Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 658 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #25141
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
What does the mass think about XD in .40?
.40's for limp wristed Sallys.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #25142
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

"The Safe-T-Blok for Glock Pistols
Saf-T-Blok's "behind the trigger" safety augments the Glock safe-action trigger to prevent accidental discharge.

Saf-T-Blok snaps easily into place and stays firmly in place until it is ejected by the trigger finger. Independent tests by Performance Shooting, Inc. showed that "Zero" time was added to the draw and firing of the weapon."

Did Performance Shooting, Inc show an increase in ND's when you have to finger fuck the trigger in order to remove an obstruction placed behind it?

I guess zero time would be added as long as you are popping that thing out on the draw. But then you are taking it off "safe" before you have decided to fire. If your finger is indexed along the slide as it should be, then when you decide to fire you pop that out it definitely would add time. So then what do you do when you want to put it back on "safe"? Start looking around that little piece of plastic so you can put it back before you reholster?

Stupid. If someone is not comfortable carrying a Glock the way it is, then don't. It is that simple. Carry something with an active safety or a revolver with a long heavy DA pull.

I have been told I have the body of a God. What does this Buddha guy look like?

GoGo Gadget screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 09:03 AM
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #25143
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
When are they gonna make a lever action for it?
I'd rather have a beefed up folding sub-2k type gun, semi, and mag fed in 500. What a cool brush gun - carry a few mags of a dozen rounds per, folds up and goes in your pack, etc.

Of course, magazines + rimmed = hassles, etc. But if someone makes it, I'll like it
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #25144
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Fixed what?
I added "Just About"

We only have black bears around here. A loud noise generally works if they aren't already running away. Momma and cubs not so much.
Just curious.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #25145
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget View Post
Did Performance Shooting, Inc show an increase in ND's when you have to finger fuck the trigger in order to remove an obstruction placed behind it?

I guess zero time would be added as long as you are popping that thing out on the draw. But then you are taking it off "safe" before you have decided to fire. If your finger is indexed along the slide as it should be, then when you decide to fire you pop that out it definitely would add time. So then what do you do when you want to put it back on "safe"? Start looking around that little piece of plastic so you can put it back before you reholster?

Stupid. If someone is not comfortable carrying a Glock the way it is, then don't. It is that simple. Carry something with an active safety or a revolver with a long heavy DA pull.
You should try one. Then, you might be surprised, you might like it.
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #25146
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,395
Quote:
Hmm...

"The Safe-T-Blok for Glock Pistols
Saf-T-Blok's "behind the trigger" safety augments the Glock safe-action trigger to prevent accidental discharge.

Saf-T-Blok snaps easily into place and stays firmly in place until it is ejected by the trigger finger. Independent tests by Performance Shooting, Inc. showed that "Zero" time was added to the draw and firing of the weapon."

You would like this guy.

The guy that invented it had a zoo ... with a bear.

A kid lost an arm to the bear.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #25147
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
They do. I posted it earlier. DRC Firearms and Big Horn make one.
Oh yeah!

Thought I noticed some deja vu.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #25148
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:

Thought it was interesting.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #25149
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I was looking at a cheapo H&R single shot in a shop just the other day. It was crude and ugly, but I'm guessing it works just fine and I may decide to go that route for now, then get a nicer one sometime if/when they become available.
I have a single shot H&R in fully rifled 12ga...it's not a bad gun for the price.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #25150
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I have a single shot H&R in fully rifled 12ga...it's not a bad gun for the price.

Plus you can stick many different center fire barrels on it to make it just about any calibre rifle.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #25151
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
What does the mass think about XD in .40?
I have a 4" XD in .40 cal. Like it very much. Accurate, and it eats everything I feed it, including the "dreaded" Winchester white box ammo, both FMJ and HP. It rides in my glove box or my tank bag, depending on if I'm trucking it or biking it. Name's not Sally, either...
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #25152
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 993
This one does it for me.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #25153
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andylaser View Post
This one does it for me.

What is that? I never saw one of those at band camp.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #25154
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
.40's for limp wristed Sallys.
Well just call me Long Tall Sally then. I have an XDM in .40
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #25155
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Fixed what?

My philosophy is the same as for humans; if you are going to shoot, shoot to incapacitate - i.e., no warning shots.

Besides, while a warning shot might work on a human, I doubt that a bear knows you just shot at it - all it knows is that there was a loud noise.

That said, the threat of bears is very low. You are more likely to encounter a feral dog than a bear, and bears more often tend to try to avoid humans.

I wanted a large caliber powerful handgun that was light enough to carry such that I would not be having to decide whether to leave it at home because it was so heavy.

Would I prefer a large powerful rifle if I had to shoot a dangerous animal? Sure, but I doubt I would carry that rifle unless I was hunting.

It is just a matter of advantages v. disadvantages. No gun is perfect. At this point in time the S&W 329PD is the compromise I am willing to live with in certain situations. Or it could just be an excuse to get another gun.
The only place you need to worry about brown bears or the more probable threat, a mad moose, is in Alaska (or some smaller regions of Canada). And if you are tramping around the bush, you need to carry a rifle and not a pistol. My guide gun in 45/70 is pretty damn easy to carry and I have even been tempted to make an (illegal) pistol grip for it. You could still grip the forestock really well and get off a high velocity 405 or 500 grain round to stop a charging moose or brownie. I certainly would not trust a .500 S&W or any other pistol. A revolver can get you several rounds off pretty fast, but skill with a lever action can get you about the same number much better aimed. You might get off one well aimed round, but to bring that bad boy down for a second kill shot would be pretty hard with all that adrenaline running through your brain. But if you are going to carry a pistol, then this is the only one to consider:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: