ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #20161
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
I have some skunks that I am up against, not looking for an ar15 style gun. Scope would be nice though.

I'm headed out today to see what is out there in the local shops. I needed a shove in some general direction. I'm a winchester man, but open to anything.
My experience is that skunks tend to be a short-range proposition......although you don't want it to be too close! Even a 22 would work for that, but something that makes 'em deader quicker is definitely better, and a 223 would do that.

What I've wanted for a while is a nice bolt-action 223 with standard factory iron sights, the buckhorn rear and post front. I was thinking Ruger made one, but it doesn't appear like they do anymore. If you spot one in your shopping, let me know what it is. I was thinking it'd make a good practice gun for firing big-bore rifles over iron.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #20162
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I saw Knapp Saturday. That bit you describe was one of the most impressive. Since it was overcast, it was hard for him hit the aspirins, though. The guy is amazing.
The thing that strikes me is that these guys are getting UP there in age, IIRC munden is knocking on the door at 80 and I am not sure how old Knapp is.

where are the new/younger guys?.....is this a thing that is going to die with this generation...I sure hope not.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #20163
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyfez View Post
can anyone tell me about arisaka actions? I found a really groovy little rifle over the weekend and it's got me thinking. It's a 300 savage.

First thing I would say is WHY?

Next I would say is they come in two flavors 6.5 and 7.7.

Next I would say is Don't cut one up, if it is nice it can be worth some money.

Next I would say just sell it and buy what you want.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #20164
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
MZcountryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Northeast Kingdom, Vermont USA (close to Canada!)
Oddometer: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
My experience is that skunks tend to be a short-range proposition......although you don't want it to be too close! Even a 22 would work for that, but something that makes 'em deader quicker is definitely better, and a 223 would do that.

What I've wanted for a while is a nice bolt-action 223 with standard factory iron sights, the buckhorn rear and post front. I was thinking Ruger made one, but it doesn't appear like they do anymore. If you spot one in your shopping, let me know what it is.
Yep, I have a couple of 22lr rifles, and it sometimes just isn't enough, I don't want them running under my shed and dying in there, if you know what I mean.

I'll let you know what I find out there in gun shop land.

The "Boss" here in the house don't like the skunks neither, and gave me the go-ahead to go gun shopping - I don't want to miss out here.

MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #20165
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer
 
xring04's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: East Tn.
Oddometer: 302
For theMissionary.......

My birds head Rough rider.
For a $165 out the door with a LR and Mag cylinders, I'm a happy camper.





xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:14 AM   #20166
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring04 View Post
For theMissionary.......

My birds head Rough rider.
For a $165 out the door with a LR and Mag cylinders, I'm a happy camper.





GODDANGIT! Now I know what I need next! Thanks a lot!
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:23 AM   #20167
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer
 
xring04's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: East Tn.
Oddometer: 302
On the bright side, you're not going to be out a lot of bucks.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #20168
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring04 View Post
On the bright side, you're not going to be out a lot of bucks.
Very true.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #20169
xring04
Gnarly Adventurer
 
xring04's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: East Tn.
Oddometer: 302
I'm always glad when I can bring home a gun (that works) for less than the cost of a stamp.
xring04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 AM   #20170
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xring04 View Post
I'm always glad when I can bring home a gun (that works) for less than the cost of a stamp.
plus it does't look like a 165 dollar gun, it is nice.
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:57 AM   #20171
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
GODDANGIT! Now I know what I need next! Thanks a lot!

+1. The birdshead really makes it.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #20172
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
MZcountryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Northeast Kingdom, Vermont USA (close to Canada!)
Oddometer: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
I'll let you know what I find out there in gun shop land.

Alright local shop #1 has:

savage 111 in .223 w/6-14 scope wood stock with iron sights, ever so lightly used for $345

new savage "axis" with scope syn stock no sights for $340

older winchester model 70 in 22-250 with a big bull barrel and huge scope for $725

Being so close to deer season, .223 is hard to find in a non-tactical style around here.

I'm almost leaning towards the 111 at this point, I like wood stocks....
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #20173
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber
 
Sniper X's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZcountryboy View Post
Alright local shop #1 has:

savage 111 in .223 w/6-14 scope wood stock with iron sights, ever so lightly used for $345

new savage "axis" with scope syn stock no sights for $340

older winchester model 70 in 22-250 with a big bull barrel and huge scope for $725

Being so close to deer season, .223 is hard to find in a non-tactical style around here.

I'm almost leaning towards the 111 at this point, I like wood stocks....
The savage is a great deal, and the 22-250 is out solely from an ammo expense standpoint. A .223 is about 1/4th the price to shoot as a 22-250 even if you reload. Oh, and Vermont Deer must be like Texas Deer, as in small.....
__________________
" The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."
Straight Out Da Trailah!
Sniper X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #20174
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
GODDANGIT! Now I know what I need next! Thanks a lot!
You could spend all day practicing your Munden impression without breaking the bank.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #20175
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer
 
MZcountryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Northeast Kingdom, Vermont USA (close to Canada!)
Oddometer: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
The savage is a great deal, and the 22-250 is out solely from an ammo expense standpoint. A .223 is about 1/4th the price to shoot as a 22-250 even if you reload. Oh, and Vermont Deer must be like Texas Deer, as in small.....

I looked at the shelf for 22-250 ammo, he had only 3 boxes. That tells me something, and 3x the price of .223. The 22-250 is way more gun than I need too. The scope musta been 17" long.

VT deer can get to about 250lbs max, but most that are taken here are from 125-175 lbs.


All the deer hunters up here want some huge f'n gun, a 270 or 30-06 is small potatoes nowadays. They want the big magnums...... I don't get it. I say more deer have been shot in VT by a 30-30 than any other round, and the average shot here in VT is under 100 yards, due to hunting in the thick woods. I use a .308 as my deer rifle, an old winchester model 100. No deer has ever walked away from it yet.



I'm going to the next place, but will put the 111 at the top of the list.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014