Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 592 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #2296
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase
Exactly. That is why we should be endeavoring to repeal many of the gun laws already on the books, to hell with this "we need to enforce already existing laws"!
Lets start with machine guns. Last week a friend showed me videos of the machine gun matches he takes part in. Now I want one.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #2297
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Oddometer: 16,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius
Lets start with machine guns. Last week a friend showed me videos of the machine gun matches he takes part in. Now I want one.
I had a 1919a4 and a M16 for a little while before the ban on further civilian manufacture. The M16 lower cost me $50 + transfer tax($200). I got "ripped off" on the 1919 by paying something like $700. I sold them before I went to work in Alaska and lost money. Never had enough money to shoot them when I had them.

Lying prone and firing a belt feed 308 or 30-06 on a tripod is pretty excellent. The ground shakes like a jack hammer is pounding. A 50 BMG makes you head feel like it is going to explode and pounds pebbles into your elbows
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
UPSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #2298
FXRocket
Phoneticide Squad

Oddometer: 5,315
Everyone should turn in every single gun in the USA, I will go last....
Old 04-09-2009, 01:49 PM   #2299
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
I'm sure that's the intent, but then why can't they just say that in place of the ambiguously worded question? It almost looks as if the wording has been made deliberately vague to ensnare the unwary.
I feel it was. As wer a few of the other questions. I also think a person who can legally own a firearm and can pass the check should be able to go to any state and buy what they want.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #2300
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,579
OK, now I am befuddled. Can I say befuddled here?

I was in Texas a couple of weeks ago and stopped in Dick's Sporting Goods. They had a nice Henry Golden Boy .22LR that I have been looking for with an attractive price . He said he could not sell it to me since I live in TN. Not a big deal though, he said the price is the same at all their stores so I could just pick one up in Nashville.
Well, the price was not the same, but the Nashville store discounted it to me at the price the Dallas store quoted. All worked out well, but my intention was to give this to my dad as a gift. So the kicker is - he lives in Michigan. Can I give it to him or not?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #2301
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SScratch

I was in Texas a couple of weeks ago and stopped in Dick's Sporting Goods. They had a nice Henry Golden Boy .22LR that I have been looking for with an attractive price . He said he could not sell it to me since I live in TN. Not a big deal though, he said the price is the same at all their stores so I could just pick one up in Nashville.
Well, the price was not the same, but the Nashville store discounted it to me at the price the Dallas store quoted. All worked out well, but my intention was to give this to my dad as a gift. So the kicker is - he lives in Michigan. Can I give it to him or not?
Texas doesn't prohibit the sale. I don't think TN does. The feds don't so the guy in the store was an idiot.

You would break the law giving it to your dad so just leave it at his house

I highly doubt they would arrest you for that.
"There was a lot of talk last year about how Barack Obama would be a “transformational” president — but true transformation, it turns out, requires a lot more than electing one telegenic leader." -Paul Krugman 8/30/09
Old 04-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #2302
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,706
Quote:
I might know someone who can help you scratch that itch in a quick fashion.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #2303
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
How about a private sale from someone in another state?

i.e., Buys a revolver, has it for a year (or whatever) decides to sell it and the buyer is from another state.

totally legal if party one sends the gun to party two's FFL dealer. I have done it a few times. it is pretty darn seamless.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #2304
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:

Sell it to him for a dollar, and pay a gun shop in his town 35 bucks to receive it and send it thru UPS.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #2305
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Sell it to him for a dollar, and pay a gun shop in his town 35 bucks to receive it and send it thru UPS.
Now that's news I can use. But let me throw another wrench in the works. I want to have this engraved and give it to him when I take him 4-wheeling in Colorado this summer. Be sure to wave if you see a black XTerra in the mountains during Westfest.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #2306
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Commander
Must go through an FFL in the buyers state.
federal law or State?

what if I'm visiting my dad in Oregon and he wants to buy my gun from me?

i'm not a "dealer" or collector. just an enthusiast.

I read the regs as state state variations in the law.

http://www.lcav.org/content/private_sales.pdf

do you have the fed/ state penal code that states as such?
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:53 PM   #2307
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagwood
federal law or State?

what if I'm visiting my dad in Oregon and he wants to buy my gun from me?

i'm not a "dealer" or collector. just an enthusiast.

I read the regs as state state variations in the law.

http://www.lcav.org/content/private_sales.pdf

do you have the fed/ state penal code that states as such?
Federal law
Old 04-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #2308
UPSam
All jacked up on Dew

Quote:
Now that's news I can use. But let me throw another wrench in the works. I want to have this engraved and give it to him when I take him 4-wheeling in Colorado this summer. Be sure to wave if you see a black XTerra in the mountains during Westfest.
You can hand or ship it to FFL in CO. You could ship it to a gunsmith in CO and then go with you dad to pick it up. What the feds want is an FFl to log a gun in and out, and fill a 4473 on the person receiving the firearm from you if transfers between residents of different states. Walk into a gunshow with your dad and take bids on who will do it the cheapest?

Honestly they will think you are nuts as really nobody does this with relatives but it is the law.

One feature of the Firearms protection act of 1986(?) is your dad could receive the gun across state lines as a bequest from your estate. You could fake your death
Old 04-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #2309
dagwood
Banned

Oddometer: 35,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSam
Federal law
found it.
dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #2310
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPSam
One feature of the Firearms protection act of 1986(?) is your dad could receive the gun across state lines as a bequest from your estate. You could fake your death
I've been doing that at rallies for years.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: