Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 854 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #22471
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I remember that movie, it was gawdawful! I also remember the 70s, I was in my 20s during that decade and some of the poontang was sweet, albeit hairy.

Its a garden baby let it grow.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #22472
Nosmo_King
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I was geocaching S.W of Tucson Sunday in an area that was used for bombing practice in WWII, when I stumbled across this round. It was half buried, and looks to have been there a long time. The bullet is copper, the round is heavy but makes no noise when shaken. There is an odd weld like mark at the top of the casing near the bullet. Any ideas if this mark makes this a dummy round? I decided not to use a center punch on the primer to find out.

Nosmo_King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #22473
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo_King View Post
I was geocaching S.W of Tucson Sunday in an area that was used for bombing practice in WWII, when I stumbled across this round. It was half buried, and looks to have been there a long time. The bullet is copper, the round is heavy but makes no noise when shaken. There is an odd weld like mark at the top of the casing near the bullet. Any ideas if this mark makes this a dummy round? I decided not to use a center punch on the primer to find out.

Without anything to use for scale, looks like a 50cal round to me. I've shot 10's of 1000's of rounds out of the M2, and haven't seen anything like that seam at the neck. Modern dummy rounds look just like a normal round but with an inset primer, but don't know what they might have looked like back then.
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #22474
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosmo_King View Post

Your pics need better light. But from what I can see it's a .50 cal round made by Milwaukee Ordinance Plant in 1943. It has a 43B headstamp. It looks like it's M33 Ball Ammo. Can't really tell if there is a primer on there, doesn't look like it though. Probably best to find something with a bullet puller. Not sure about the 'weld'. Would be strange to weld anything to the neck of the bullet. it's a good way to gouge the throat and get a bullet stuck in the barrel. powder could be a solid clump from water seeping in.

The primer should look like this:
Old 12-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #22475
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,102
This goofy question might fit in this thread...

In '93 or so a friend talked me into buying a Bushmaster AR15 kit and assembling it. It was a great, no frills rifle.

Flash forward (feeling kind of old here) eighteen years. After a long family-related hiatus from guns, I have dived back into it... My no frills carbine (It has a carry handle. How embarassing is that?) with a 1/9 barrel is like a Model T! Plus the once renowned Bushmaster name has become known for garbage /budget guns.

Here are some options I would appreciate input on:

1. Sell it (I think a pre-ban is worth around six or seven hundred) and buy a Spikes or PSA 14 inch with a pinned flashhider, flat top and mid length gas system.

2. Just get a new upper like what I described above and live with a mismatched rifle. Bushmaster and.,.

3. Forget the new stuff and enjoy my classic rifle. The new ones will always be available.

Thanks for your input. I can't promise I'll follow it but I hope to find something insightful.

Redne
Old 12-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #22476
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redne Dab View Post

In '93 or so a friend talked me into buying a Bushmaster AR15 kit and assembling it. It was a great, no frills rifle.

Flash forward (feeling kind of old here) eighteen years. After a long family-related hiatus from guns, I have dived back into it... My no frills carbine (It has a carry handle. How embarassing is that?) with a 1/9 barrel is like a Model T! Plus the once renowned Bushmaster name has become known for garbage /budget guns.

1. Sell it (I think a pre-ban is worth around six or seven hundred) and buy a Spikes or PSA 14 inch with a pinned flashhider, flat top and mid length gas system.

2. Just get a new upper like what I described above and live with a mismatched rifle. Bushmaster and.,.

3. Forget the new stuff and enjoy my classic rifle. The new ones will always be available.

Thanks for your input. I can't promise I'll follow it but I hope to find something insightful.

Redne
Spikes makes nice guns, no doubt about that... Your lower doesnt have too much to do with the overall performance of the rifle. Provided it is a tight fit to the new upper, and it has a decent trigger in it. Its more affordable to go that route, and less paperwork. Plus you can always swap back to your old upper if you want that "vintage" feel. And then later on, you could build a new lower, and then have 2 guns!!! Its an easy way to trick the wife!! It also may be handy to hang on to that pre ban lower as well.

Ryan
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #22477
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
Spikes makes nice guns, no doubt about that... Your lower doesnt have too much to do with the overall performance of the rifle. Provided it is a tight fit to the new upper, and it has a decent trigger in it. Its more affordable to go that route, and less paperwork. Plus you can always swap back to your old upper if you want that "vintage" feel. And then later on, you could build a new lower, and then have 2 guns!!! Its an easy way to trick the wife!! It also may be handy to hang on to that pre ban lower as well.

Ryan
I agree. There's nothing wrong with old Bushmaster. And I'd also point out that there is absolutely no interrelationship between a tight upper and lower and accuracy on an AR. None. It can be so loose a goose could fly through there and still shoot if the trigger is decent. Only thing that needs to be done to make an accurate AR is float a good barrel and have a decent trigger, period, end-of-story. All else is window-dressing.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:17 AM   #22478
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,265
Nothing wrong with carry handles, either.

Well, scope mounting is a bit of a cludge, but can be done. I vote keep it. If you want a flat top, get a complete upper. You can even change calibers while you're at it.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #22479
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
You don't even need a complete upper. Just replace the receiver for $100 and you are good to go.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/989...sting-_-989015

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #22480
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,102
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I hadn't thought of just changing the upper receiver or the potential benefit of having a pre-ban.

I'll post pics when I decide.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #22481
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
And I'd also point out that there is absolutely no interrelationship between a tight upper and lower and accuracy on an AR. None.
Well, there is some. If the upper and lower aren't consistently aligned, since your cheekweld is on the lower and your sight picture is through the upper, accuracy can suffer. Which is why Service Rifle shooters use Accuwedges, the JP threaded takedown pins, or something to hold the two halves in consistent alignment.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #22482
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 6,130
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I hadn't thought of just changing the upper receiver or the potential benefit of having a pre-ban.

I'll post pics when I decide.
The benefits of having a "pre-ban" rifle went out the window in September of 2004, unless you live in one of those God forsaken areas that still denies their citizens the option of being free.

Keep your Bushy, anything you might replace it with is most likely from the same exact forge. If you want a flat-top then scoot over to Core 15 and pick up one of theirs for low dough.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #22483
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Well, there is some. If the upper and lower aren't consistently aligned, since your cheekweld is on the lower and your sight picture is through the upper, accuracy can suffer. Which is why Service Rifle shooters use Accuwedges, the JP threaded takedown pins, or something to hold the two halves in consistent alignment.

1911fan
Okay, I see your point, but as a practical matter the amount of play between a fairly loose upper/lower as it might remotely affect cheek-weld would be about 1/4 of a millimeter! I think that guys use Accuwedges and JP takedown pins to make themselves feel better, if the gun feels solid rather than rattles a little it makes them think it might shoot better. I don't believe those things make a whit of difference, except that they make money for Accuwedge and John Paul.

Having said that, I have a JP takedown pin on one of my ARs!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #22484
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,150
Quote:

Redne
Is there anything wrong with it? If not then I'd keep it. A carry handle upper isn't really an issue and are coming back.. If you don't like the A2 stock you can replace it. The only other thing is the lack of a muzzle device. You'd have to get the barrel threaded or replaced if you wanted one. Otherwise, just leave it. You can always buy an additional complete upper or just a barrel and upper receiver, if you want to invest in all the tools. I'd consider buying a complete upper though. http://palmettostatearmory.com/ does have some good deals. But I'd check LMT and BCM as well.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 AM   #22485
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,140
By the way, I caught the newest episode of 'American Guns' last night (after visiting their shop last week). The part about building a Yellow Boy was pretty interesting but the bimbos shooting with the local firemen was really dumb. I guess I have to visit the shop again and give the guys some advice on how to make the show better for an intellectual audience like us guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: