Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 705 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #23356
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by milq View Post
Anyone here aware of a manufacturer of aluminum alloy 1911 commander length frames? Caspian doesn't have them but they do have titanium (for a hefty price as expected). I'm interested in building a lightweight, bobtail 4.25", price may slow me down though....
Errr...

Colt?

That was the cool thing about the Commander 40 years ago- lightweight aluminum frame, before anyone else started downsizing1911s...

(fuck I'm old!)

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 AM   #23357
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,434
New Sig P238, a couple of related 1911 questions

I picked up a Sig P238 yesterday, and it has a "half-cock" hammer position. I noticed at the gun shop that it will drop the hammer when you pull the trigger from half-cock, even with the thumb safety on. This kind of surprised me, but I checked a few others at the shop and it was normal. The guys at the shop didn't seem too clear on whether the gun would actually shoot from half-cock, and seemed kind of surprised that the trigger would release at all with the thumb safety on.

On the Sig forum, I found that the gun won't actually fire from half-cock, but now it has me curious. The manual doesn't refer to this half-cock position, but it does refer to Hammer Safety. I've never owned or shot a 1911, and I understand that some shooters will slowly lower the hammer by holding it while releasing the trigger, with a round in the chamber. Sounds kind of scary to me, but I'm wondering if what Sig calls Hammer Safety is nothing more than this half-cock position, which appears will catch the hammer if it slips, provided the trigger isn't being held, and according to the manual the firing pin safety is only released when the trigger is pulled.

I'd like to hear from you 1911 shooters, as well as anyone with a P238 who really knows the story.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #23358
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,587
I waited a long time for this.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #23359
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
Errr...

Colt?

(fuck I'm old!)
Unless I've missed something, Colt won't sell a bare frame for buildup. I'm thinking of looking for a complete lightweight Colt as well, but would prefer to start with a bare frame if at all possible. I have a friend that owns 3 lightweight Colts but he's a purist and refuses to sell me one as he knows I am going to make major changes to it.

I had it in my head that Caspian had them...the big draw being that Caspian will do custom serial numbers for a small fee (this is to be a gift for my father).
Old 01-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #23360
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,587
Yes Colt 1968 SP1, I will leave it as is.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #23361
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Unless I've missed something, Colt won't sell a bare frame for buildup. I'm thinking of looking for a complete lightweight Colt as well, but would prefer to start with a bare frame if at all possible. I have a friend that owns 3 lightweight Colts but he's a purist and refuses to sell me one as he knows I am going to make major changes to it.

I had it in my head that Caspian had them...the big draw being that Caspian will do custom serial numbers for a small fee (this is to be a gift for my father).
Here's one:

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...l-ALLOY/Detail
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #23362
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy

Oddometer: 6,836
Quote:

Is it alright if I put you in contact with my sons? My birthday is coming up in a couple of months....

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #23363
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post

Thanks! I always forget about Fusion being out there.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #23364
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
Nice.

I like the wood grips but I'm probably gonna do this, I like the olive ones...
http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/cz-grip...z-75-full-size
Excellent link - I like the zebra pattern
I think the CZs are "pretty enough"- I was kinda neutral on the looks at first, the look has grown on me.

I first purchased mine knowing nothing about CZs- essentially was bought of size, cost and fit. Looking back, I did very well. I put the wood (walnut) grips on last year purchased from CZ- much better than the plastic.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #23365
Trixie
No, not that Trixie

Oddometer: 3,470
Quote:
Thanks! I always forget about Fusion being out there.

there's also a company out this way, in Ludlow MA, called Remsport. They make a variety of custom frames, slides, etc for 1911s and AR15's.

No web site I'm aware of, but you can give them a call at 413 589 9976.

Lot of the guys on the local vboards do build parties with some of their stuff and seem to like it.

Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #23366
84thProblem
Disbelief suspended

Oddometer: 435
New gun

I picked up my CCW permit on Friday afternoon. Picked this pf9 up today.

I like the way it feels, and it shoots pretty good. I did have several FTEs in 43 rounds. This was using cheap 9mm I bought at the show though. We'll see how it does if I feed it better this week.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:32 PM   #23367
BigSingle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Wicked Sweet .22

I couldn't decide to put this here or in the rimfire thread, but decided since I love it and want one that I would put it here.

Here's the story my friend has this pistol he's had for a while but cant seem to find a magazine for. If anyone would possibly know the location of one or two of these magazines he would greatly appreciate it.

I just got the pics and do not have any info on it yet other than .22 Russian made? Will post more once I get it name,model, and such.

This thing is pretty unique and anybody that knows what it is will know without the name or model.

Must have one......

Our country was founded by radicals with guns. The day that ideal dies our country dies with it.

BigSingle screwed with this post 01-15-2012 at 04:43 PM
BigSingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #23368
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,001
That pistol looks an awful lot like IZH manufacture, perhaps it has markings like EAA or RAA on the firearm?

This is the IZH-35M, it used to be imported by EAA Corp, it is a Baikal product, I have some shotguns by this mfg. Rough, but they work.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #23369
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84thProblem View Post
I picked up my CCW permit on Friday afternoon. Picked this pf9 up today.

I like the way it feels, and it shoots pretty good. I did have several FTEs in 43 rounds. This was using cheap 9mm I bought at the show though. We'll see how it does if I feed it better this week.
I have one also. I took the mag extender off and put the small plate (included) to make it fit in my pocket better.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #23370
5S Dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
When I'm not riding, working or sleeping, I'm shooting my new CZ P01. May not be pretty but sure shoots good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: