EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #21077
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
You got to shoot trap in high school.
Oh, oh that. Yeah, trap is a big deal in Nebraska! Practically every high school I knew had a trap team.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #21078
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Oh, oh that. Yeah, trap is a big deal in Nebraska! Practically every high school I knew had a trap team.
Growing up in the suburbs sucks.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
Old 10-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #21079
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I agree that "Good" ones seem to hover around the $1000 mark +- ..... years ago I bought a real colt sporter hbar brand spanking new. I don't know how many rounds I have run in the thing, but never a FTE FTF with even the cheapest ammo I have feed it....My friend has a bushmaster...another "GOOD" one and that thing is the most finicky thing. What will not run in his rifle will run just fine in mine...not sure why the difference....mine is going on 20+ years old, his is pretty new. He was telling me I should trade mine in...why...so I could buy a new one that will not run as well as the one I have and be a few hundred ahead....no I will just keep the old one.

I just told him that the Pony is better then the Snake....one will run, the other just slithers
If he's asking about real M16's and M4's then you'll have to add another zero to your price. NFA Class 3 machine guns are not cheap nor will they go down in price as there is a limited number of them. They had to be registered before 1986 IIRC.

Now for your comment; Bushmaster isn't really considered 'Good' anymore More like OK. Back in the day they were considered good because there wasn't much else out there. Compared to DPMS and Olympic Arms, they were good. Not compared to a Colt though. Now a days they're usually considered below companies like S&W, CMMG, Stag, Rock River Arms, Spike's Tactical, etc... From what I've seen, quality hasn't gone up. Even the new ones need work done to be 100% reliable.

Here are some cool NFA machine guns - http://www.impactguns.com/machine-guns.aspx
Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #21080
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I agree that "Good" ones seem to hover around the $1000 mark +- ..... years ago I bought a real colt sporter hbar brand spanking new. I don't know how many rounds I have run in the thing, but never a FTE FTF with even the cheapest ammo I have feed it....My friend has a bushmaster...another "GOOD" one and that thing is the most finicky thing. What will not run in his rifle will run just fine in mine...not sure why the difference....mine is going on 20+ years old, his is pretty new. He was telling me I should trade mine in...why...so I could buy a new one that will not run as well as the one I have and be a few hundred ahead....no I will just keep the old one.

I just told him that the Pony is better then the Snake....one will run, the other just slithers

I had the same discussion a while back: Mine: older, basic Colt AR. His: something else (I think it was an Oly) with a bunch of the latest gadgets.

After trading guns a couple of times, no contest. Something is very right about those Colt ARs. YMMV.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #21081
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Growing up in the suburbs sucks.
I grew up in a town of 250,000 people

http://www.cornhusker-trap.com/

Says they had 1,900 middle/high school kids this year. That's approximately 0.1% of the whole population of Nebraska

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #21082
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I grew up in a town of 250,000 people

http://www.cornhusker-trap.com/

Says they had 1,900 middle/high school kids this year. That's approximately 0.1% of the whole population of Nebraska
Just gimmie my moment, dammit!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #21083
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Well the 887 isn't replacing the 870. The 887 seems to be going up against the Benelli (Super) Nova. The biggest advantage of the 870 is all of the aftermarket parts. It's a tough shotgun with a long history. The 887 is supposed to be more weather resistant though. Not a fan of all the plastic. Haven't seen one in person though. I really like the 870 Wingmaster.
Its sad Dupont isnt making the finish anymore. Those were good years for them.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #21084
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Heh heh heh.

Yeah. I still want a civie AR. Probably a carbine. Sweet jesus there is a lot to know. The core rifle I get, it's all the bells and whistles that make me go .
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #21085
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Its sad Dupont isnt making the finish anymore. Those were good years for them.
DuPont owned a large stake in Remington till '93, IIRC. I prefer the parkerized Police Magnum though I wouldn't turn down an old Weathered Wingmaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
Heh heh heh.

Yeah. I still want a civie AR. Probably a carbine. Sweet jesus there is a lot to know. The core rifle I get, it's all the bells and whistles that make me go .
There are a lot of parts out there at just about every price point. You just have to stay away from the airsoft knockoffs. Get a rifle from a respectable company and you shouldn't have problems with it. Leave it alone or dress it up. It can get expensive fast though especially if you want to good stuff.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #21086
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
DuPont owned a large stake in Remington till '93, IIRC. I prefer the parkerized Police Magnum though I wouldn't turn down an old Weathered Wingmaster.

There are a lot of parts out there at just about every price point. You just have to stay away from the airsoft knockoffs. Get a rifle from a respectable company and you shouldn't have problems with it. Leave it alone or dress it up. It can get expensive fast though especially if you want to good stuff.
Somewhere around there. The dupont coated 870 I hunt with has held up way better than my newer HD and old wingmaster.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #21087
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Re the Winchester Model 70, and the coveted and fabled pre-64 ones specifically, I have two, inherited from my father who was a big fan and had four of them (the other two went to other kinfolk when he passed), but don't shoot them, partly because they are valuable, both intrinsically and as family heirlooms, and partially because there are better shooters available now.

No disrespect intended, and the pre-64s are certainly viable hunting rifles, no doubt about it, but if you are in the market for a hunting rifle there are lots of better, more accurate and cheaper alternatives available. The pre-64s are all about nostalgia. A good Savage, Ruger, Remington 700, or one of the newer Model 70s, is probably going to be a better and more accurate hunting rifle.

No disrepect taken and I get the what you are saying. My Dad got this rifle for me when I was 12.Kind of a side story but My Dad pretty much invented the controlls for the mechanical bull before solid state stuff came around remember those? And yes the ones on the movie Urban Cowboy he built and installed at Gilley's. I was his test dummy and went along on many of his trips it was cool.

He got this from an old bull rider that raised bulls and won this back in the day at a rodeo as a prize when he rode and he didn't shoot so my Dad traded his work for it. I was told it was shot three times before I got it this was in about 1980. The stock is bloodstained and beaten up a bit now. Mabe it's just a good one or I just shoot better with it
and really all it does is hunt mabe one paper plate just to check at camp once in a while.

Sorry for the long post but this is my goto hunting rifle.It is balls on for as far as I shoot. I own many more but when you have so many hunting memories with a gun it is hard to leave it in the safe when you go out.This is the I love this gun thread right.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:34 PM   #21088
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
No disrepect taken and I get the what you are saying. My Dad got this rifle for me when I was 12.Kind of a side story but My Dad pretty much invented the controlls for the mechanical bull before solid state stuff came around remember those? And yes the ones on the movie Urban Cowboy he built and installed at Gilley's. I was his test dummy and went along on many of his trips it was cool.

He got this from an old bull rider that raised bulls and won this back in the day at a rodeo as a prize when he rode and he didn't shoot so my Dad traded his work for it. I was told it was shot three times before I got it this was in about 1980. The stock is bloodstained and beaten up a bit now. Mabe it's just a good one or I just shoot better with it
and really all it does is hunt mabe one paper plate just to check at camp once in a while.

Sorry for the long post but this is my goto hunting rifle.It is balls on for as far as I shoot. I own many more but when you have so many hunting memories with a gun it is hard to leave it in the safe when you go out.This is the I love this gun thread right.
That's great! I like stories like that. In fact, a while back, maybe a month or two ago in this thread I tried to encourage the gun folks to post stories of special/fabled guns in their lives, not necessarily their first gun (although that would certainly be okay), but a gun that meant a lot to them because of the hunting adventures they had with it, or the time it saved their life, or won some major competition, or just one they carried in a lot of different situations. I posted such a story about a S&W Model 67 revolver. A couple of guys chimed in, but not many. Anyway, you just did and I like and appreciate it! That's good stuff, far more meaningful IMHO than seeing a pic of some fancy-ass gun and a note saying "hey, check out this cool gun!!" Not that I haven't been guilty of that more than once!!

I mentioned that my dad had four pre-64 Model 70s. One was a 30-06 that went to my brother because he wanted it. One was a 375H&H which my son wanted. One is a 458 Win. Mag. African.....I had to have that one, I used it to shoot gophers once when I was a high-school kid, no shit. Dad would load these huge homecast 500gr. lead bullets to real low velocity, basically a mild 45/70 load although in 458 brass, and he shot elk, deer, antelope and a bear with that rifle, it was his favorite hunting rifle. The day I took it I didn't ask his permission, just found a box of ammo, grabbed the rifle, and off I went. I had a blast, literally, and when I got home he was real pissed. He told me that day that I was never to touch that rifle again until he died, at which time I could have it. And that is exactly what happened.

The last of them is a 243 in a target rifle configuration, with a stainless bull barrel and old style target/bench-rest stock. Very odd gun and especially in that caliber. I have that one too. I've not shot either of them since he died, have them both in the safe. Now that I think of it, I don't even have any 458 or 243 ammo, neither are calibers that I've ever had.

I love gun stories as much as I love guns. In fact, I think in the final analysis it's the stories that make this hobby special. It's probably why my posts here tend to often be long and rambling like this one.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #21089
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I love gun stories as much as I love guns. In fact, I think in the final analysis it's the stories that make this hobby special. It's probably why my posts here tend to often be long and rambling like this one.

I agree. These two were my Grandfathers. Not worth much other than to me The old remington I think to be made in the 1910's to 20's the Springfield probablly late 30's or early 40's .I still shoot them once in a while with light loads. I remember my Grandpa walking out with the old heavy remington when I was little and told me to shoot one of the roosters that was causing trouble in the head of course. He had put a slug in it just to watch it knock me on my ass. Those heavy barrels you would think take some of the kick away. Not in these blowback guns.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #21090
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 30,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
I agree. These two were my Grandfathers. Not worth much other than to me The old remington I think to be made in the 1910's to 20's the Springfield probablly late 30's or early 40's .I still shoot them once in a while with light loads. I remember my Grandpa walking out with the old heavy remington when I was little and told me to shoot one of the roosters that was causing trouble in the head of course. He had put a slug in it just to watch it knock me on my ass. Those heavy barrels you would think take some of the kick away. Not in these blowback guns.

I took my dad's Remington Model 11 12 gauge grouse hunting this last weekend. I now remember why he quit using it and bought a Model 12 Winchester in 20 gauge. The old bastard is heavy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: