User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 620 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #25126
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,256
Not very good pics, and I forgot I replaced the front sight with a day-glo sight:

Does that give you the general idea?
Not all who wander are lost

CodeMonkee screwed with this post 05-06-2012 at 06:14 PM
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #25127
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
Wouldn't the 10mm Glock be a better Bad Guy/Ferocious Animal gun than a 44Spl?
Maybe - they are about the same in power, except I can go up to 300 grain in the .44 and I have a much wider choice of ammo and projectiles.

Also, I can use whatever ammo I want because it is a revolver. That includes 300 grain bear loads at 1200 fps - try doing that with a 10mm Glock.

Besides, I already have a Glock that is as good against people as a 10mm IMO - and the cartridge is a lot more common.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #25128
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Taurus Total Titanium Tracker in .357 Mag compared to S&W 329PD:

Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #25129
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,310
Long shot, but have you tried fitting the S&W grip on the taurus?

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #25130
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
Long shot, but have you tried fitting the S&W grip on the taurus?
Both are Hogue grips, but I doubt a swap would work. Besides, except for being smaller, the grips on the Taurus are better than those on the S&W, so if anything I would want to do it the other way around.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #25131
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Maybe - they are about the same in power, except I can go up to 300 grain in the .44 and I have a much wider choice of ammo and projectiles.

Also, I can use whatever ammo I want because it is a revolver. That includes 300 grain bear loads at 1200 fps - try doing that with a 10mm Glock.

Besides, I already have a Glock that is as good against people as a 10mm IMO - and the cartridge is a lot more common.
FWIW, Buffalo Bore has 220gr 10mm at 1200fps. That's the heaviest I've found. That'll still do a number on anything that get's in it's way.

At some point it isn't a question of "Will it do the job?", but of "How dead do you want it?"
I've always felt that the 10mm was "Drop it where it stands, dead."
S&W.500 is "Can't come back as a Zombie because there isn't enough left, dead."
and the .44mag in between or "Dirty Harry, dead"

Pick your poison. None of them suck.

Finding full power ammo on the shelf is near impossible. I can always find 10mm target loads which are loaded closer to .40 specs. I see 10mm 180gr @1100fps all the time.

I love my 10(not a Glock), I just wish it was more popular. It would be nice to have a ton of ammo available everywhere.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #25132
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
FWIW, Buffalo Bore has 220gr 10mm at 1200fps. That's the heaviest I've found. That'll still do a number on anything that get's in it's way.

At some point it isn't a question of "Will it do the job?", but of "How dead do you want it?"
For humans that is plenty, for a brown bear it isn't near enough. A .44 Mag isn't near enough, but it might get the job done.

I have nothing against Glocks, but sometimes I want the versatility of a revolver.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #25133
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
For humans that is plenty, for a brown bear it isn't near enough. A .44 Mag isn't near enough, but it might get the job done.

I have nothing against Glocks, but sometimes I want the versatility of a revolver.
For the weight an size of some of the bear guns, I often wonder if it'd be easier to carry a class III SBR'd 10mm glock into the back country.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #25134
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Hmm...

"The Safe-T-Blok for Glock Pistols
Saf-T-Blok's "behind the trigger" safety augments the Glock safe-action trigger to prevent accidental discharge.

Saf-T-Blok snaps easily into place and stays firmly in place until it is ejected by the trigger finger. Independent tests by Performance Shooting, Inc. showed that "Zero" time was added to the draw and firing of the weapon."

Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #25135
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,648
Quote:
Quote:
FWIW, Buffalo Bore has 220gr 10mm at 1200fps. That's the heaviest I've found. That'll still do a number on just about anything that get's in it's way.

Fixed.

Question? Are you better off firing off a "warning" shot hoping to scare a brown away, or go for the kill and hope you don't just piss it off.

Assume you aren't between Momma and cubs.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #25136
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Fixed.
Fixed what?

Quote:
Question? Are you better off firing off a "warning" shot hoping to scare a brown away, or go for the kill and hope you don't just piss it off.

Assume you aren't between Momma and cubs.
My philosophy is the same as for humans; if you are going to shoot, shoot to incapacitate - i.e., no warning shots.

Besides, while a warning shot might work on a human, I doubt that a bear knows you just shot at it - all it knows is that there was a loud noise.

That said, the threat of bears is very low. You are more likely to encounter a feral dog than a bear, and bears more often tend to try to avoid humans.

I wanted a large caliber powerful handgun that was light enough to carry such that I would not be having to decide whether to leave it at home because it was so heavy.

Would I prefer a large powerful rifle if I had to shoot a dangerous animal? Sure, but I doubt I would carry that rifle unless I was hunting.

It is just a matter of advantages v. disadvantages. No gun is perfect. At this point in time the S&W 329PD is the compromise I am willing to live with in certain situations. Or it could just be an excuse to get another gun.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #25137
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,807
Quote:

The only handgun I've ever used or carried that gives me something approaching confidence against a brown bear is this:

There is something about the 500. It just flattens shit. I have written about this before. I've had fairly extensive experience with this caliber, own one of the very early 8 3/8" guns as well as the pictured 4" (which is really a 3" with a 1" comp). When I bought the longer barreled gun in '03 I familiarized myself with it, then used it to bag a nice buck in the fall of that year. While I realize that this is anecdotal, the deer did not move from the spot where he was standing. It literally bowled him over. When the gun came down from recoil I couldn't see the deer at all and initially thought he'd bolted or perhaps I'd missed. Then I noticed three or four wavering 'sticks', and realized they were the deer's legs and feet sticking straight up in the air. I've shot a half dozen deer with a 357 revolver back in my youth, and one with a 44 Mag when I was in my 30s, and they all ran some distance, between 50 feet and 100 yards, before giving up the ghost. Again, I realize that this is not scientific by any means, but it has made me think that if I were ever to encounter an angry/hungry/aggressive griz in the wild I might have a fighting chance with the 500, whereas a 357 or a 44 would probably just piss him off even more!

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #25138
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
The only handgun I've ever used or carried that gives me something approaching confidence against a brown bear is this:

There is something about the 500. It just flattens shit. I have written about this before. I've had fairly extensive experience with this caliber, own one of the very early 8 3/8" guns as well as the pictured 4" (which is really a 3" with a 1" comp). When I bought the longer barreled gun in '03 I familiarized myself with it, then used it to bag a nice buck in the fall of that year. While I realize that this is anecdotal, the deer did not move from the spot where he was standing. It literally bowled him over. When the gun came down from recoil I couldn't see the deer at all and initially thought he'd bolted or perhaps I'd missed. Then I noticed three or four wavering 'sticks', and realized they were the deer's legs and feet sticking straight up in the air. I've shot a half dozen deer with a 357 revolver back in my youth, and one with a 44 Mag when I was in my 30s, and they all ran some distance, between 50 feet and 100 yards, before giving up the ghost. Again, I realize that this is not scientific by any means, but it has made me think that if I were ever to encounter an angry/hungry/aggressive griz in the wild I might have a fighting chance with the 500, whereas a 357 or a 44 would probably just piss him off even more!
When are they gonna make a lever action for it?

Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #25139
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,807
Quote:
I think there are at least a couple out there, one by Big Horn Armory and another one, the name of which I cannot recall. However, those are both high-end expensive guns......if you can even find one. I ordered a BHArmory gun more than 1 1/2 years ago and still nothing. I think they are more hot air than hot lead.

What I'd really like to see would be for Ruger to chamber their No. 1 single shot in 500. I see no reason why they couldn't, but they don't. I was looking at a cheapo H&R single shot in a shop just the other day. It was crude and ugly, but I'm guessing it works just fine and I may decide to go that route for now, then get a nicer one sometime if/when they become available.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #25140
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:

They do. I posted it earlier. DRC Firearms and Big Horn make one.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: