Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 849 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #21391
rdsmith3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RN_Rider View Post
Just read through all 14XX pages over the course of several days...awesome thread!

Question re: old military rifles that were 'brought back' by someone's dad, grandpa, etc...I've always wondered how this works. Was this common practice post-war back in the day? Seems like an odd concept today, but different time I suppose.
I am new here ...

I have my father's Japanese rifle that he brought back from Burma in WW II. As I understand his situation, each soldier was given a cigarette ration. My father did not smoke. Cigarettes were effectively a form of currency, and he traded cigarettes for souvenirs. He brought back a machete that natives made from a truck's leaf spring, and a bolt action Japanese rifle.

And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.
James 3:18
rdsmith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #21392
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,221
6AM. Off to the range. We're hosting the 1st ever IPSC match in Esperance. Plenty of prep work and lots of helping hands. It's going to be a good one.

PS: Finally got my 303 license and it came home this week. Plenty to be thankful for

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #21393
enjine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
New Agent

Ok, finally some pics of a recent purchase a few weeks back:

As it came:

Been to the range twice:

Example of the trench sites. Rear should be higher for actual accuracy, but for the photo:

Another profile

Barrel profile:

Slide with fibers from cleaning:

For comparison with a worthy cousin, 6" Python:

Another comparison:

Description of how it behaved at the range to come. And this one is the 9mm version of the Colt New Agent, not the 45. I wonder if they have a conversion as it would be pretty cool to have 2 - in - 1, like the python. The guy at the LGS said the barrel exterior is the same diameter, but the 45 is just wider on the inside. I don't know the correct terminology for the outside and the inside obviously, but you get the point. Seems like there could be an easy conversion there.

Anyone else have one?
enjine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #21394
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjine View Post

Description of how it behaved at the range to come. And this one is the 9mm version of the Colt New Agent, not the 45. I wonder if they have a conversion as it would be pretty cool to have 2 - in - 1, like the python. The guy at the LGS said the barrel exterior is the same diameter, but the 45 is just wider on the inside. I don't know the correct terminology for the outside and the inside obviously, but you get the point. Seems like there could be an easy conversion there.

Anyone else have one?

I would NOT want to shoot something that size in 45ACP. I think the 9mm is just fine. I had a Kimber Ultra CDP in 40S&W and thought it would be fine since it was not 45ACP. It was a handfull. A Pachmyr grip made it manageable, but then bulked it up and made it less concealable.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #21395
enjine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
[QUOTE=GoGo Gadget;17180332]I would NOT want to shoot something that size in 45ACP./QUOTE]

good point, which reminds me why i got it in 9mm in the first place
enjine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #21396
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,605
Quote:
And this one is the 9mm version of the Colt New Agent, not the 45. I wonder if they have a conversion as it would be pretty cool to have 2 - in - 1, like the python. The guy at the LGS said the barrel exterior is the same diameter, but the 45 is just wider on the inside. I don't know the correct terminology for the outside and the inside obviously, but you get the point. Seems like there could be an easy conversion there.

Anyone else have one?
Outside diameter of the barrel. Without being there I cantsay for sure. See if you can get a 45 mag for it. Aside from that you will need to change the barrel, recoil spring, and ejector. The 9mm uses a much longer ejector. As far as I know colt isn't using proprietary parts for the 9mm models but that could have changed over the years. If I was at home I could snap a pic of all the 9 and 45 parts I have for my Caspian build so far. Fitting the 45 mag would tell of the frame is the same. The slide sounds like it is from the increased thickness to make it the same od as its 45 caliber brothers.
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #21397
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Ok, finally some pics of a recent purchase a few weeks back:

As it came:

whats the orange plastic clip in the top of the case?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #21398
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Anyone on here do custom kydex?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #21399
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
Outside diameter of the barrel. Without being there I cantsay for sure. See if you can get a 45 mag for it. Aside from that you will need to change the barrel, recoil spring, and ejector. The 9mm uses a much longer ejector. As far as I know colt isn't using proprietary parts for the 9mm models but that could have changed over the years. If I was at home I could snap a pic of all the 9 and 45 parts I have for my Caspian build so far. Fitting the 45 mag would tell of the frame is the same. The slide sounds like it is from the increased thickness to make it the same od as its 45 caliber brothers.
You also have to change the slide and extractor.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #21400
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
If you can shoot a snubby .357 you should be able to handle a .45 that size.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #21401
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Anyone on here do custom kydex?
PM me.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #21402
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
I would NOT want to shoot something that size in 45ACP. I think the 9mm is just fine. I had a Kimber Ultra CDP in 40S&W and thought it would be fine since it was not 45ACP. It was a handfull. A Pachmyr grip made it manageable, but then bulked it up and made it less concealable.
Para Ordnance P12-45's are a hoot....
S.t.t.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #21403
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post

S.t.t.G. screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 01:37 PM
S.t.t.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #21404
davsato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.t.t.G. View Post

a liberator? thousands dropped all over occupied europe in the war, not the finest weapon ever but enough to wait outside the brothel and pop a nazi behind the ear, and take his pistol. (german soldiers always carried a sidearm while 'out on the town', for some reason they werent universally loved?)
single shot, and spare rounds stored loose in the grip, like you would ever get 2 shots off!
Old 10-30-2011, 09:39 AM   #21405
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsato View Post
whats the orange plastic clip in the top of the case?
ya stick it in the chamber in leiu of a cartridge to prove it isn't loaded for transport. It holds the bolt back a bit.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: