Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 681 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #21061
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
No arguments at all, but the "feel" of those older wood stocked rifles are just.... different. Yes, I haven't seen any Savage model whatevers with the synthetic stock that wouldn't shoot sub MOA groups right out of the box with decent factory ammoes. You can go buy a Savage for under $300, literally take it out of the box, and it will shoot under an inch at 100 meters.

You can also get drunk on MD20/20, but that's not the same as sipping on some nice 18 year old McCallen.
The Macallan?

Carry on...
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #21062
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Was it not threaded already for a flash hider/compensator?
nope

and yes it's post ban, in fact it's about a year old, former owner was putting some crap ammo through it and he said it was jambing, i ran 60 rounds through it as fast as i could pull the trigger, never failed,

i got the tan done, taped it up and got the brown sprayed tonight,

i have a .22 conversion ordered

Toadady screwed with this post 10-17-2011 at 07:32 PM
Toadady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #21063
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,316
Decided that I was getting a little too hot headed with my $1000 budget gun ideas over the last few weeks.

Still looking for something fun and practical. Decided I'd look at shotguns since decent ones can be had for $250-$500. Plenty of competing sports for them and plenty useful as HD/SHTF firearms.

Basically decided a long time ago that a Rem 870 long/short barrel combo was the way to go.

But recently saw the 887 is not much more, comes with a few goodies and the idea of the super protective coating is pretty attractive.

Opinions?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #21064
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,999
Quote:
Decided that I was getting a little too hot headed with my $1000 budget gun ideas over the last few weeks.

Still looking for something fun and practical. Decided I'd look at shotguns since decent ones can be had for $250-$500. Plenty of competing sports for them and plenty useful as HD/SHTF firearms.

Basically decided a long time ago that a Rem 870 long/short barrel combo was the way to go.

But recently saw the 887 is not much more, comes with a few goodies and the idea of the super protective coating is pretty attractive.

Opinions?
Well the 887 isn't replacing the 870. The 887 seems to be going up against the Benelli (Super) Nova. The biggest advantage of the 870 is all of the aftermarket parts. It's a tough shotgun with a long history. The 887 is supposed to be more weather resistant though. Not a fan of all the plastic. Haven't seen one in person though. I really like the 870 Wingmaster.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #21065
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Well the 887 isn't replacing the 870. The 887 seems to be going up against the Benelli (Super) Nova. The biggest advantage of the 870 is all of the aftermarket parts. It's a tough shotgun with a long history. The 887 is supposed to be more weather resistant though. Not a fan of all the plastic. Haven't seen one in person though. I really like the 870 Wingmaster.
I prefer wood over plastic, but if the plastic is done well it doesn't bother me.

It's supposed to shoot much nicer than the 870, especially in the recoil department.

They have a tactical version for about $400 which looks like a mean bitch. The mall ninja in me wants that and then a 28" barrel so if I go hit up the range I can slap on the longer barrel and take the two shell extension off for a more sport friendly version.

But just the 28" game/comp version I think is only like $40 more with stuff like a good front sight and recoil pad which I assume I'd get at some point anyways.

But the 870 is beautiful in both the long barrel game/comp setup and the "police" setup as long as it has real wood furniture on it.

The snag for me is that for all the added zazz (which most reviewers seem to like) it's really not much more than the 870.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #21066
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,999
Quote:
I prefer wood over plastic, but if the plastic is done well it doesn't bother me.

It's supposed to shoot much nicer than the 870, especiall yint he recoil department.

They have a tactical version for about $400 which looks like a mean bitch. The mall ninja in me wants that and then a 28" barrel so if I go hit up the range I can slap on the longer barrel and take the two shell extension off for a more sport friendly version.

But just the 28" game/comp version I think is only like $40 more with stuff like a good front sight and recoil pad which I assume I'd get at some point anyways.

But the 870 is beautiful in both the long barrel game/comp setup and the "police" setup.

The snag for me is that for all the added zazz (which most reviewers seem to like) it's really not much more than the 870.
Wingmaster or a Police Magnum with wood hardware, that's where my money would be. I've used an old Wingmaster and loved it. I the old '67 Mossberg 500 and a Benelli M2 21" Field as well. I've thought about picking up a Benelli Supernova but I do love steel & wood. I'll probably pick up a 870 Police or maybe an A5 and cut it down. I like ugly guns too.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 PM   #21067
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
If you want a shotgun you can beat and abuse, I would go ahead and go for the 870 Express. Not as pretty as a Wingmaster by far, but better looking than the 887 and I'd dare say almost as durable (so long as you aren't planning on doing some stupid Glock torture test to it). I shot mine for 4 or 5 years of trap in high school. It was probably something like 200+ rounds a week during the season, and I'd assume I only cleaned it every couple years Never missed a beat. It's got a long barrel but I've never wanted a shorty, the long barrel was handy for reaching out and touching some turkeys. Choke change and you are back to clay shooting again.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #21068
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
If you want a shotgun you can beat and abuse, I would go ahead and go for the 870 Express. Not as pretty as a Wingmaster by far, but better looking than the 887 and I'd dare say almost as durable (so long as you aren't planning on doing some stupid Glock torture test to it). I shot mine for 4 or 5 years of trap in high school. It was probably something like 200+ rounds a week during the season, and I'd assume I only cleaned it every couple years Never missed a beat. It's got a long barrel but I've never wanted a shorty, the long barrel was handy for reaching out and touching some turkeys. Choke change and you are back to clay shooting again.
Why is it so hard for you to get a handgun, yet you were allowed to do trap shooting in high school?

Old 10-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #21069
ridered3000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:

Opinions?
I have an 870 Express I got in 89.It has been my bad weather deer gun since then and the metal is still in great shape.I make sure to clean it thoroughly after every rain/ice/snow storm. If you want the super protective coating I can understand that but you can get by without it with no worry
ridered3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #21070
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Why is it so hard for you to get a handgun, yet you were allowed to do trap shooting in high school?

I'm confused

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #21071
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Have M-16's and M-4's started coming down in price?
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:24 AM   #21072
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
When you use the term M-16 and M-4, I take that to mean you are referring to full-automatic arms. If so, I do not know the answer but imagine The Commander or others might.

If, OTOH, you mean ARs, semi-autos, in general, yes, they've come down in price and are much more available than they were for a year or so following the '08 election.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #21073
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,486
Quote:
Free with enlistment.

Otherwise you're gonna have to pay about a grand for a quality AR-15
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #21074
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER View Post
I like it...

Problem is, our indoor range is stand, point weapon down range, and fire at a slow rate of speed. No drawing, no speed reloads, etc. So while I feel like that is for sure an area where I could improve, no love at the range.
No worries. With a two handed grip, bring the pistol in towards your chest with it still pointed downrange of course. Then push it forward towards the target, line up the sights and squeeze. After that shot, bring it back in to your chest, then repeat. That approximates the last part of the draw process. Most ranges that prohibit rapid fire do so because yahoos crank off a full mag and walk the rounds into the ceiling, the cables that hold the targets, etc. A single double tap should be fine. So after working on singles, work on doubles.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #21075
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
I agree that "Good" ones seem to hover around the $1000 mark +- ..... years ago I bought a real colt sporter hbar brand spanking new. I don't know how many rounds I have run in the thing, but never a FTE FTF with even the cheapest ammo I have feed it....My friend has a bushmaster...another "GOOD" one and that thing is the most finicky thing. What will not run in his rifle will run just fine in mine...not sure why the difference....mine is going on 20+ years old, his is pretty new. He was telling me I should trade mine in...why...so I could buy a new one that will not run as well as the one I have and be a few hundred ahead....no I will just keep the old one.

I just told him that the Pony is better then the Snake....one will run, the other just slithers
FPGT72 is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: