Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 619 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #23206
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Can you get Remington UMC ammunition? 9mm here is like $60/250 rounds. The .38 Special is like $75/250, I bought one box 4 or 5 months ago and have been using that brass ever since
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwadej View Post
Cheaper than dirt carries a few brands of brass cased cheaper than that.
BVAC, once used brass, bulk reloads, 10.49 /50 rds. $173/1000 rds. good for plinking and range stuff. Then of course there's the market hall gun show next weekend.....
Goddamn, you guys are lucky. The cheapest brass case I've found around here is Monarch from Academy at around $16 and it's usually sold out. Rem UMC is usually $20-$23.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #23207
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I can get steel cases for about $12-$14, but some guns are super picky about it.

I've been getting the steel cased crap, shoots fine in all my guns, and getting it for about $9
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #23208
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,597
Dick's sale price on Remington UMC 9mm is $11.98/box, regular price is $14.99/box. I believe you must buy a case, however, for that price.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #23209
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
I have issues with confidence in my decision making.

Also, I have ADD.
Dude, if you already know what you want then just go ahead and buy it.

You will never be happy settling for something else. You will only waste money by buying something else, and then later going out buying what you originally wanted anyway!
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #23210
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
ammo

Midway USA has Lake City 5.56, 62 gr for 6.99 a box 20, 169.99 for a box of 500.
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #23211
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
I can get steel cases for about $12-$14, but some guns are super picky about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
Can you get Remington UMC ammunition? 9mm here is like $60/250 rounds. The .38 Special is like $75/250, I bought one box 4 or 5 months ago and have been using that brass ever since
You guys need to check out sgammo.com

$10 bucks for 50 rounds of Federal American Eagle/Speer Lawman

$64 for 250 rounds of Remington .38

I usually have my shipping notice within a half hour of placing my order...

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #23212
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
[QUOTE=RogueClimber;17695326]You guys need to check out sgammo.com
[QUOTE]

thanks for the link...always good to have some resources.
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #23213
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,597
+1 for SGAmmo. Reasonable prices and reasonable shipping, too. Just received some 7.62x54 and some 8mm.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #23214
NDEBT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,100
It is time for a youth gun

Tell me about the good ones. My son has been shooting since he was old enough to pull a trigger but he has never had "his" gun. I want to buy him one that fits.He shoots my guns with the stock under his arm. I've looked at the criket and don't like it. There is a Mossberg that looked good. It had a fake mag that you could replace with a real one I kinda liked that idea.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain
NDEBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #23215
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post
Tell me about the good ones. My son has been shooting since he was old enough to pull a trigger but he has never had "his" gun. I want to buy him one that fits.He shoots my guns with the stock under his arm. I've looked at the criket and don't like it. There is a Mossberg that looked good. It had a fake mag that you could replace with a real one I kinda liked that idea.
Anything single shot, bolt action or lever action with iron sights. That way he can really learn the basics. A semi with a scope will teach bad habits early, IMHO.

I bought my oldest an Anschutz 22LR which was completely wasted on him as he has no interest in shooting. Maybe I will have a grandson someday who will appreciate it. My youngest I got a Rossi .22LR/.410 combo. It was too hard for him to open and lock the breach when he was small so he got frustrated with it. But when I put the .410 barrel on it he really grinned. He loved the visceral feedback from the boom of the 410. Much more satisfying than the plink of the 22LR.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #23216
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
At the last gun show I bought about five different types of 9MM FMJ ammo, all name brand (PMC, Federal, etc.) for $12 or less per 50 per box (not case lots). Now I will take them out and try them at the range and the ones that work the best I will buy a case of 500 for practice ammo.

It isn't hard to get at those prices.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #23217
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
I bought my oldest an Anschutz 22LR which was completely wasted on him as he has no interest in shooting. Maybe I will have a grandson someday who will appreciate it. My youngest I got a Rossi .22LR/.410 combo. It was too hard for him to open and lock the breach when he was small so he got frustrated with it. But when I put the .410 barrel on it he really grinned. He loved the visceral feedback from the boom of the 410. Much more satisfying than the plink of the 22LR.
Call me weird, but I have always liked .22 rimfire rifles ever since I was a kid. I still think they are the most fun gun to shoot and I have shot just about every caliber there is including the big boomers.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #23218
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,553
And some Jr. sized shootin' glasses and ear muffs....

(not trying to be a nattering nellie, or anything...)
S.t.t.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #23219
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDEBT View Post

My oldest at about 11 years old wanted a BB gun, I said no-- But, IF he would earn half the money, I would help him buy any .22 rifle he wanted.

Being more driven then than he is now, he went and hauled heavy irrigation hose/pipe foe a couple weekends, and came back with $80 or so.

We went down and got a little savage single shot youth model for like $120. It has been outstanding . He became a good shot, learned not to waste ammo. The stumpy thing is a tack driver out to 75 yrds. Easily handled, even off hand for a little guy.

My oldest "sold" is half to my youngest last year.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #23220
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal View Post
My oldest at about 11 years old wanted a BB gun, I said no-- But, IF he would earn half the money, I would help him buy any .22 rifle he wanted.

Being more driven then than he is now, he went and hauled heavy irrigation hose/pipe foe a couple weekends, and came back with $80 or so.

We went down and got a little savage single shot youth model for like $120. It has been outstanding . He became a good shot, learned not to waste ammo. The stumpy thing is a tack driver out to 75 yrds. Easily handled, even off hand for a little guy.

My oldest "sold" is half to my youngest last year.
A single shot is a good idea for a first firearm. Learn about safety, like muzzle control. A .22 is great too, because the noise and recoil are so low, a shooter will more easily develop good habits like squeezing the trigger and no flinching.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: