Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 730 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 10:00 AM   #19126
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,747
1911 thumb safety

i know there are a ton of 1911 forums out there. but i trust the strangers on ADV more than i trust other internet strangers.

just got a new springfield 1911 mil spec. my first 1911. love it. stock wood grips are beautiful. trigger is crisp.

my only issue with it is the thumb safety. i don't mind the size/shape of it, but it takes a ton of effort to engage/disengage the safety. i see a lot of guys swapping stock safeties for "tactical" or ambidextrous ones. i don't really need that. i just want my stock safety to be a little easier. any ideas?

i've shot it a bunch, and it's well lubed (synthetic!!) but that hasn't made any difference.

thanks.

btw i'm becoming a fan of the 45acp round. would love to hear reviews of the springfield xd 45 in compact versus full size. i haven't shot either yet, but they seem like great carry guns.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #19127
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
i know there are a ton of 1911 forums out there. but i trust the strangers on ADV more than i trust other internet strangers.

just got a new springfield 1911 mil spec. my first 1911. love it. stock wood grips are beautiful. trigger is crisp.

my only issue with it is the thumb safety. i don't mind the size/shape of it, but it takes a ton of effort to engage/disengage the safety. i see a lot of guys swapping stock safeties for "tactical" or ambidextrous ones. i don't really need that. i just want my stock safety to be a little easier. any ideas?

i've shot it a bunch, and it's well lubed (synthetic!!) but that hasn't made any difference.
thanks.

btw i'm becoming a fan of the 45acp round. would love to hear reviews of the springfield xd 45 in compact versus full size. i haven't shot either yet, but they seem like great carry guns.
"Shooting" per se doesn't actuate the safety. Actuate the safety with perhaps some graphite or such. It'll wear in/polish itself.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #19128
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
I want the opposite. I like the ambidextrous safety and it's shape, but I feel like mine is a little too easy to disengage.

I'd prefer it be a little stiffer.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #19129
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I want the opposite. I like the ambidextrous safety and it's shape, but I feel like mine is a little too easy to disengage.

Pull the safety, then pull the plunger and spring and stretch the spring a tad, then reinstall. See if that works.

If you feel uneasy about doing this, watch this first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bh6K5rNenc
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM   #19130
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,488
Quote:

You're too young to have that problem.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #19131
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,347
Quote:

I think the princess and the pea waved some chicken bones just so to fix the terrible badness. No charge.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #19132
Kürbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
Just checking in to review (read: brag about) my Sig P250 9mm -- the only caliber of the P250 that isn't total crap, apparently.

The grip (medium) fits my tiny hand just fine, and I love that it's got that rough texture already worked into the surface (so I don't need to spend more money on a Hogue or anything). I have stubby thumbs, so when reloading, I've always just turned the whole shebang 90degrees while it's pointed up; I have no problem reaching the mag release button. And surprisingly, the slide release is just as easy to access.

I gotta say, for a compact, the thing fires beautifully. The trigger pull is heavy, but not as ugly as purported (this coming from my Sgt., who was convinced by everyone else that it was the crappiest gun on the planet -- until he shot mine). And, most importantly, the bullet goes exactly where I want it to (the 10 ring). I requalified with the Sig for the local Constable's office, and I made a 96 (deductions for one shot in the arm, one in the neck) -- not bad for a reserve deputy. My Sgt was impressed/surprised.

The pistol just FEELS good in my hand, like it was always made for me. My other Sig felt that way, too, and also fired as accurately. I think I'm becoming a fan.

My godfather, a Federal Air Marshal, mentioned that his agency said "fuck it" to the P250, but he also added that that doesn't make it a bad pistol for everyone else. My little Sig seems to be changing minds left and right -- so if you've heard bad things about this gun, give the 9mm version a try. It'll grow on ya.

Thanks again, EG!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #19133
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
For those in the market for a brass tumbler/cleaner: I just picked up a Lyman Ultrasonic today and I'm happy with it already. Cleaned my once fired brass very nicely in 3 minutes! I'm going to toss some stuff in it tomorrow that will really put it to the test, some brass from ammo that was reloaded nearly 40 years ago and looks it.

I will say that it doesn't polish at all, just cleans it and I have spotted a few fingerprints left on the cases. Luckily I don't care as long as its clean and functional.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #19134
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
I think the princess and the pea waved some chicken bones just so to fix the terrible badness. No charge.

Are you a lurking liberal?
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 AM   #19135
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
:rotfflofl

Okay - now that I won't be the first to "cross-post":

Goats for the gunz thread - tiggers elswaer!
Celebrator Double Bock!
You sir, have great taste!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 AM   #19136
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
Celebrator Double Bock!
You sir, have great taste!
it's my knew schtick...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #19137
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,307
Project MEUSOC ROCK

I have a goal to do up my GI RIA 1911 to make it a MEUSOC clone. It won't take a whole lot thankfully, here's what it'll look like when finished,

Here's what it looks like now. The gun on the bottom of the picture,

Old 08-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #19138
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner View Post
Like I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kürbczech View Post
Just checking in to review (read: brag about) my Sig P250 9mm -- the only caliber of the P250 that isn't total crap, apparently.

The grip (medium) fits my tiny hand just fine, and I love that it's got that rough texture already worked into the surface (so I don't need to spend more money on a Hogue or anything). I have stubby thumbs, so when reloading, I've always just turned the whole shebang 90degrees while it's pointed up; I have no problem reaching the mag release button. And surprisingly, the slide release is just as easy to access.

I gotta say, for a compact, the thing fires beautifully. The trigger pull is heavy, but not as ugly as purported (this coming from my Sgt., who was convinced by everyone else that it was the crappiest gun on the planet -- until he shot mine). And, most importantly, the bullet goes exactly where I want it to (the 10 ring). I requalified with the Sig for the local Constable's office, and I made a 96 (deductions for one shot in the arm, one in the neck) -- not bad for a reserve deputy. My Sgt was impressed/surprised.

The pistol just FEELS good in my hand, like it was always made for me. My other Sig felt that way, too, and also fired as accurately. I think I'm becoming a fan.

My godfather, a Federal Air Marshal, mentioned that his agency said "fuck it" to the P250, but he also added that that doesn't make it a bad pistol for everyone else. My little Sig seems to be changing minds left and right -- so if you've heard bad things about this gun, give the 9mm version a try. It'll grow on ya.

Thanks again, EG!
You're welcome!

I wonder if the crappy history of the P250 has to do with the first generation of it which was apparently a little different. At least as far as some changes to the grip frame. But I haven't done any research into it.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM   #19139
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I have a goal to do up my GI RIA 1911 to make it a MEUSOC clone. It won't take a whole lot thankfully, here's what it'll look like when finished,

Here's what it looks like now. The gun on the bottom of the picture,

Cool. Doesn't look like a whole lot of modification, adding a beavertail, different trigger and better sights. I'd personally pass on the Pachy grips, but to each his own. I don't like rubber grips, get rid of them on any/all of my handguns.....with the sole exception of the Goodyears on the 500 Mags because of the Sorbothane insert, but they sure are ugly.

I find that a 1911 without a beavertail chews up the web of my hand if I'm not damned careful, and I don't like to have to be when I'm drawing from a holster in a match or in a hurry. The beavertail is the one additional thing that John Browning should have put on his gun in the first place IMHO!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #19140
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post

thanks.

The Springfield Mil-Spec is is a great .45. Any decent gunsmith should be able to do a trigger job and re-fit your safety for about $50.

The 1911 platform is great but most sub $1000 guns can use a little fine tuning to be really smooth.
k12lts is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: