Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 659 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 02:30 PM   #21256
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Don't forget the classic 152 gear 125 in T2.
That was a Honda XR100 if I remember correctly...but it sounded like a YZ80 and did have a 125 speed gearbox.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #21257
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
I was watching an old episode of "Dragnet" and they said the perp used a " blue steel .38 cal semi-automatic handgun". I thought to myself, that's a mistake!
Never heard of .38 auto.

Looks like it's not the same casing though, (was called .38 Colt) but you learn something new all the time.
There is also the 38 Super which is still a very popular IPSC round, and has been around for quite a few years. Colt made 1911s in that caliber. Pretty potent round, approaching 357 ballistics IIRC.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #21258
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
There is also the 38 Super which is still a very popular IPSC round, and has been around for quite a few years. Colt made 1911s in that caliber. Pretty potent round, approaching 357 ballistics IIRC.
RIA has one in .38super.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #21259
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
RIA has one in .38super.
yep, even have a target master model in .38super due out if not already. My next new gun will be their target model for 450.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #21260
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,445
I'm looking for rifle recommendations for a semi-automatic fun-to-shoot "non-scary" rifle. Since I live in DC, it has to meet several draconian standards, found here:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/frames.asp?d...gistration.pdf

In short, no AR-15, or AK, or Bushmaster or equivalent scary looking rifle. It cannot have a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, a folding or telescoping stock, a flash suppressor or a forward pistol grip.

I was thinking a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle w/wooden stock in .223 (w 5/round mag, naturally).

Any other suggestions? Price no object.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #21261
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
I'm looking for rifle recommendations for a semi-automatic fun-to-shoot "non-scary" rifle. Since I live in DC, it has to meet several draconian standards, found here:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/frames.asp?d...gistration.pdf

In short, no AR-15, or AK, or Bushmaster or equivalent scary looking rifle. It cannot have a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, a folding or telescoping stock, a flash suppressor or a forward pistol grip.

I was thinking a Mini-14 Ranch Rifle w/wooden stock in .223 (w 5/round mag, naturally).

Any other suggestions? Price no object.
A Mini-14 would be good, although they have a reputation for being not terribly accurate. I've seen accurized ones and think that Ruger has even come out with a target model recently that is decently accurate.

What about a nice Springfield Armory M1A with a wood stock and small mag? If I could only have one rifle it'd likely be an M1A.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #21262
Jarvis
DC GSer

Quote:
What about a nice Springfield Armory M1A with a wood stock and small mag? If I could only have one rifle it'd likely be an M1A.
Tell me more... I was under the impression those were all surplus, and relatively large caliber. No?
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #21263
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Tell me more... I was under the impression those were all surplus, and relatively large caliber. No?

They're expensive aren't they?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #21264
Jarvis
DC GSer

Quote:
Never mind... http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...icktype=rifles

Pretty.

I'd need to get one without a flash supressor, so it is not an "assault rifle" here in DC. Do they come off?

Edit: and a five-round magazine.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:05 PM   #21265
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Springfield Armory makes brand new ones and they kick ass although they are expensive as in over 1200 clams. .308 btw which is 7.62x51 nato.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #21266
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Pretty.

I'd need to get one without a flash supressor, so it is not an "assault rifle" here in DC. Do they come off?

They might have a Cal legal version, look on their site.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #21267
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,726
Quote:
A Mini-14 would be good, although they have a reputation for being not terribly accurate. I've seen accurized ones and think that Ruger has even come out with a target model recently that is decently accurate.

The brand-new Minis are 'supposed' to be more accurate, but I dunno if anybody really buys a Mini for target shooting these days

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #21268
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Pretty.

I think this might be OK in DC....

http://www.impactguns.com/springfiel...397019266.aspx
Old 10-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #21269
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,994
Quote:
I wasn't really arguing in favor of the 45 exactly. Yeah, it's a good round and I've shot lots of it over the years, but for CCW purposes I carry either the aforementioned 340PD, a Springfield EMP in 9x19, or sometimes a 32 Seecamp. For sure bullets have gotten lots better in the past century!

You do refernce the military use of FMJ ammo. When I was in the Army I always thought it was odd that you could blow the shit out of some poor schmuck with a Claymore, rip him to shreds with cluster bombs and fragmentation grenades, or toast his ass with WP or napalm, but couldn't shoot him with a soft-point bullet. Egads.
Not jumping on you but rather just throwing the additional info out there.

I never really understood the Hague Convention either. War was a supposedly a bit more civilized back then I suppose. I doubt anyone's going to call foul if we used deadly'er ammunition though. FMJ for unarmored targets isn't optimal at all. Not that this is even conventional warfare against an enemy that plays by the rules anyway.

In any case, ammo choice can be a game changer. I don't believe law enforcement use FMJ's anymore.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #21270
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
Not jumping on you but rather just throwing the additional info out there.

I never really understood the Hague Convention either. War was a supposedly a bit more civilized back then I suppose. I doubt anyone's going to call foul if we used deadly'er ammunition though. FMJ for unarmored targets isn't optimal at all. Not that this is even conventional warfare against an enemy that plays by the rules anyway.

In any case, ammo choice can be a game changer. I don't believe law enforcement use FMJ's anymore.

Our local Sheriff's office uses Gold Dot's for the most part, in .45, 1911 allowed for carry.

The thought behind sticking with FMJ for military rounds is that every enemy combatant you kill takes one person out of the fight. Every one you wound, as with a FMJ bullet, takes out that person, plus 2 more to care for them. At least that's what Uncle Sugar told me once many moons ago.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: