Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #23881
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Anyone shopping for a small 9mm (or above) should seriously look at Kahr, IMO.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
True, my GF has the TP9. I don't know of it's the full size or compact version, but that sucker is tiny!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #23882
Kürbczech
Almost tacticool...

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
Anyone shopping for a small 9mm (or above) should seriously look at Kahr, IMO.
I concur. My TP9 was my first pistol, and it's survived over 1 million rounds. Conceals nicely on my tiny, curvy bod too. It has definitely raised the bar regarding all my subsequent concealment pistols.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #23883
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kürbczech View Post
I concur. My TP9 was my first pistol, and it's survived over 1 million rounds. Conceals nicely on my tiny, curvy bod too. It has definitely raised the bar regarding all my subsequent concealment pistols.
1 million rounds huh? Impressive. That is over 8000 rounds a month for 10 years.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #23884
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
1 million rounds huh? Impressive. That is over 8000 rounds a month for 10 years.
Her godfather shot IDPA with it on the governments dime for a long time before selling it to her.

It's almost a smooth bore at this point.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #23885
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Her godfather shot IDPA with it on the governments dime for a long time before selling it to her.

A typical IDPA match expends roughly 100 rounds. I am dubious that any gun ever made has fired a million rounds. Very few survive 1/10 of that. Perhaps it was just a figure-of-speech.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #23886
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
A typical IDPA match expends roughly 100 rounds. I am dubious that any gun ever made has fired a million rounds. Very few survive 1/10 of that. Perhaps it was just a figure-of-speech.
Could be, it's definitely very worn. Still very functional, could be rebuilt though.

I do know the guy used it as his primary everything gun for a long time. IDPA is just one of his hobbies and he does a lot of shooting.

Million rounds? Dunno, but it's definitely had much more than just about any civilian handgun will have run trough it.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #23887
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:
Does the P238 have a full steel frame?

I think that will be a big help with the smaller guns. But you also have to take into consideration the stronger recoil springs that subcompacts have. She could run into trouble if the gun needs to be cleared while under stress but she can't pull the slide back or (in my case) can't get a grip on the damn thing.

Also, It might still be too big, but the PK380 might be worth a shot. I hear they're much softer shooters than most .380s and are still friendly to both large and small hands.

The P238 has a full alloy frame and stainless slide. Functionally it's just like a 1911. It is an extremely soft shooting gun, with very little recoil. The action for chambering a round is very light, much easier than any of the other pocket .380's I've tried, and actually the lightest of any of my guns. It has a great grip, and even with big hands you feel like you're shooting a real gun with the 7-round extended mag. Fantastic sights too. Most pocket .380's are pretty horrible to shoot, but the P238 is a joy, and a great range gun. I hate to use the term "toy" when referring to weapons, but the P238 makes all the other pocket .380's (with the exception of the Kahr perhaps) feel like toys. Early P238 had some issues, but the new ones are very well-sorted, excellent guns. You can spend a fair amount on one, as Sig offers lots of blingy models, but they all shoot the same and you can buy the basic P238 Nitron for mid $400's. I've got one and it quickly became one of my favorites.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #23888
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:

I wish my government's dime would let me shoot like that. Nowadays we are allowed two range sessions per year, 150 rounds at most per session. Before the economy tanked, we shot 4 times a year, 200 rounds minimum per session. We do get $105.00 quarterly for "weapons maintenance", so I suppose that we could use a portion of that for ammo, but there is no public place here you can legally shoot a .40 cal handgun, so unless you have some sizable acreage available you are SOL.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #23889
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
I wish my government's dime would let me shoot like that. Nowadays we are allowed two range sessions per year, 150 rounds at most per session. Before the economy tanked, we shot 4 times a year, 200 rounds minimum per session. We do get $105.00 quarterly for "weapons maintenance", so I suppose that we could use a portion of that for ammo, but there is no public place here you can legally shoot a .40 cal handgun, so unless you have some sizable acreage available you are SOL.
Really?

Why no .40cal?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #23890
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Really?

Why no .40cal?
Here in Hawaii on the Big Island, there are NO public ranges available. The only public place you can legally discharge a firearm is in a designated hunting area, and it has to be a legal hunting weapon. The only handguns allowed for hunting here must have a 5" barrel, be at least .357 cal AND have a cartridge case length at least that of a .357 magnum. The only exception is for the 10mm auto. Rifles must have a muzzle energy of at least 1200 FT/LBs. Exception is .22 magnum with dogs.

That means no place to shoot a .22 LR, 9mm, .38 spl,, .45 auto, .44 spl.etc. unless you have access to a private land area large enough that has no neighbors to complain.

As a DLNR Enforcement officer (game warden is one of the hats I wear) I would never do anything to circumvent any of the idiotic laws that we have on the books here, especially with my issued equipment.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 02-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #23891
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Here in Hawaii on the Big Island, there are NO public ranges available. The only public place you can legally discharge a firearm is in a designated hunting area, and it has to be a legal hunting weapon. The only handguns allowed for hunting here must have a 5" barrel, be at least .357 cal AND have a cartridge case length at least that of a .357 magnum. The only exception is for the 10mm auto. Rifles must have a muzzle energy of at least 1200 FT/LBs. Exception is .22 magnum with dogs.

That means no place to shoot a .22 LR, 9mm, .38 spl,, .45 auto, .44 spl.etc. unless you have access to a private land area large enough that has no neighbors to complain.

As a DLNR Enforcement officer (game warden is one of the hats I wear) I would never do anything to circumvent any of the idiotic laws that we have on the books here, especially with my issued equipment.

Wow.

Is there a law or something against public ranges or is there just no one interested?

Old 02-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #23892
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow.

Is there a law or something against public ranges or is there just no one interested?
Plenty of interest, but Hawaii is one of the most anti-gun states in the country. There are two government (county) ranges that I know of in the state. One on Oahu, and one on Maui. There has been talk of a public range here, but it hasn't happened yet. I was heavily involved with a gun club here that had a range for its members, but the land that the range was on was worth more to the agricultural concern as residential property, so our leas was terminated. In its current incarnation the club HAD a range on a property that belonged to a member that is a "legal marijuana user". The county police forced that to close since their take is that he can not possess firearms as a marijuana user.

The extremely liberal legal system here has put up many roadblocks to gun ownership, and the shooting sports over the past 25 years. It would be a real nightmare if a person had a range and an accident occurred. So most folks will go out into the forest to shoot and hope that one of my co-workers without a sense of humor does not come across them when they shoot.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #23893
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

That blows, I'd ask you why you're still there but I can already hear Pilot breathing down my neck.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #23894
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
The P238 has a full alloy frame and stainless slide. Functionally it's just like a 1911. It is an extremely soft shooting gun, with very little recoil. The action for chambering a round is very light, much easier than any of the other pocket .380's I've tried, and actually the lightest of any of my guns. It has a great grip, and even with big hands you feel like you're shooting a real gun with the 7-round extended mag. Fantastic sights too. Most pocket .380's are pretty horrible to shoot, but the P238 is a joy, and a great range gun. I hate to use the term "toy" when referring to weapons, but the P238 makes all the other pocket .380's (with the exception of the Kahr perhaps) feel like toys. Early P238 had some issues, but the new ones are very well-sorted, excellent guns. You can spend a fair amount on one, as Sig offers lots of blingy models, but they all shoot the same and you can buy the basic P238 Nitron for mid $400's. I've got one and it quickly became one of my favorites.

Mrs. Iron agrees.

Btw, she says the Hogue grip made it much better.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #23895
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
That blows, I'd ask you why you're still there but I can already hear Pilot breathing down my neck.

Uh, just a guess, but because it's freakin' Hawaii?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: