User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 714 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2011, 08:04 AM   #20671
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,007
Watching the auction on a Hoag custom longslide 1911 ticking down to under an hour is giving me indigestion.
The_Commander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #20672
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnowdog View Post
It makes you wonder how hot those barrels got. How close to damage.
I bet most .22 barrels can take quite a bit of abuse.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #20673
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
Was at the range and practicing, brought a buddy and he had his berreta, asked if I wanted to try it. Sure I say. First shot was bullseye. Lucky as hell but got a tight group with it. I should have stopped after the bullseye though
Was it a Beretta 92 variant? Even though it seems popular to disparage the 92/M9 and pine for the days when the 1911 was the military service side-arm, I can say that it was a Beretta 92 which, in the 80s, led me into an enjoyment of semi-auto handguns and a couple of decades of IPSC and IDPA competition. Raised by a father who thought anything but a revolver was shit, I went along with that and my early experiences with 1911s (in the military and also shooting a 9mm Colt Commander which was about as accurate as throwing bricks at a really wide barn) only served to reinforce that bias. In the late 80s, however, bowing to the Wonder-Nine craze of that era, I bought a 92S and discovered that it was very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I used it in my first several IPSC matches and did better than I thought I would, graduated to 1911s, and have been shooting semi-autos ever since. I still love revolvers, though!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #20674
bigsnowdog
Sylvan Dweller

Oddometer: 18,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Was it a Beretta 92 variant? Even though it seems popular to disparage the 92/M9 and pine for the days when the 1911 was the military service side-arm, I can say that it was a Beretta 92 which, in the 80s, led me into an enjoyment of semi-auto handguns and a couple of decades of IPSC and IDPA competition. Raised by a father who thought anything but a revolver was shit, I went along with that and my early experiences with 1911s (in the military and also shooting a 9mm Colt Commander which was about as accurate as throwing bricks at a really wide barn) only served to reinforce that bias. In the late 80s, however, bowing to the Wonder-Nine craze of that era, I bought a 92S and discovered that it was very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I used it in my first several IPSC matches and did better than I thought I would, graduated to 1911s, and have been shooting semi-autos ever since. I still love revolvers, though!
I own 92's in standard size and compact, along with the 84. I also own 1911's.

I have never, ever, ever had a Beretta of that design fail to chamber or eject a round. On the other hand, the 1911's can and do fail. All the 1911's I own have done so, and that is even after having been throated, tuned, and stroked by gunsmiths said to be 1911 experts.

If I have to have a pistol that will work without question, it won't be a 1911.

NRA life

"It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on."
Marilyn Monroe

bigsnowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #20675
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,658
I really liked the M9 Berettas we carried. Easy to use and maintain, pretty accurate (I qualified "expert" everytime I fired it annual qualification, which I never did with the old K-frame .38's), never had a single malfunction in training. Not really small enough for concealed carry under a flightsuit, though, and the frame was a bit large for my hand which required some shifting of my grip when hitting the slide release and dropping clips.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #20676
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 15,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Lion View Post
A story of the development of the M16A1 can be found here:

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/m16a1.htm

George

Interesting article, George. Thanks for posting it.
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #20677
HardCase
winter is coming

What is it??

I realize that this might not be the right thread, or forum for that matter, to put this, but I figured that the gun thread would be where guys who know about critters/wildlife might hang out, so that's why I'm putting it here.

Yesterday I drove up the North Fork Road in NW Montana. Anyone who is familiar with that area is aware that it is pretty remote with lots of wildlife including coyotes and wolves. About 30 miles up the road, in an area where there's some private property (most of the land is Forest Service) a dog-like animal crossed the road in front of my truck, got on the other side of a wood fence, and stopped to look at me. I stopped too. I took a couple of pics before it bounded off. I managed to crop one down to show the critter reasonably clearly. It was medium-sized, bigger than most coyotes but not a huge animal. It doesn't look like a coyote to me, the ears are small and not as pointy, and although the picture doesn't show it, the tail isn't as big and bushy as most coyotes. I'm thinking wolf. If so, it'll be the first one I've ever seen in the wild. I suppose it could be a domestic dog too, but don't think so..... What say you?

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #20678
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,734
Should have shot it just to be on the safe side.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #20679
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Should have shot it just to be on the safe side.

1911fan
I think if I'd done that my girlfriend would have promptly popped a cap in my head! Besides, I just don't do gratuitous killing. If I'm not going to eat it, or it isn't trying to eat me, I don't shoot it, period. Eating is the key, either facilitating or preventing.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #20680
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,657
Only wolves I've ever seen were captive, but I've seen 'em very up-close... like right at the end of a leash close... that looks pretty wolfy to me but it's hard to be certain.

Here in the east, coyotes and dogs have been interbreeding for a long time. I couldn't say for sure that what you saw isn't a coyote-dog mix, but those look like wolf eyes.
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #20681
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
I realize that this might not be the right thread, or forum for that matter, to put this, but I figured that the gun thread would be where guys who know about critters/wildlife might hang out, so that's why I'm putting it here.

Yesterday I drove up the North Fork Road in NW Montana. Anyone who is familiar with that area is aware that it is pretty remote with lots of wildlife including coyotes and wolves. About 30 miles up the road, in an area where there's some private property (most of the land is Forest Service) a dog-like animal crossed the road in front of my truck, got on the other side of a wood fence, and stopped to look at me. I stopped too. I took a couple of pics before it bounded off. I managed to crop one down to show the critter reasonably clearly. It was medium-sized, bigger than most coyotes but not a huge animal. It doesn't look like a coyote to me, the ears are small and not as pointy, and although the picture doesn't show it, the tail isn't as big and bushy as most coyotes. I'm thinking wolf. If so, it'll be the first one I've ever seen in the wild. I suppose it could be a domestic dog too, but don't think so..... What say you?

Definitely not a coyote.

Face and mane is right for a Timber. Probably an adolescent or very young adult.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #20682
NC Scott
MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer: 1,498
Hang on let me go check my Harley shirt...

yep, that's a wolf. Most likely of the "Lone" variety.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #20683
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
I think if I'd done that my girlfriend would have promptly popped a cap in my head! Besides, I just don't do gratuitous killing. If I'm not going to eat it, or it isn't trying to eat me, I don't shoot it, period. Eating is the key, either facilitating or preventing.
Good onya for your standards. I applaud your integrity. That is a beautiful animal.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #20684
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,208
+1 on letting wildlife be, if it isn't going to be used.
lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #20685
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,315
Quote:
Was it a Beretta 92 variant?
no clue, it was black, big and shot 9mm ammo that is about the extent of my knowledge
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: