Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 656 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #22381
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Look at the bottom of the frame on my Kimber Tac Cus II, that is a MagWell. It flares the bottom of the mag entry point to aid in faster easier mag changes. Plus, I think it makes the gun look cooler.

Oh, I thought magwell was just a general term that meant the place on an action where a magazine slid into.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #22382
Remy
Woe is uh a me bop!

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Oh, I thought magwell was just a general term that meant the place on an action where a magazine slid into.

I thought it was a container for chrome rims.
Remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #22383
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Technically it is an extended magwell, but everyone calls them just a Magwell.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #22384
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Technically it is an extended magwell, but everyone calls them just a Magwell.
Ah.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #22385
Toadady
Push'n parts

Oddometer: 3,665
i just couldn't leave it alone,

Old 12-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #22386
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:
Persoanlly I can't stand NOT having a magwell on all my 1911's. Wondering what you guys think and have. I'll bet many don't have them and have never tried them.
S&A 1 piece on a couple of mine. Went through a period where I felt they were necessary on my EDC. A few years ago I stopped having them fit since they tend to not only print, but they're also sort of a pain in the ass. Also, I don't really like the extra weight.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #22387
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander View Post
S&A 1 piece on a couple of mine. Went through a period where I felt they were necessary on my EDC. A few years ago I stopped having them fit since they tend to not only print, but they're also sort of a pain in the ass. Also, I don't really like the extra weight.
I like a little extra weight on my 1911s plus the extra ease of mag changes. I don't even have a print problem since I wear my CCW 1911 like I do.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:28 PM   #22388
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Springfield Armory National Match M1A

Took my new M1A out to shoot today with 20 rounds of some old 173 grain M118 ammo
Put a piece of paper up at 50 yds, dialed in 4 clicks of elevation and left it on MZ (mechanical zero) and fired my first two rounds through this gun. The two rounds overlapped each other. Made me a happy camper.
Moved the target out to 100 and shot 8 rounds and all were good hits. shot the last 10 shots at an 8 x 8 steel plate. Yeah, Its gonna shoot just fine.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #22389
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
Took my new M1A out to shoot today with 20 rounds of some old 173 grain M118 ammo
Put a piece of paper up at 50 yds, dialed in 4 clicks of elevation and left it on MZ (mechanical zero) and fired my first two rounds through this gun. The two rounds overlapped each other. Made me a happy camper.
Moved the target out to 100 and shot 8 rounds and all were good hits. shot the last 10 shots at an 8 x 8 steel plate. Yeah, Its gonna shoot just fine.
Pics!!!!

Old 12-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #22390
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Persoanlly I can't stand NOT having a magwell on all my 1911's. Wondering what you guys think and have. I'll bet many don't have them and have never tried them.
Nope.

Although I have never owned a 1911 with a magwell so I am basing my opinion on a concept only (longer grip = harder to conceal)

I did see one recently that was basically a magwell, but not an add on more of a subtraction: All of the 'funnel' was inside of the grip.

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #22391
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,850
Quote:
I have both, with and without. I wasn't such a speed-demon when I shot IPSC that it made a huge amount of difference, but especially in the double-stack gun (STI Edge 40) I liked having one.....which is a beast made out of tungsten and adds 12 or 13 oz. to the butt-end of the gun.

In IDPA I shot a Kimber 45 in a Commander-sized configuration for a while, and then switched over to revolvers in that game. The Kimber didn't have a mag-well. I didn't notice that not having one made a lot of difference for some reason. I probably won't put them on future 1911s when/if I buy another one at some point.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #22392
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast1320 View Post
I just held and stroked a new M1A at the Gunsmoke Gun shop in Wheatridge CO today (where the Discovery program 'American Guns' is filmed). It is on the short list of guns I would like to have in the future (next couple of years?). Probably it is behind a Uberti Hi Wall in 45-60 or 45-70, but I was really impressed with the feel of it. Sounds like it is a good shooter. Let us know when you put some more ammo through it.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #22393
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
I just held and stroked a new M1A at the Gunsmoke Gun shop in Wheatridge CO today (where the Discovery program 'American Guns' is filmed). It is on the short list of guns I would like to have in the future (next couple of years?). Probably it is behind a Uberti Hi Wall in 45-60 or 45-70, but I was really impressed with the feel of it. Sounds like it is a good shooter. Let us know when you put some more ammo through it.
doG how I hate that show...I think I survived about 1.5 shows...and the only reason I lasted that long is the girls are easy on the eyes.

WTF happened to the discovery channel...it is the reality channel now.

Best gun show on TV is the Gun Stories.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 AM   #22394
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
doG how I hate that show...I think I survived about 1.5 shows...and the only reason I lasted that long is the girls are easy on the eyes.

WTF happened to the discovery channel...it is the reality channel now.

Best gun show on TV is the Gun Stories.
I feel the same way about the History Channel. It used to have good stuff which was about history! Now it's loaded up with shit like Ice Road Truckers and American Pickers. What does that have to do with history??

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #22395
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

I like tales of the gun, some times fat conehead guy gets on my nerves though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: