User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 709 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #20941
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,953
When gun rentals are outlawed, only outlaws will rent guns!!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #20942
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
When gun rentals are outlawed, only outlaws will rent guns!!
Yo, lemee get dat Desert rite der yo. I jus need it fo a minit.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #20943
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I have been around guns since 1966 and NEVER head of something lie this happening! WOW! This proves that gun laws and waiting periods have a work around!
Denver had the same problem a few years back. Guy walked in, ranted a gun, went to his position and blew his brains out.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #20944
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Denver had the same problem a few years back. Guy walked in, ranted a gun, went to his position and blew his brains out.
It happens a couple of times per year here in Vegas at different ranges. I guess they figure that it will be cheap and someone else will clean it up. One of my friends called Metro when a guy came in and asked to rent a handgun and one bullet. Actually the guy asked to rent a handgun, when my friend asked what kind the guy said "whatever". They decided on a .38 revolver and when my friend asked how much ammo he needed the guy said, "whatever.... I only need one bullet".

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #20945
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasKLRider View Post
It happens a couple of times per year here in Vegas at different ranges. I guess they figure that it will be cheap and someone else will clean it up. One of my friends called Metro when a guy came in and asked to rent a handgun and one bullet. Actually the guy asked to rent a handgun, when my friend asked what kind the guy said "whatever". They decided on a .38 revolver and when my friend asked how much ammo he needed the guy said, "whatever.... I only need one bullet".
I was in my buddies gun store when a guy came in and wanted to buy a gun and jokingly said he only wanted to buy a single bullet. Even though he was trying to buy a very high end Kimber for $1700.00, the owner said he was out of the sotre and to never come in even joking like that again. The guy apologized profusely and came back the next day bought the gun and is still "with us". He was actually kidding. I didn't get whether he was joking about wanting to kill himself or someone else.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #20946
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Looks nice... Has me wanting that SR1911 again.
Stop it
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #20947
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
Stop it

You know you want to.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #20948
84thProblem
Disbelief suspended

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
Its called The Bullethole, its in a suburb south of Kansas City.

The suicides were a way around the old waiting period. The murder / suicide the other day, presumably was with a rental gun as well. They haven't said publicly, but only reason that makes sense, to drive to the range to then shoot your GF and yourself.

So yeah, 4 intentional deaths in about 15 years. Crazy stuff.

How crazy would it be, to be on the range and shots start flying the wrong direction on purpose...
Hmm, had been thinking about trying this place out. Prolly still will, since I'm rarely suicidal and my GF would never accompany me anyway ...
Old 10-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #20949
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84thProblem View Post
Hmm, had been thinking about trying this place out. Prolly still will, since I'm rarely suicidal and my GF would never accompany me anyway ...
It is a nice range, they've just had some bad luck. After the first few suicides, I know their insurance (so I was told by the guy behind the counter) made them change to a private club. Meaning you MUST be a member or with a member, where previously it was just cheaper to be a member. Who knows what the latest round of craziness will do to insurance.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #20950
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Did my first "competitive" shoot last weekend in about 20years or so. I shot like crap but rememebered how much fun it was.
I am thinking about looking around to see if anyone has anything in the area....it was realy a huge amount of fun.
Check out the IDPA website, there are probably matches in your area. IPSC is fun too, different rules though. I've shot both off and on for years.

Gunbelt: I've got a Kraemer Double Horsehide, had it about 10 years. Holding up to EDC and matches just fine. Not cheap though, it was over $75 back then. Totally worth it.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #20951
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
Stop it
Gotta wait for the price to come down... Local store has them for $700, and you have to get on the waiting list. I will probably have to get a real reloading press first anyway. I figure it might not be bad carry gun either, given that I probably wouldn't carry much anyway since I can't at work.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #20952
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
I have been around guns since 1966 and NEVER head of something lie this happening! WOW! This proves that gun laws and waiting periods have a work around!
The gun range up in Bellevue (near Seattle) had a number of suicides IIRC - one in the last couple of years. I seem to recall hearing of them other places too. Didn't hear of any murder/suicides though. Googling "suicide" and "gun range" comes up with all kinds of matches.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #20953
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious D View Post
Anyone have a book that can date early S&W revolvers? I have an old model 10 38 special that has a serial # of 930012. It was carried by my great-uncle as a small town police officier at least 40 years ago.

Thanks in advance, D
I have "America's Right Arm" which is a book about the M&P and Model 10s

From what I can tell the Model 10 wasn't made until 1957. Before that they were Military & Police. You may not be looking at the right serial number. The correct serial number is usually stamped on the butt of the gun, and most likely will have an Alpha char or alpha and number prefix, i.e. "A" through "Z".

If you can post or PM more info I can look it up in the book.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 AM   #20954
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,423
Quote:
I was in my buddies gun store when a guy came in and wanted to buy a gun and jokingly said he only wanted to buy a single bullet. Even though he was trying to buy a very high end Kimber for $1700.00, the owner said he was out of the sotre and to never come in even joking like that again. The guy apologized profusely and came back the next day bought the gun and is still "with us". He was actually kidding. I didn't get whether he was joking about wanting to kill himself or someone else.
Happened a couple of times when I was working at Cabelas in Kansas City Kansas....A woman came in who had been tears wanting to buy a gun. People that were PO'ed. And others that you just got a bad "vibe" about. I always found it funny that you would walk into a store to buy a gun when they are SO easy to get in the DOT (locals will know what I mean by that).

The poilcy was that if YOU or any employee did not want to sell the person a firearm of anykind any employee could stop the sale.....I am sure that has all changed now that it is a public company...the bottom line is everything now.....that store has changed a bunch.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #20955
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,000
There are stats regarding indoor shooting ranges and suicides, as well as plain old accidental shootings.

The average range operation will have 2 suicides and 1 accidental (serious) shooting during the life of the operation.

It's something you have to watch for.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: