ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 660 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #25561
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer
 
CodeMonkee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 5,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I've only fired a bullpup once, and doubt that I'll ever own one. I did not like the idea of a round detonating next to my temple and pretty face. I realize that is paranoid, that the odds of an action coming unglued are remote, and acknowledge that I've fired many tens of thousands of rifle rounds over the course of my lifetime with no issue, not to mention the fact that a conventional configuration rifle only places the action a few inches in front of one's mug in any case......but still, I get a little queasy at the thought of that round going boom while pressed up against the ol' noggin. Plus I think they are ugly. Does make for a compact rifle, however.
Personally, if something is going to go kaboom, I would rather have it off to the side instead of right in front of my eyes like a conventional rifle. You do get a bit more gases and noise though.

If you are ever in the neighborhood and want to try one let me know.
__________________
'09 Husaberg FE570
'99 Beta Alp
'04 Ducati MTS - sold
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #25562
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers
 
AZbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Phoenix, in the Arcadia area
Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
uh.. what?
He must live in one of the really fucked states.
__________________
rubber side down,

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #25563
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
He must live in one of the really fucked states.

Nestled between New York City to the east, and America to the west.

I sent the magazine back to Midway, not the rifle.
__________________
It is the summer of my smiles - flee from me Keepers of the Gloom
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #25564
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer
 
live2offroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Livermore CA, gateway to the Sierra's
Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Nestled between New York City to the east, and America to the west.

I sent the magazine back to Midway, not the rifle.
No no.. I get that.. But quietly put the 16rd to the side and buy a proper 15rd replacement for public consumption. Ya never know when an extra round would make the difference..

Just sayin'..

live2offroad screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 10:52 AM
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #25565
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer
 
Motor31's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Wherever we park - full time RV'ers
Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I've only fired a bullpup once, and doubt that I'll ever own one. I did not like the idea of a round detonating next to my temple and pretty face. I realize that is paranoid, that the odds of an action coming unglued are remote, and acknowledge that I've fired many tens of thousands of rifle rounds over the course of my lifetime with no issue, not to mention the fact that a conventional configuration rifle only places the action a few inches in front of one's mug in any case......but still, I get a little queasy at the thought of that round going boom while pressed up against the ol' noggin. Plus I think they are ugly. Does make for a compact rifle, however.

You say that like having an explosion right up against a lawyers head is a bad thing or somethin..........














__________________
Wherever we go, there we are.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #25566
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
The Hi Point is a 9mm. The magazine is a Pro Mag, that is supposed to be 15 rounds. I tried it out and it took 16 rounds, so I had to send it back.
Doesn't the HiPoint take S&W Mod 59 mags? Or have I been reading so much that I have mixed that up with something else?

The reason is, that I have 2 mod 59 mags. (that go with my 59)
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #25567
Mr Weebles
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Mr Weebles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Weare NH
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Doesn't the HiPoint take S&W Mod 59 mags? Or have I been reading so much that I have mixed that up with something else?

The reason is, that I have 2 mod 59 mags. (that go with my 59)
Are you thinking of the Kel-Tec SUB-2000s? They make different models and some take 59 series mags, some take Beretta mags, some take Glock mags, etc.

I just bought a 5906 to replace my 3914 as my carry gun and have been looking for a SUB-2000 so I can share mags. Kel-Tecs are tough to find right now though.
__________________
Hi all, Me and my motorbike Dot are just on an impromptu adventure across the world from Sydney to London and thought you might like to read about it. - Nathanthepostman
Mr Weebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #25568
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Northcentral CT
Oddometer: 8,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Weebles View Post
Are you thinking of the Kel-Tec SUB-2000s? They make different models and some take 59 series mags, some take Beretta mags, some take Glock mags, etc.
You may be right. I've been thinking about getting something like a HiPoint in 9mm, because the ammo is cheap and I have 2 9mm pistols. I've read so much stuff that it's all running together.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #25569
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer
 
KSJEEPER's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Kansas City area
Oddometer: 4,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
You may be right. I've been thinking about getting something like a HiPoint in 9mm, because the ammo is cheap and I have 2 9mm pistols. I've read so much stuff that it's all running together.
Sub 2k comes in various flavors of 9, and folds in half. 16" long folded. Perfect road trip gun as companion to your carry pistol.

Problem is, they are tough to come by. Very popular. Of course, that translates into quick sale getting all your money back, if you end up not liking it.
__________________
2002 KLR650 - 2007 HD Electra Glide
'It doesn't matter how big a ranch ya' own, or how many cows ya' brand,the size of your funeral is still gonna depend on the weather.' Harry Truman
"Death smiles upon us all, a U.S. Marine smiles back"
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #25570
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
Doesn't the HiPoint take S&W Mod 59 mags? Or have I been reading so much that I have mixed that up with something else?

The reason is, that I have 2 mod 59 mags. (that go with my 59)
The High Point mag looks an awful lot like a scaled down 1911 mag.
__________________
It is the summer of my smiles - flee from me Keepers of the Gloom
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #25571
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor31 View Post
You say that like having an explosion right up against a lawyers head is a bad thing or somethin..........
















You got me there. I guess I would have to agree with you......at least with respect to some lawyers!




__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:29 PM   #25572
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 9,874
I would like a 9mm carbine of some sort, but am not real fond of Hi-Points. Maybe I'm just a gun snob.

A year or so ago I was in a shop and they had a Colt AR in 9x19. I wanted it bad, it was a brand new gun and the price-tag was in the neighborhood of $1000. It was an old style A1 upper, I guess that's the only way Colt makes them, built in carry handle and the old-school sights with no elevation adjustments in the rear sight. I thought about it for a while and then passed, but now kinda wish I had bought it. You don't see those but once every decade or so, it seems.....
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #25573
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I would like a 9mm carbine of some sort, but am not real fond of Hi-Points. Maybe I'm just a gun snob.

A year or so ago I was in a shop and they had a Colt AR in 9x19. I wanted it bad, it was a brand new gun and the price-tag was in the neighborhood of $1000. It was an old style A1 upper, I guess that's the only way Colt makes them, built in carry handle and the old-school sights with no elevation adjustments in the rear sight. I thought about it for a while and then passed, but now kinda wish I had bought it. You don't see those but once every decade or so, it seems.....
JR Carbine
__________________
It is the summer of my smiles - flee from me Keepers of the Gloom
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #25574
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount
 
EvilGenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
JR Carbine
I WANT!

__________________
"Try turning that burn into torque. Then we're getting somewhere. Riding the potato to work seems quite impractical." - anotherguy

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #25575
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.
 
fyrfytr's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Jersey, the New one.
Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post
I WANT!

It took a little while but I got one.
__________________
It is the summer of my smiles - flee from me Keepers of the Gloom
fyrfytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014