Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 728 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #21691
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
Hardcase, That is indeed a very nice 19. I am a fan of that particular size hand gun as it shoots both 38's and 357's rather comfortably as long as you have a set of pachmayr grips on it. The ring on the cylinder gives away the unfired aspect of it. If it were unfired there would be no drag ring from the cylinder lock spanning the circumference of the cylinder, especially in nickel finish.

Just as an FYI do not use Hoppes #9 solvent on it. It degrades nickel finishes. I learned that the hard way on an old model 70 government model I had.

I found that the 66 version is very capable of summer carry as long as it is tucked into the waistband just behind the kidney area even with the rubber grips. Let your shirt tail hang over it and it's like it is not even there. I carried one off duty like that in AZ for a long time. It is a bit heavy in a shoulder rig especially in a muzzle up elastic style holster. An airweight would do better there.
I agree that the 66 is probably a better choice for an everyday carry gun. I am really wishing I'd not sold the one I had, but plan to continue to keep my eyes peeled for a 2.5 or 3" 66 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And thanks for the tip on Hoppes #9, I do use that as a gun-cleaning solvent sometimes although tend to use either Break Free or Kroil for those purposes most of the time anymore. I just now realized that this is the first nickel gun I've ever owned.....

On the drag ring, S&W function tests guns that leave the assembly line, and also fires them. I don't think I've ever seen a Smith without at least a very faint ring on the cylinder, even brand new ones. But I am not necessarily believing this 19 is truly unfired, especially not in light of the scam with the box and that whole deal. To me it's a very nice 19, in "almost new" condition, and definitely a shooter.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #21692
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
The 6.8 would be a good one, but uses weird brass. Or I should say, proprietary brass. Not nearly as inexpensive as 223 brass. Especially since I get range brass for free in pretty much as large a quantity as I want to pick up. Other than that, it would be a better choice, really. Readily available uppers for reasonable money and factory ammoe. Decisions, decisions...
I'm with The Commander on this one. 300 AAC Blackout.You can trim 223 brass and form the cases from that.

http://300aacblackout.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_AAC...2%C3%9735mm%29
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #21693
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
These are too much fun to be safe queens. I've shown this 3" 65-5 here before, but we can never have too many pictures of S&W K frames...

Since you are looking for a new holster for your new 19 and many K frame holsters are designed to fit both 2.5 and 3", keep me apprised of your search as I am curious what you select and I am also looking for one more myself...
I bought a Black Hawk Inside the waist band for both a S&W 640 (snubbie) and a S&W 19-3 in 3" (both in .357) and they work well for the price.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #21694
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
The 6.8 would be a good one, but uses weird brass. Or I should say, proprietary brass. Not nearly as inexpensive as 223 brass. Especially since I get range brass for free in pretty much as large a quantity as I want to pick up. Other than that, it would be a better choice, really. Readily available uppers for reasonable money and factory ammoe. Decisions, decisions...

Although I am a "righty", I got a left handed Stag AR in 6.8 in case my right eye ever fails (BB gun injury); that's rational isn't it? Everyone needs a spare gun for their spare eye...

Shoots great, good knock down on whitetails, great ballistics with factory ammo.
Difficult to find "hunting" ammo so I guess I need to work on some hand loads.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #21695
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Just ordered my first AR today. Now comes "the wait".
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #21696
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gernick View Post
Just ordered my first AR today. Now comes "the wait".
What did you order?
Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #21697
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
A Rock River Arms midlength A4 with the stainless barrel and Wylde chamber. Also opted for the RRA gas block front flip sight. A2 furniture in OD green.

I've done a lot of studying over the past few weeks.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #21698
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I'm with The Commander on this one. 300 AAC Blackout.You can trim 223 brass and form the cases from that.

http://300aacblackout.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_AAC...2%C3%9735mm%29
Hmmm, I hadn't considered that one. Looks promising.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #21699
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
Taurus Revolvers.

Does anyone have a Taurus revolver? What's the quality like in general from Taurus and their revolvers specifically? I've had my eye on the .44 Mag tracker with a 4" barrel as a pack gun. We've been having more and more encounters here in Colorado with black bears to the point that I'm getting concerned. Colorado now has enough black bears that if you get a Elk tag you can pay an additional $45 and will automatically receive a black bear tag.

I've seen these revolvers at several gun shows recently and I like the way they feel in my hand. Unfortunately I've not been able to dry fire them because the shows required the gun to be disabled by binding the barrel in such a manner as the action can't be activated.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #21700
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Does anyone have a Taurus revolver? What's the quality like in general from Taurus and their revolvers specifically? I've had my eye on the .44 Mag tracker with a 4" barrel as a pack gun. We've been having more and more encounters here in Colorado with black bears to the point that I'm getting concerned. Colorado now has enough black bears that if you get a Elk tag you can pay an additional $45 and will automatically receive a black bear tag.

I've seen these revolvers at several gun shows recently and I like the way they feel in my hand. Unfortunately I've not been able to dry fire them because the shows required the gun to be disabled by binding the barrel in such a manner as the action can't be activated.
They had a bad rap for awhile, the only gun I've ever had to send back under warranty was a Taurus. I have heard they have gotten better, but I'm sure others here will chime in. Assuming quality has improved from 10 years ago, they seem like a pretty good deal to me.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #21701
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post

There are differing opinions but here's mine...

Wanted a .22 revolver for a while, found a Taurus 94 .22 revolver at a gun show. I bought it after checking the lockup on all cylinders etc. Took it to the range, and within the first cylinder it started binding up. I think the cylinder gap was too tight. Some people would just get a Dremel out, but I wasn't going to be bothered with that. I took it back to the seller and he gave me my money back. I won't buy another one...

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #21702
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,988
Taurii

As KSJEEPER and El Guero have both alluded, Taurii have a somewhat sketchy reputation, although what I've heard is that their newer stuff is improved. I've never personally owned one and have enough built-in bias that I doubt I ever will, but I've known a number of guys who have and claim to like them.

Where it comes to handguns I am a S&W fanatic since childhood. My first handgun at age 17 was a S&W Model 27, my dad shot S&Ws and thought they were the best, and it got ingrained into my psyche and remains there.....just as that ancient Model 27 is still with me! Having said that, Smiths are not perfect and I just sent a Performance Center gun back to them for warranty work, so just because you spend the extra $ to buy one does not gaurantee that there won't be problems. My recent experience was with a 2 year old gun. I will say, however, that S&Ws customer service and turn-around time on the repairs was excellent, and they even paid the shipping both ways. I recall reading somewhere that this is not always the case with Taurus.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #21703
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,172
My Taurus .357 manufactured in '98:

is a great gun. Fit and finish and reliability are excellent. While others have reported problems mine has been superb.
No regrets whatsoever.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #21704
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
The only Taurus thats ever worth a penny, in my experience, has been the judge

sent from my Droid
Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #21705
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Havent owned one, but I've heard both ways.

An acquaintance of mine has had quite a few of them and stands by them as a quality company, more so recently of course.

I still read about hit or miss, but it's getting harder to find poor review within the last couple of years.

I'd be willing to give them a shot, not like I couldn't get my money back. I'd hate to miss out on a potentially great firearm because of fear of the chance of a hassle.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: