User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 621 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #21271
GreaseGorilla
Banned

Oddometer: 415
hope this aint 205.......well it can't be its 4000RPM!!!

GreaseGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #21272
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,407
I got mine.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:40 PM   #21273
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis View Post
Never mind... http://www.springfield-armory.com/ar...icktype=rifles

Pretty.

I'd need to get one without a flash supressor, so it is not an "assault rifle" here in DC. Do they come off?

Edit: and a five-round magazine.
Mine is a standard M1A with a green plastic stock, I got it for a good price about 4 years back. It came with a 5 and a 10 round mag. I know the flash suppressor can be removed, but dang, the flash suppressor on an M14/M1A is the sexiest one in existence IMHO! I think the gun would look cosmetically far less lovely with it removed, and, as you know, we are all about looking good!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #21274
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
They're expensive aren't they?
Seems like the ones I've seen in shops lately run around $1400-1500, but he said that money was no object. They are great rifles, worth all of that.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #21275
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
Seems like the ones I've seen in shops lately run around $1400-1500, but he said that money was no object. They are great rifles, worth all of that.
Oh.

Then get 4-5 of them at least.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #21276
Squidward
At home in my jammies

Oddometer: 1,827
+1 on an M1a (scout ) . Best rifle I have ever shot or owned. Expensive, yes! Here in 'gun-friendly' CA they are now 1700 to 2000 dollars.. Ammo is also expensive but the thing commands attention, is uber-accurate and easy to maintain.

A mini is fine if you want a .223. Easily good to 100 yards and accessories are plentiful. There's a guy in Utah (i think) who does trigger jobs bringing them down to 3.5 lbs., if you're into that. Accustrut gets high praise for improving accuracy. No issues with any of mine. ever! Get the ranch model IMHO

Also in .223: Kel Tec SU-16. Takes AR mags is lightweight and fold-able. built in picatinny rail so it easily takes optics. No issues so far with mine.

Benelli makes the MR1. Borderline scary appearance. I have no experience with it.

In a .22 rimfire ... 10/22. very cool. Info here: rimfirecentral.com

Or.. If money really is no object; get them all...
Old 10-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #21277
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

That's a pretty rifle.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:32 PM   #21278
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
Our local Sheriff's office uses Gold Dot's for the most part, in .45, 1911 allowed for carry.

The thought behind sticking with FMJ for military rounds is that every enemy combatant you kill takes one person out of the fight. Every one you wound, as with a FMJ bullet, takes out that person, plus 2 more to care for them. At least that's what Uncle Sugar told me once many moons ago.
US military had a big shift towards heavier bullets to make up for the over-penetration issue they have with unarmored targets. All of the M14's that were in the arsenals were issued several years ago when a quick fix was requested. Later the Army rebuilt many of them into M14 DMR's as well as the MK14 EBR's. A few years later there was the development of the 6.8 SPC (Special Purpose Cartridge) which is supposed to bridge the gap between the 5.56 and the 7.62 but never went anywhere. They then moved from M193 55 grain to M855 62 grain bullets. The also have the Mk 262 Mod 0/1 77 grain and MK318 MOD 0 enhanced 62 grain are open-tipped but are used more sparingly. The MK262 uses a Sierra Match King bullet or Nosler for use in the MK12 SPR. Although you don't hear or see the MK12 SPR being used that extensively any longer. A newer bullet is the 300 BLK or 300 AAC Blackout which comes in 125 grain and 220 grain is gaining steam.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #21279
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 4,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post

Benelli makes the MR1. Borderline scary appearance. I have no experience with it.
The MR1 was really going to be a Beretta product. It was originally designed for Police/Military and called the RX4. It was at the SHOT Show back in '09 I think. The SBR version isn't that bad looking. With the flexibility of the Benelli stock (pistol grip as well as straight), they can market it in areas that have strict laws. CA comes to mind. Readily available cheap magazines is a bit plus as well.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #21280
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

That's a pretty rifle.
Help me out here, what is that? I like it!
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #21281
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Help me out here, what is that? I like it!
Benelli R1 with wood furniture.

She pricy though.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #21282
hutch451
aka pork shoulder

Oddometer: 1,495
[QUOTE=Fe Man;17146386]Hey Hutch![/QUOTE
Hey Fe, how about some interior pics of your hunt cabin. Sun. I got take my daughter out to bust some clays. First time out with her new pink mossy 500 youth model 20 gauge. After about a 1/2 hour, she starded busting them at about a 80% rate. It was a damn good day for a non riding day
hutch451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #21283
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,374
How much does this Pollo dry fires his sp101?

Tonight, the transfer bar broke.

That much.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #21284
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloAsesino View Post
How much does this Pollo dry fires his sp101?

Tonight, the transfer bar broke.

That much.
Snap Caps like I like.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #21285
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Wow...some very cool stuff in that safe. Do you still have the PSL, is it a TGI or Century....how do you like it, mine is a Tenn gun version and I am pretty happy with it so far..... Your FAL is it a century, DSA, or kit?

Gots the GAS for a FAL. Might also pick up an AK of some kind...nothing fancy...if I could get a WASR that would run that would fit my bill just fine....but those are hitting the mid $400's now...should have bought one when they where going for under $300.
Its a build off a DCI using a mil parts kit. The original scope started stringing so I topped it with one of those fancy 1P21 scopes. 3-9 power with range finding reticle and auto adjustable for range. Pretty interesting scope. And its not far off from 7n14 ballistics. I could explain it, but pics would help better.

http://www.dragunov.net/1p21.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
Anyone who makes that argument does not understand physic. A bullet will not overcome any persons momentum. Newtons 3rd Law, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So for that round to come out of a gun with enough energy to move an attacker backwards, it would have moved the shooter backwards as well. That is Hollywood shit. People are not blown backwards when shot. They just drop. A large enough round that might theoretically move them backwards, will pass through them taking chunks with it, and they will drop.
+1 to that. Its impossible for a bullet unless it has an engine or some other means of gaining velocity to gain momentum downrange to produce that hollywood style effect.

As far as CCWs and calibers go. Shot placement trumps caliber, and caliber trumps BS marketing gimmics like stopping power. Proper bullet selection is another thing to consider. IMO a .380 is not enough. Sure it will kill if properly placed, but in the same sized platform you can carry a 9 or 40.. even a .45 in a slightly larger frame.

Kahr mk9 vs a walther ppk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
A Mini-14 would be good, although they have a reputation for being not terribly accurate. I've seen accurized ones and think that Ruger has even come out with a target model recently that is decently accurate.

What about a nice Springfield Armory M1A with a wood stock and small mag? If I could only have one rifle it'd likely be an M1A.
The older minis suffered from barrel whip. Common accurizing practice was to chop the barrel to legal minimum 16" or 16 1/4"to reduce the whip and tighten up the groups. The other plague of the mini series was the aftermarket mags... they flat out suck and stock rugers are expensive.. to the tune of $35+ per mag.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: