"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #25547
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Never understood someone purchasing a firearm and never shooting it. Unless it's a crazy 24k special edition, antique, unsafe to shoot, or just cannot get the ammo of course. But that M1A...just begging to be let out of the safe at some watermelons packed with tannerite.
Like I like...

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #25548
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Oddometer: 11,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
One o'dem just popped-up for sale 'round here... pricey.
link
Thanks for popping that up, but I already found a deal on one. Pickin it up tomorrow.
ZzyzyxRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #25549
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
It works - I have this exact scope. I mostly use it as a Scout Scope on rifles. It is fairly rugged. It has been banged around some.

Still wish either Burris or Leupold would make a compact handgun (LER/EER) scope in ~1.x to 4X.

Something like this:

Or this:

But with sufficient eye relief to work as a Scout Scope.

They have the scopes - they just need to tweak the optics to get the eye relief.
Thanks Mr Monkey Man, that's what I wanted to know. It's in my $ range. I have a Nikon mount I can use for now that came with another scope. Till I can get some decent aluminum QR low mounts anyways.
Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #25550
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post
One o'dem just popped-up for sale 'round here... pricey.
link
Shot this piss out of a friends; WANT!
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #25551
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,583
Here's the latest.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #25552
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Never understood someone purchasing a firearm and never shooting it. Unless it's a crazy 24k special edition, antique, unsafe to shoot, or just cannot get the ammo of course. But that M1A...just begging to be let out of the safe at some watermelons.

My buddy is like this. He's into WWI and WWII rifles and refuses to shoot them. He says they're collector pieces and refuses to shoot $400-600 common guns. I have a pseudo-rare sks with a gorgeous beat up patina and he freaked out that I shoot it all the time and never clean it. He has a gorgeous M14 that is perfect that he spent $3k on and has had it for 6 years and only shot it once. He takes gun ownership and collecting to a level that is not fun to me

He's also the guy that had a really cool late 90's firebird and didn't ever drive it as he didn't want to ruin the value and put on mileage. He ended up selling it for $8k after tryng to sell it for over 6 months. Luckily he sold it before my truck was paid off and I could buy it and then beat the crap out of it!

xshanex screwed with this post 05-30-2012 at 10:16 PM Reason: added more
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #25553
ZzyzyxRd
Home of the odds

Quote:
Certainly.

I am guessing ZzyzyxRd was just mentioned it as something that he liked the feel and balance of.

Personally, I like bullpups - and yes, there are bullpup M1As (albeit rare); this is the one I used to own until I decided I didn't really need a 12+ pound $3K sniper rifle:

BTW - it's really funny how the photos of the rifle get around; that one comes from a Chinese website, there's another one on a Russian site. The one on the Chinese site says :

None of which is anywhere near what it is even given the fact that I don't. It is an AWC G2A. The rifle was mostly designed by Gale McMillan. In my hands it shot 0.5 MOA groups and I am sure it would do better with a more competent shooter - I sold it to an FFL in AZ (Security Arms) who I think still has it.

I am still considering a Keltec RFB - as a less expensive and more practical 7.62x51 bullpup.
I've always liked the way that bullpups balance, I've fondled more than a couple, never had the opportunity to shoot one though. I like the way they just seem to naturally flow to target. I imagine that alot of the barrel to body recoil whip is eliminated as well.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #25554
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by xshanex View Post
My buddy is like this. He's into WWI and WWII rifles and refuses to shoot them. He says they're collector pieces and refuses to shoot $400-600 common guns. I have a pseudo-rare sks with a gorgeous beat up patina and he freaked out that I shoot it all the time and never clean it. He has a gorgeous M14 that is perfect that he spent $3k on and has had it for 6 years and only shot it once. He takes gun ownership and collecting to a level that is not fun to me.
I know a guy that has some really cool, old cavalry sabers.

To my knowledge, he has never used them.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:23 AM   #25555
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzyzyxRd View Post
I've always liked the way that bullpups balance, I've fondled more than a couple, never had the opportunity to shoot one though. I like the way they just seem to naturally flow to target. I imagine that alot of the barrel to body recoil whip is eliminated as well.
I like them too - I still have a few, just not that one anymore. If it was more general purpose and lighter then I would have kept it, but it was very specialized and if I want a long range sniper rifle then I would go with a .50 BMG instead and really reach out there. I should have kept it anyway - but I already have enough guns I don't shoot.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #25556
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Here's the latest.

Nice, I've been looking at HiPoints. Heard many good things about them. What caliber is your HiPoint? I'm lookin at the 9mm. Is that mag a standard from another manufacturer?
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #25557
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,583
The Hi Point is a 9mm. The magazine is a Pro Mag, that is supposed to be 15 rounds. I tried it out and it took 16 rounds, so I had to send it back.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #25558
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
The Hi Point is a 9mm. The magazine is a Pro Mag, that is supposed to be 15 rounds. I tried it out and it took 16 rounds, so I had to send it back.
uh.. what?
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #25559
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,732
Quote:
I like them too - I still have a few, just not that one anymore. If it was more general purpose and lighter then I would have kept it, but it was very specialized and if I want a long range sniper rifle then I would go with a .50 BMG instead and really reach out there. I should have kept it anyway - but I already have enough guns I don't shoot.
I've only fired a bullpup once, and doubt that I'll ever own one. I did not like the idea of a round detonating next to my temple and pretty face. I realize that is paranoid, that the odds of an action coming unglued are remote, and acknowledge that I've fired many tens of thousands of rifle rounds over the course of my lifetime with no issue, not to mention the fact that a conventional configuration rifle only places the action a few inches in front of one's mug in any case......but still, I get a little queasy at the thought of that round going boom while pressed up against the ol' noggin. Plus I think they are ugly. Does make for a compact rifle, however.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #25560
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,160
Trying an easy enlarged bolt handle from KRG on a rifle I'm building.

It's polymer, fits over the existing bolt knob.

I kinda like it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: