ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 713 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 AM   #21706
The_Commander
The Man.
 
The_Commander's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Cumberland Mountains
Oddometer: 6,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Does anyone have a Taurus revolver? What's the quality like in general from Taurus and their revolvers specifically? I've had my eye on the .44 Mag tracker with a 4" barrel as a pack gun. We've been having more and more encounters here in Colorado with black bears to the point that I'm getting concerned. Colorado now has enough black bears that if you get a Elk tag you can pay an additional $45 and will automatically receive a black bear tag.

I've seen these revolvers at several gun shows recently and I like the way they feel in my hand. Unfortunately I've not been able to dry fire them because the shows required the gun to be disabled by binding the barrel in such a manner as the action can't be activated.
If you're using it for actual protection I would pass and look for a Ruger or S&W.

Taurus revolvers (hell, their entire line of firearms) are too hit and miss QC wise. We sent an average of two per week back to them for warranty work.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #21707
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
The only Taurus thats ever worth a penny, in my experience, has been the judge

sent from my Droid
I've been seeing a lot of studies recently that show most of the shot shells (even the ones specifically designed for it) have very poor penetration even at close range. I wouldn't stand in from of it, but I wouldn't trust it for much more than a gut gun.

Seems the only reliably effective round it shoots is .45 colt.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #21708
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy
 
Tellydoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: channeling my inner manatee
Oddometer: 6,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
Does anyone have a Taurus revolver? What's the quality like in general from Taurus and their revolvers specifically? I've had my eye on the .44 Mag tracker with a 4" barrel as a pack gun. We've been having more and more encounters here in Colorado with black bears to the point that I'm getting concerned. Colorado now has enough black bears that if you get a Elk tag you can pay an additional $45 and will automatically receive a black bear tag.

I've seen these revolvers at several gun shows recently and I like the way they feel in my hand. Unfortunately I've not been able to dry fire them because the shows required the gun to be disabled by binding the barrel in such a manner as the action can't be activated.

I have one that my ex wife bought me for a present; it is a .22 Hornet (Raging Hornet). I have a scope on it and have never been able to find a load that it likes. The targets look like you took a shotgun to them.

To paraphrase The Man, the only interesting gun is an accurate gun.
__________________
"The Dalai Llama said that on my death bed I would receive total consciousness. So I've got that going for me, which is nice." Carl Spackler

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
_____________________________
Tellydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 AM   #21709
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!
 
Fe Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Moran Nation, N. Atlanta Outpost
Oddometer: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Hmmm, I hadn't considered that one. Looks promising.
Damn, a new upper to acquire!
__________________
2006 Tiger
2008 KLR (hers)
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #21710
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kitsap
Oddometer: 949
I have a Taurus Tracker 22 and a Model 85 snub in my collection. Now I love my Ruger's and Smith's but the Tracker has had the heck shot out of it. So far it's been good. The 85 snub is from the early 90's. It doesn't have a high round count but it's travelled thousands of miles. It's been in tank bags, panniers, packs, glove boxes, floors, tool boxes, and other seedy places. That's the nice thing about the Taurus, I treat it...well differently than I would my other so called "better" revolvers. So I'm glad I own it and it's been a good value.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:34 AM   #21711
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
If you're using it for actual protection I would pass and look for a Ruger or S&W.

Taurus revolvers (hell, their entire line of firearms) are too hit and miss QC wise. We sent an average of two per week back to them for warranty work.
I was afraid that might be the common theme here. Of course, money wise I was hoping for a different outcome since S&W revolvers are pricy little buggers. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a used .44 at a decent price.
McNeal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #21712
pilot
Slacker Moderator
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 31,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Man View Post
Damn, a new upper to acquire!
I have a stripped upper just sitting here.
__________________
The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #21713
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Weldman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 1,161
I just gotta disagree here. My Taurus has beeen every

bit as reliable as my Rugers. I carry thr Taurus for self-defense without any second thoughts whatsoever. It's a well-built gun. I think it's all too easy for naysayers to jump on a bandwagon of crap to reinforce negative perceptions of a brand. i don't much care though; if it drives the prices of used Taurus's down then I'll buy more .

QU
OTE=McNeal;17281889]I was afraid that might be the common theme here. Of course, money wise I was hoping for a different outcome since S&W revolvers are pricy little buggers. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a used .44 at a decent price.[/QUOTE]
__________________
Nawfick, Virginny
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:15 AM   #21714
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldman View Post
bit as reliable as my Rugers. I carry thr Taurus for self-defense without any second thoughts whatsoever. It's a well-built gun. I think it's all too easy for naysayers to jump on a bandwagon of crap to reinforce negative perceptions of a brand. i don't much care though; if it drives the prices of used Taurus's down then I'll buy more .

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I was afraid that might be the common theme here. Of course, money wise I was hoping for a different outcome since S&W revolvers are pricy little buggers. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a used .44 at a decent price.
Just voicing my experiences. I have not handled their 1911, but the three other semi's have all had feeding issues with multiple magazines.
Ymmv, etc

sent from my Droid
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #21715
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell
Oddometer: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by vspeed View Post
Cool gun rack by the way.
Thanks, I made that out of my Dad's spurs...
__________________
'09 450 EXC Nani Roma Limited/'08 R1200R-Gone to the Hipsters/'02 Dirty lil KTM400EXC-gone to a good home/'10 WR290X/R buhbye!
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #21716
Weldman
Beastly Adventurer
 
Weldman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 1,161
We're discussing revolvers, not semi-autos ...

but thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
Just voicing my experiences. I have not handled their 1911, but the three other semi's have all had feeding issues with multiple magazines.
Ymmv, etc

sent from my Droid
__________________
Nawfick, Virginny
Weldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #21717
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!
 
Fe Man's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Moran Nation, N. Atlanta Outpost
Oddometer: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I have a stripped upper just sitting here.
I wish!

Fe Woman has me on a short leash since she lost her job.
__________________
2006 Tiger
2008 KLR (hers)
Fe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #21718
clevishook
stevedore
 
clevishook's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Oddometer: 1,533
How do you all arrange your fire arms purchases?
I have a couple .357 revolvers and a couple .22's, one 9mm Glock, Rem. 870 12 ga. and a Winchester 30-30 circa 1978.
I'm interested in consolidating to limit the ammo needed. How does one choose?
The .22's must stay and so must the .357's also the 870 and the 30-30.
Should I sell the Glock to buy a Marlin lever action carbine in .357?
That would mean .22, .357 / .38, 12Ga. shot gun and 30-30 as my ammo needs.
What does the collective say?
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #21719
El Guero
V4 Whore
 
El Guero's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Iowa City, IA
Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevishook View Post
How do you all arrange your fire arms purchases?
I have a couple .357 revolvers and a couple .22's, one 9mm Glock, Rem. 870 12 ga. and a Winchester 30-30 circa 1978.
I'm interested in consolidating to limit the ammo needed. How does one choose?
The .22's must stay and so must the .357's also the 870 and the 30-30.
Should I sell the Glock to buy a Marlin lever action carbine in .357?
That would mean .22, .357 / .38, 12Ga. shot gun and 30-30 as my ammo needs.
What does the collective say?
I dunno what you do with that 30-30 but I'd be more inclined to say you could sell the Winchester and get a .357 carbine instead. 357 in a rifle is pretty close to 30-30 these days...
__________________

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #21720
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I dunno what you do with that 30-30 but I'd be more inclined to say you could sell the Winchester and get a .357 carbine instead. 357 in a rifle is pretty close to 30-30 these days...
+1

I say get rid of the 30-30 and one of the .357s and get a .357 lever action.
__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014