Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 849 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #21016
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Lots of Winchester White Box bashing over at The High Road lately.
Really? What seems to be the problem with it? I had no issues and the quality of the brass appears to be first rate.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #21017
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
For an AR, i like the Millet DMS-1. Available with the PEPR mount from SWFA for a fair price.
Looks like a nice piece of glass, I'm looking for some higher magnification, though.

Is it just me? On other forums I visit, posters are claiming they use 3x out to several hundred yards. Yet at 100 yards, I'm wishing I had more than 9x. I don't get it, is it just internet chest thumping, or do these guys have better eyes?
Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #21018
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Looks like a nice piece of glass, I'm looking for some higher magnification, though.

Is it just me? On other forums I visit, posters are claiming they use 3x out to several hundred yards. Yet at 100 yards, I'm wishing I had more than 9x. I don't get it, is it just internet chest thumping, or do these guys have better eyes?
I am new to scoped rifles this year and I have been using (mostly) an ACOG w/3.5 out to 400m and hit steel poppers consistently. The advantage of lower power is the reticle doesn't jump around as much and you have a much larger field of view.

Now when I work my skills up enough to shoot longer I will most likely use my 2.5 to 10 Nightforce

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #21019
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Lots of Winchester White Box bashing over at The High Road lately.
Wait, there was bashing of (*insert anything here) on the THR?

Seriously, what could the issue possibly have been?

-Peter
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #21020
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
Wait, there was bashing of (*insert anything here) on the THR?

Seriously, what could the issue possibly have been?

-Peter

Mostly QC issues IIRC. The one that sticks out is bullets installed backwords.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #21021
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:

I can think of several reasons for the difference between what some are claiming and your experience.

(1) As you say, it could be simple boasting on someones part.

(2) They are shooting high power type matches which now allows competitors to use glass. The targets are fairly large, large enough that they can be seen using iron sights so that the shooter is holding to the center of his sights. Magnification doesn't really help and too much can actually hurt.

(3) They have a spotting scope for viewing the target whereas you're using your scope for both shooting and looking at the target afterwards.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #21022
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
I am new to scoped rifles this year and I have been using (mostly) an ACOG w/3.5 out to 400m and hit steel poppers consistently. The advantage of lower power is the reticle doesn't jump around as much and you have a much larger field of view.

Now when I work my skills up enough to shoot longer I will most likely use my 2.5 to 10 Nightforce
That's what I mean, how do you see the target? In my limited experience, using a 3-9x at full magnification the target is only a small dot in the center of the field of view. At 3x I might as well be using iron sights.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #21023
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
On the subject of 45acp, you mention Blazer at $18.....I'm assuming that's for a box of 50. I hadn't purchased 45acp in years, have thousands of rounds of brass and handloaded stuff thanks to my Dillon 550 purchased in my IPSC days, but I wanted some factory for an experiment so last weekend I went to Wallmart and bought one of the 100 round Winchester Valupacks for $37, which works out to $18.50 for 50. Nice thing about that is that the ammo is excellent quality and uses, obviously, Winchester brass which has always been my favorite brand for handloading. What do Valupacks cost in TX?
I've only shot a small amount of white box, but most of the reviews ive read on it consider it about the same or worse than Blazer.

I've had good results with both.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:52 AM   #21024
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
That's what I mean, how do you see the target? In my limited experience, using a 3-9x at full magnification the target is only a small dot in the center of the field of view. At 3x I might as well be using iron sights.
I guess it is because I learned to shoot with iron sights. Any magnification helps at that point.

Magnification can also hurt you if you can see the bullet holes: When you are focusing on the holes you are not focussing on the reticle (like the front sight) so you will not be as accurate.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #21025
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueClimber View Post
I guess it is because I learned to shoot with iron sights. Any magnification helps at that point.

Magnification can also hurt you if you can see the bullet holes: When you are focusing on the holes you are not focussing on the reticle (like the front sight) so you will not be as accurate.
That makes sense, I guess I need to practice more without the scope then. Darn, more range time.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #21026
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Winchester Ammoe...

Examine closely before loading magazine.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #21027
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
You'll note he said he was using a 3.5x ACOG. That is a hugely high-quality piece of glass. I have two of them, a 3.5x on an AR10 and a 4x on an AR15, and they are truly excellent. I think my view of the target with a good-quality 3 or 4x is better than a 6 - 10 with a lesser quality scope. No comparison to iron sights, none whatsoever.....although I do enjoy shooting with irons too.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #21028
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,943
Quote:

Mostly QC issues IIRC. The one that sticks out is bullets installed backwords.

They work better that way.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 10-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #21029
HardCase
winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I've only shot a small amount of white box, but most of the reviews ive read on it consider it about the same or worse than Blazer.

I've had good results with both.
Hey EG, it didn't occur to me to ask earlier whether you were using Blazer Brass, or the aluminum non-reloadable stuff. Their Brass product is truly excellent IMHO, and I don't use the aluminun stuff simply because I handload and want the cases. I have shot some of the aluminum though, primarily in 9mm because I don't typically handload that round, find it too much fuss for too little savings or gain, and found it good. But I have had amazing luck with Winchester brass over the years, mostly in 308, 223 and 45acp. In 223 caliber it is the first pick of most High Power match shooters, they swear by Win. brass.

Hard cases make bad law.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:09 PM   #21030
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Hey EG, it didn't occur to me to ask earlier whether you were using Blazer Brass, or the aluminum non-reloadable stuff. Their Brass product is truly excellent IMHO, and I don't use the aluminun stuff simply because I handload and want the cases. I have shot some of the aluminum though, primarily in 9mm because I don't typically handload that round, find it too much fuss for too little savings or gain, and found it good. But I have had amazing luck with Winchester brass over the years, mostly in 308, 223 and 45acp. In 223 caliber it is the first pick of most High Power match shooters, they swear by Win. brass.

Ah yes, it's Blazer Brass.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: