceptions) heavier bullets. The action of an auto attenuates muzzle flip a bit as well.

Hope that helps.
Makes perfect sense!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #17711
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post

I have a couple of them.
I like it.

I thought the stock grips were actually pretty good, but at the range saturday I helped my girlfriend put 150rds through her new P250 and going from the thicker grip to the slimmer one on my RIA I noticed that it was moving around in my hand a little too much and I liked the thicker grip on the Sig.

This "Hogue" feels just right. Was a bit of a PITA to get on though.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:55 AM   #17712
tcs06
The Clueless Wonder

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
- That is just purdy..

Thanks. I think so too. :-)

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise.
tcs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:55 AM   #17713
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Why are the front sights on automatics so low?

Ok, I'll quit being a smart ass and lend some light. Revolvers have less material around the barrel as opposed to automatics which have a slide surrounding the barrel. The sights are the same relative height, just on a wheel gun it looks like they're much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04xrider View Post
The 16 round clip is nice also!
Magazine. It's a French word.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #17714
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,035
Quote:
Generally, I think...

If I understand your question correctly, it just boils down to basic geometry. Compare a typical semi-auto with a typical revolver (both pictured here). Notice that the slide on the semi-auto is straight along the top, meaning that the front and rear sight need to be the same height to line up properly. In the case of a typical revolver, there's a drop from the top of the frame to the barrel, so to get the front and rear sight to line up properly, the front sight has to be taller than the rear sight.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:26 AM   #17715
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Oh how I want that Ruger .45 colt revolver.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: