Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 717 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #23071
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
There's some folks I think I can talk to for that around here.

It the club joining and all that needed. Not a big deal, but could drive up the overall price of attaining one of the CMP rifles to point where it's not mug cheaper. But I guess for that price I'd get a lot of opportunities instead of just a rifle.
If you're a regular at a range, the RO can usually sign off on that requirement.

Actually, if you find a CMP approved club, they can usually cover the shooting as well as the affiliated club requirement in one go. That's what I ended up doing. You can also fill the affiliated Club requirement by joining http://www.thegca.org/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I did not mean to say that you ride the bolt home but that you give it a bit of a shove to ensure that it is seated. Even a strong op rod spring won't always cleanly strip the first round out of a clip.
I've been lucky that my Garand never had that problem. All of my En-bloc's were given to me from other shooters. The community is really friendly. I've detailed stripped it and put it back together once as well. I just wish 30.06 was cheaper to shoot. Sadly, I haven't had mine out in a few years now. I've thought about converting mine to 308 since I don't shoot in HP anymore. Mine's a 3/45 with what I think is a matching barrel.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #23072
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
[QUOTE=EvilGenius;17671078]In some cases that thought pattern is accurate. I bet it's more rare in reality, but there are some officers who either live near or in the cities they work in or do a specific job that also leaves them at risk off duty.

Unfortunately it seems in a lot of places nowadays being a cop makes you a target as much or more than a deterrent on or off duty.

Also, those Draco pistols (or similar) are super cheap and can be hidden (and are legal to carry hidden in a vehicle in Texas). That'd make me nervous as hell as an officer living in a high crime/gang area.[/QUO
Old 01-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #23073
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
If you're a regular at a range, the RO can usually sign off on that requirement.

Actually, if you find a CMP approved club, they can usually cover the shooting as well as the affiliated club requirement in one go. That's what I ended up doing. You can also fill the affiliated Club requirement by joining http://www.thegca.org/.

I've been lucky that my Garand never had that problem. All of my En-bloc's were given to me from other shooters. The community is really friendly. I've detailed stripped it and put it back together once as well. I just wish 30.06 was cheaper to shoot. Sadly, I haven't had mine out in a few years now. I've thought about converting mine to 308 since I don't shoot in HP anymore. Mine's a 3/45 with what I think is a matching barrel.
I know some LE folks so I think the shooting and sign off should be a breeze, I guess it's the club I'm more focused on.

Supposedly a TSRA membership will cover the group part and it's definitely the kind of thing I'd like to get behind, kinda pricey unless you get just the 1 year membership.

Think I'll attend the mesquite event though.

On, the .308 conversion, do you need anything other than a barrel, or do the action and en bloc needs to be changed too?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother

EvilGenius screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 12:49 PM
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #23074
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,924
Quote:
In some cases that thought pattern is accurate. I bet it's more rare in reality, but there are some officers who either live near or in the cities they work in or do a specific job that also leaves them at risk off duty.

Unfortunately it seems in a lot of places nowadays being a cop makes you a target as much or more than a deterrent on or off duty.

Also, those Draco pistols (or similar) are super cheap and can be hidden (and are legal to carry hidden in a vehicle in Texas). That'd make me nervous as hell as an officer living in a high crime/gang area.

Because criminals go to the gun store and shop prices? Wrong, legal gun owners shop for prices.

Is the draco ak pistol any more dangerous that any other gun? No.

I doubt they even achieve a velocity that is normal for an AK with that short barrel, much less the accuracy

It it a fun gun to shoot, especially with a 75 round drum :)
Old 01-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #23075
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
Because criminals go to the gun store and shop prices? Wrong, legal gun owners shop for prices.

Is the draco ak pistol any more dangerous that any other gun? No.

I doubt they even achieve a velocity that is normal for an AK with that short barrel, much less the accuracy

It it a fun gun to shoot, especially with a 75 round drum :)
Im aware that 90% of criminals don't legally acquire their guns, or atleast don't purchase through a licensed dealer.

I do think though that the cheaper the list price is for a particular gun will increase the probability to find it in shady hands.

And no, I think the dracos muzzle velocity is down around the 1800fps mark (I think the minis still achieve 1600-1700fps). That's still a hell of a lot more powerful than most hand gun cartridges. The accuracy is still decent out to 75yds or so, but that's assuming skills are used. Yet again, most gang style shootings are much much closer than that.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #23076
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,497
Sexiest gun ever:

Nemesis Arms Vanquish.
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #23077
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy299 View Post
Sexiest gun ever:

Nemesis Arms Vanquish.
nah, Erma SR100....wanna buy one?
Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #23078
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
I know some LE folks so I think the shooting and sign off should be a breeze, I guess it's the club I'm more focused on.

Supposedly a TSRA membership will cover the group part and it's definitely the kind of thing I'd like to get behind, kinda pricey unless you get just the 1 year membership.

Think I'll attend the mesquite event though.

On, the .308 conversion, do you need anything other than a barrel, or do the action and en bloc needs to be changed too?
Well the GCA membership is only $25 and you get a magazine subscription. I think most club memberships are around the same amount, $25.

To convert a Grand to 308, all you need is a barrel and have it reamed to match your bolt. At one time SA was doing them for under $200 with the barrel. I don't think they do it anymore since they have stopped selling the Garand. There are reputable Garand gunsmiths or even Garand Collectors who have the tools and could do it as well.

You can get a filler piece for the magazine which prevents you from installing an en-bloc with 30.06 but it's not necessary.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #23079
Pete™
Published.

Oddometer: 9,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post
While we're on the topic of pistol caliber carbines, one that I'd love to have is an IWA/Feather in 10mm:

In the past, I got to try one out in 9mm, and it was a ton o' fun! It's a simple and strait forward blow-back design and is kind of like a STEN of sorts with the tubular receiver, but built much better. I hadn't looked at these in a long time, and when I looked them up the other day, I was happy to discover that they've made some improvements over the older models and that they're now offered in a wide range of calibers (.22LR, 9mm, .357 SIG,.40S&W, 10mm Auto, .45ACP and .460 Rowland). The .22LR version uses AR-7 magazines, the 9mm uses slightly modified UZI magazines and the rest use standard GLOCK magazines, which is pretty cool. They also have a ton of options and accessories/parts are reasonably priced. The gun itself starts at about $750 for the center-fire models, which is by no means inexpensive, but what can ya do?

Sure, having one in 10mm auto probably doesn't make the most sense, but man 'o man, with a 29 round magazine stocked with these bad-boys, those evil, evil water-filled pop cans I dislike so much wouldn't stand a chance!

My wallet wouldn't stand a chance either with the price of 10mm ammo

Who makes that?
Pete™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #23080
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete™ View Post
Who makes that?
http://www.guns-rifles-firearms.com/
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #23081
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Here are a couple places to get a 308 barrel.
Here's a link to a 308 build so you can see how it's done: http://www.usacarry.com/forums/long-...and-build.html
Old 01-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #23082
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
I'll apologize to any LEOs I may have offended. However, I will say that on the internet it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between this guy:

and these guys:

No worries. It is hard to tell the difference between people who race motorcycles in the Dakar Rally, Baja 1000 or the Taupo 1000 and the rest of those guys who just buy and ride motorcycles.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #23083
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post
Considered the Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9MM? can get it configured to use one of several different brand mags, which means 33 rd glocks work great!
Plus it folds up for easy carry.

Wish that was made in 10mm....
S.t.t.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #23084
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Quote:
There was a device called a "Navy Sleeve" that was developed by the USN to convert the M1 from 30-06 to 308. It was a simple sleeve that you fit into the chamber to shorten it. The drawback was that occasionally the sleeve would come out with the fired case.

Anyway, all you had to do to convert was to install the sleeve, and maybe open up the gas port a bit, and you would be good to go.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #23085
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
There was a device called a "Navy Sleeve" that was developed by the USN to convert the M1 from 30-06 to 308. It was a simple sleeve that you fit into the chamber to shorten it. The drawback was that occasionally the sleeve would come out with the fired case.

Anyway, all you had to do to convert was to install the sleeve, and maybe open up the gas port a bit, and you would be good to go.
Sounds like a real good way to get 'out of battery' explosions.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: