Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 850 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #24136
Cumminsman76
befuddled

Oddometer: 8,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
I have an STI Edge in 40S&W which is snappier than a 9mm. The full size 1911 frame works very well with it. I shoot it better than I do 45ACP. With a 45, it is a slower push and takes longer to come back down on target.

What do you shoot with it? IDPA, USPSA?

Save $5 on Smugmug "1alkVgTNLEuyQ"
Cumminsman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:36 AM   #24137
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 10,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
The STI Edge is definitely an IPSC Limited gun, so USPSA is probably the ansewr. I'm not sure they would be legal in IDPA, or, if they were, you'd be limited to 10 rounds in the mag.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #24138
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
So many people poo-poo these rifles...but when you get down to it they are really darn good rifles....I think if they had the price tag of a K31, or______ they would not be discounted so quickly. I have 3, a repro sniper, a hex, and round rec...next thing I am looking for is a GOOD american made one.

They do hit hard, but I think with a buttpad it is a great first high power centerfire rifle for someone.....double true if that person is a history nut...a great first mil surplus rifle.
I've got an m44 (barrel is too pitted to trust now ). Never really thought it was that bad. But I grew up shooting cheap lightweight shotguns.... my single 20ga at least doubles the kick of that m44. The 12ga... well I call it the tenderizer. Hell even my little .410 will leave you with a red mark after a few shells. Probably the worst of them all though is an old semi auto 12 ga of my grandfathers.

That sure looks like it. I've only shot that bastard a few times. And that was more than enough.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #24139
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I've got an m44 (barrel is too pitted to trust now ).
That is the thing that everyone needs to keep in mind with these surplus rifles....they are surplus, so pick one that will do what you want from it.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #24140
RogueClimber
"Tacticool"

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I wanna play here!

Wow

Save $5 on SmugMug-- zpTBLRFvcME2c
RogueClimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #24141
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 9,064
Quote:
That is the thing that everyone needs to keep in mind with these surplus rifles....they are surplus, so pick one that will do what you want from it.

Oh I've had it for... hell close to 16 years I suppose. It did it's job for $60.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #24142
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I wanna play here!
It's interesting to see what kind of indoor shooting facilities you can have if you go high-end and modern. Every indoor shooting range I've ever been to (and I haven't been to many of them mind you) has been dark, dingy, and just generally unsavory. I think they must mainly be zoned into the shittier parts of town and things just go from there.

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #24143
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
It's interesting to see what kind of indoor shooting facilities you can have if you go high-end and modern. Every indoor shooting range I've ever been to (and I haven't been to many of them mind you) has been dark, dingy, and just generally unsavory. I think they must mainly be zoned into the shittier parts of town and things just go from there.
And older....getting a new one off the ground is VERY expensive. Having one in the city (heck anywhere) is just one election away from being shut down. One idiot can get you shut down....and don't even go to insurance, EPA, venting.....
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #24144
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 14,564
Quote:
And older....getting a new one off the ground is VERY expensive. Having one in the city (heck anywhere) is just one election away from being shut down. One idiot can get you shut down....and don't even go to insurance, EPA, venting.....
There's a brand new one opening in Richmond, VA soon, looks like it will be pretty nice.

http://www.colonialshooting.com/
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #24145
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsman76 View Post
Neither, I shoot shit in my backyard LOL. I was heading to the gunshop to have them order an STI Tactical 5.0 and saw the Edge in the consignment case at what seemed like a good price so I got it instead. It had some FTF issues so I wonder if that is why the previous owner sold it? I sent it back to STI and they fixed it right up. Been flawless ever since. I would rather have the tactical though so I might sell it to finance that.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #24146
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
There's a brand new one opening in Richmond, VA soon, looks like it will be pretty nice.

http://www.colonialshooting.com/
There's a range "near" here that I need to try out. Brownell's is located about an hour west of here, and they have apparently built a state-of-the-art facility there.

http://bigspringsrange.com/

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #24147
Rasbutan
Unnormal

Oddometer: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Rider View Post
Looking VERY seriously @ a Del-ton ECHO 316 AR/M4 clone...anybody have any experience with them?? Good, bad or otherwise??
Rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #24148
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero View Post
That trap range is perfect for black light shooting.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #24149
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
What are these? What are they worth?

Hello,

A friend of mine dropped off two handguns today to help me identify them.

The 1911 was his father in law's that was his side arm when he was in the army during the Korean war. On the left side of the gun on the slide it says, " REMINGTON RAND INC SYRACUSE, NY U.S.A." Under the slide lock "FJA" is stamped and the letter "P" is stapped just below and close to the grip on the left side. A "6" is stamped on the trigger loop on the left side. On the right side of the gun under the slide on the frame is stamped, " UNITED STATES PROPERTY M 1911 U.S. ARMY" and then NO. 1913327. A "7" and "U" are stamped on the trigger loop/guard on the right side. On the right side of the frame just behing the grip there is an emblem stamped that looks like two crossing cannons and a cannon ball.

This gun looks like it is in mint condition. I still have to take it down and cheeck out the bore. But there is very little surface wear and no rust.

This gun has "IVERJOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS" and then under that it has "IICHBURG, MASS U.S.A." I cannot make out the first two or three letters of the "itchburg" name. On the bottom of the trigger loop "85367" is stamped, and on the bottom of the handle, " PAT. NOV. 17.08" and then under that" PAT'S PENDING"

The 1911 is 45 auto and I think that the second gun is 32 Smith & Wesson.

These are the two boxes that came with the gun.

What are they? And what do you think that they are worth?

Thanks,
Jack
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #24150
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
From this serial number lookup, it was produced in 1944. WW2 1911s are hot, but as with everything it depends on condition, parts, etc. If it's a mixmaster that several armorers have rebuilt, then say at least $500. If it's all original, that number could be triple, perhaps more. Someone who's better up on their 1911s will chime in. Here's a nice link on firing/not firing a collectors 1911, and a forum just for 1911 service pieces. And another.

I had a very similar Iver-Johnson break top, think it's still around somewhere. Wouldn't trust it with modern ammo, IIRC the front sight looked like it was chopped off and rewelded on, badly. Honestly, either hold onto it as an interesting example of early 20th Century firearms or see if there's a local gun buyback where you can get $50 for it.

But maybe I'm wrong and it's worth more, hope that's the case.

Anyway, my $0.02
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!

newcastleadam screwed with this post 02-28-2012 at 04:15 PM
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: