Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 717 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 AM   #25876
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I've seen the most basic 10/22s for $199 locally in the past six months. And we don't have a sales tax or any transfer fees if you buy through a direct retailer.

I've always been puzzled by how some people get away with selling guns via classifieds for more than they are really worth. I suppose it might have something to do with supply/demand if a given gun is particularly desireable or hard-to-find, but sometimes I think it's simply because of the "no paperwork" thing......which could be no big deal, or could be problematic. On the few occasions I've sold a gun that way, I've taken down the buyer's name and address and kept track of it just in case the gun is later used in a crime, and someone looks me up. I had that happen a number of years ago and was glad I had that info. If someone refuses to let me see his DL or some sort of ID, I won't sell a gun to them. That's just me. CYA.
No DL no gun. Good policy.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #25877
HardCase
winter is coming

Oddometer: 9,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
No DL no gun. Good policy.
The situation I had come up was where I sold a 357 revolver to a guy, we were casually acquainted and I knew he was no criminal type. The gun ended up being found in the possession of a drug dealer along with a bunch of meth and they traced it back to me.....I'd originally bought it new at a local shop. I told them that the last time I'd seen it was when I sold it to my acquaintance and gave them his contact info. Turns out he'd had the gun stuffed in the bottom of his underwear drawer and didn't even realize it was gone. I guess someone they had clean their house had grabbed it and sold it to someone else, etc. He ultimately got the gun back, but it was much the worse for wear, they must have used it to pound nails and slammed the cylinder open and shut real hard because the gun was loose and essentially ruined.

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #25878
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,306
Quote:
I've seen the most basic 10/22s for $199 locally in the past six months. And we don't have a sales tax or any transfer fees if you buy through a direct retailer.

I've always been puzzled by how some people get away with selling guns via classifieds for more than they are really worth. I suppose it might have something to do with supply/demand if a given gun is particularly desireable or hard-to-find, but sometimes I think it's simply because of the "no paperwork" thing......which could be no big deal, or could be problematic. On the few occasions I've sold a gun that way, I've taken down the buyer's name and address and kept track of it just in case the gun is later used in a crime, and someone looks me up. I had that happen a number of years ago and was glad I had that info. If someone refuses to let me see his DL or some sort of ID, I won't sell a gun to them. That's just me. CYA.
There are MANY people out there who don't want ANYONE to know they bought a gun, except the seller that is. And to those people, it is well worth a few dollars for them to remain anonymous. In private sales where the "Big Bro" is ignorant to the person who bought the firearm in a private sale, this is why one can sell a firearm for what they had into it, or sell it to someone for a profit. I see people all the time in a local gun sales website selling guns for over street price (from a FFL or Gun shop) because the purchaser doesn't have to file a form, and the govt doesn't know where the gun ended up so doesn't knwo who's door to come knocking on when they want all our guns.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #25879
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
The situation I had come up was where I sold a 357 revolver to a guy, we were casually acquainted and I knew he was no criminal type. The gun ended up being found in the possession of a drug dealer along with a bunch of meth and they traced it back to me.....I'd originally bought it new at a local shop. I told them that the last time I'd seen it was when I sold it to my acquaintance and gave them his contact info. Turns out he'd had the gun stuffed in the bottom of his underwear drawer and didn't even realize it was gone. I guess someone they had clean their house had grabbed it and sold it to someone else, etc. He ultimately got the gun back, but it was much the worse for wear, they must have used it to pound nails and slammed the cylinder open and shut real hard because the gun was loose and essentially ruined.
I sold a Taurus 605 to a member here, he sold it to a local guy, and it got stolen FROM that guy. They asked me if I had the serial number because the cops needed it. I did since I keep a ream of paper with all my gun serial numbers on it even after I sell them. And they ended up recovering the gun!~
Old 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #25880
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromdog View Post
No paperwork.
I guess I hadn't thought of that...since nearly every ad the seller lists every thing you need to buy the gun from them. Could very well just be smoke and mirrors in case anyone is watching though. Two of the last 3 guns I sold were to cops!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #25881
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I guess I hadn't thought of that...since nearly every ad the seller lists every thing you need to buy the gun from them. Could very well just be smoke and mirrors in case anyone is watching though. Two of the last 3 guns I sold were to cops!
Here in NM we have no laws about selling to private citizens as long as the gun is legal. They only have to be 21 if it's a handgun, 18 if a rifle or shotgun. They don't HAVE to show an ID, or anything unless YOU as the seller wants them to. You have no obligation to keep a record of it either.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #25882
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
I don't care much for "internet experts" or "youtube experts" but I do enjoy Hickock45's videos. Some of these guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I actually liked this last video he did on US military rifles....that is what I enjoy...or should I say did enjoy, but as I am now living through these people and watchin lots of youtube and not actually shooting....who else is worth a crap to watch.

Some are fun, FPSRussia, some are nutz, schootz or whatever his name is....and others are total idiots Iraqi dumb ass for example.

Same goes for "gun" shows on the tube, very few are good and are not just if ya know what I mean.

Here is the US military link....sorry too stupit to imbed.....gotta learn that one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXh4Qhmt3xA
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #25883
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #25884

Oddometer: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:51 PM   #25885
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 View Post
Makes you wonder... They knew that was going to happen before they got there, right?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 PM   #25886
VegasKLRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post

This is why I leave my guns close to stock- even when competing. That super-slick trigger might cut .005 second off your splits, but one major malf eats up a lot more than that. I am also reminded of why I got rid of the Saiga!

WWJWD?

What Would John Wayne Do?

Southwest Riders visit www.my2wheels.com.
VegasKLRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #25887
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Here in NM we have no laws about selling to private citizens as long as the gun is legal. They only have to be 21 if it's a handgun, 18 if a rifle or shotgun. They don't HAVE to show an ID, or anything unless YOU as the seller wants them to. You have no obligation to keep a record of it either.
Good deal! That's why I prefer "pre-owned". LOL!

I intend to keep my guns.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #25888
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,873

Friend picked this up today. Sig P238, very nice.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #25889
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I don't care much for "internet experts" or "youtube experts" but I do enjoy Hickock45's videos. Some of these guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.

I actually liked this last video he did on US military rifles....that is what I enjoy...or should I say did enjoy, but as I am now living through these people and watchin lots of youtube and not actually shooting....who else is worth a crap to watch.

Some are fun, FPSRussia, some are nutz, schootz or whatever his name is....and others are total idiots Iraqi dumb ass for example.

Same goes for "gun" shows on the tube, very few are good and are not just if ya know what I mean.

Here is the US military link....sorry too stupit to imbed.....gotta learn that one day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXh4Qhmt3xA
Hickok45 is my favorite, but Tim at Military Arms Channel is a close second very honest and to the point, but not without humor.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:33 AM   #25890
RonS
Out there...

Oddometer: 18,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMotorcyclist View Post

Friend picked this up today. Sig P238, very nice.
I've got one of those. Very nice little shooter.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: