ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 866 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #26191
MrBob
Certified Geezer
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,561
I'm the original owner of this gun:

The Ruger SP101 Stainless in 38/357. I want to sell it,

and I want to find a smaller concealed carry like this one.


How do I determine the value of my slightly used Ruger, and how do I sell it responsibly?
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #26192
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer
 
tslewisz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Bloomington, IL
Oddometer: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
www.SavageShooters.com

Can't say I've ever had an issue with the front scope mount hole threads. One issue that is common though is that some screws included with scope bases are a little long and will bottom out on the barrel shank (front-most hole) or stick down through the receiver and prevent the bolt from closing (bolt head will hit it).
I bought a couple of barrels from you guys. Cheers!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #26193
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer
 
MrFurious's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
I bought a couple of barrels from you guys. Cheers!
Maybe from someone in the classifieds or one of our advertising vendors, but not me. Only Savage barrel I've ever sold was a McGowen in .222 Rem. that I could never get to shoot better than 0.6" groups @ 100.
__________________
Jim B.


MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:23 AM   #26194
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer
 
MrFurious's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
How do I determine the value of my slightly used Ruger, and how do I sell it responsibly?
I generally prefer to trade-in my handguns or sell the outright to a gun shop just so I don't have to worry about where they might end up. If you sell online via GunBroker.com or the like, all handguns by law have to be shipped overnight USPS which is expensive. And don't forget, if you ship it you have to ship it to an FFL holder they specify (they have to send you a copy of their dealers license) as you can't ship directly to the buyer.

The only way I'd do a face-to-face sale (if your state allows it) would be if it was someone I knew really well and knew for a fact they didn't have any past or present issues that would prevent them from being allowed to own a firearm.

That's just me though...
__________________
Jim B.


MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #26195
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I generally prefer to trade-in my handguns or sell the outright to a gun shop just so I don't have to worry about where they might end up. If you sell online via GunBroker.com or the like, all handguns by law have to be shipped overnight USPS which is expensive. And don't forget, if you ship it you have to ship it to an FFL holder they specify (they have to send you a copy of their dealers license) as you can't ship directly to the buyer.

The only way I'd do a face-to-face sale (if your state allows it) would be if it was someone I knew really well and knew for a fact they didn't have any past or present issues that would prevent them from being allowed to own a firearm.

That's just me though...
I have bought quite a few things face to face, but what I generally buy is stuff that is not likely to be used in a crime...it could be stolen however. Some agencies will run a serial number on a gun you are buying face to face to see if it is stolen.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #26196
Tellydoug
Troubador of joy
 
Tellydoug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: channeling my inner manatee
Oddometer: 6,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have bought quite a few things face to face, but what I generally buy is stuff that is not likely to be used in a crime...it could be stolen however. Some agencies will run a serial number on a gun you are buying face to face to see if it is stolen.

And that's not always accurate....

My ex got stopped for speeding in Utah, didn't have her CCW on her. The cop found out she had handguns in the car, with no CCW, so he took them. Utah. He ran the serial numbers, and a Bond Arms derringer came back as stolen, one that I had bought new from a store (reputable store). It came back as being reported stolen 5 or 6 times actually. We got it back the next day, and figured that they maybe don't always change the serial numbers from gun to gun for some reason, cheaper manufacturing maybe? That seemed pretty hokey to me.

I told the dealer about it, I'm sure Bond Arms jumped all over that issue.... (yeah, right.)
__________________
"The Dalai Llama said that on my death bed I would receive total consciousness. So I've got that going for me, which is nice." Carl Spackler

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde
_____________________________
Tellydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #26197
MrBob
Certified Geezer
 
MrBob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Boulderish, CO
Oddometer: 7,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
I generally prefer to trade-in my handguns or sell the outright to a gun shop just so I don't have to worry about where they might end up. If you sell online via GunBroker.com or the like, all handguns by law have to be shipped overnight USPS which is expensive. And don't forget, if you ship it you have to ship it to an FFL holder they specify (they have to send you a copy of their dealers license) as you can't ship directly to the buyer.

The only way I'd do a face-to-face sale (if your state allows it) would be if it was someone I knew really well and knew for a fact they didn't have any past or present issues that would prevent them from being allowed to own a firearm.

That's just me though...
A gun shop needs to make its profit so will offer less than a face to face sale, it seems to me, but it sounds like you're thinking the costs of privately selling a handgun makes this a wash. My local shop charges about 35.00 to receive a gun and most overnight packages I've sent cost me at least the same.
I'm very concerned that the Ruger remains in responsible hands.
__________________
"When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't."
bwanacswan's dad
MrBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #26198
HardCase
winter is coming
 
HardCase's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: chambers on the Third
Oddometer: 10,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
A gun shop needs to make its profit so will offer less than a face to face sale, it seems to me, but it sounds like you're thinking the costs of privately selling a handgun makes this a wash. My local shop charges about 35.00 to receive a gun and most overnight packages I've sent cost me at least the same.
I'm very concerned that the Ruger remains in responsible hands.
I get the whole "need to make a profit" thing, but damn if some shops don't just try to ass-rape prospective sellers. Around here it seems that if a guy wants to sell a gun for cash to a shop he might be able to get 50% of actual fair-market value. Does a shop make a 100% profit on new guns? No? I didn't think so.
__________________
Μολών λαβέ

Hard cases make bad law.
HardCase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #26199
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellydoug View Post
And that's not always accurate....

My ex got stopped for speeding in Utah, didn't have her CCW on her. The cop found out she had handguns in the car, with no CCW, so he took them. Utah. He ran the serial numbers, and a Bond Arms derringer came back as stolen, one that I had bought new from a store (reputable store). It came back as being reported stolen 5 or 6 times actually. We got it back the next day, and figured that they maybe don't always change the serial numbers from gun to gun for some reason, cheaper manufacturing maybe? That seemed pretty hokey to me.

I told the dealer about it, I'm sure Bond Arms jumped all over that issue.... (yeah, right.)
So she gave consent to search?...or are they laying in view...both are stupid. And unless Utah is different then MO you can't run a history from your car, only back at the office...and it is not something that they would do over the air. We would take the gun bring them back and then run the history....then the dealer buying a stolen gun that is a HUGE biggie, then the gun is reported stolen and you get it back the next day? stolen 5 or 6 times...this is strange again...and I don't think even a cheap maker can have more then one item per SN#, and even if we are going to give it back again our world here does not move anywhere near that fast...the next week if you are lucky.....so many things sound just out of wack.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #26200
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardCase View Post
I get the whole "need to make a profit" thing, but damn if some shops don't just try to ass-rape prospective sellers. Around here it seems that if a guy wants to sell a gun for cash to a shop he might be able to get 50% of actual fair-market value. Does a shop make a 100% profit on new guns? No? I didn't think so.
I have seen that as well, when my uncle died he had a few old guns that the aunt took to a shop to sell....I was in shock at the prices they got....along the lines of when they pawned....yes pawned a 1960's vintage submariner for $1000...he bought it in Japan while he was on R&R from his first tour in Vietnam....I about puked right then and there.

I have done a few guns in the mail, but only C&R stuff, my SVT40 I bought from a guy in tennessee and my Asraka came from new mexico. Then there are a few from places like J&G and the like. The first time I did the person transfer over the mail I was stressed to say the least, but now it is nothing.

Pretty cool to have a gun in a cardboard box come in the mail....what a country.

Pics of some stuff I got over the years


and inside the box?
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #26201
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have done a few guns in the mail, but only C&R stuff, my SVT40 I bought from a guy in tennessee and my Asraka came from new mexico. Then there are a few from places like J&G and the like. The first time I did the person transfer over the mail I was stressed to say the least, but now it is nothing.
Wish I had your level of comfort doing "in the mail sales". So many antique firearms are a matter of value only when you find the right buyer. I got a fair price once for two guns I was selling at a gun store but I think the owner himself wanted it for his collection.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #26202
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Kingsville MO
Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Wish I had your level of comfort doing "in the mail sales". So many antique firearms are a matter of value only when you find the right buyer. I got a fair price once for two guns I was selling at a gun store but I think the owner himself wanted it for his collection.
I mainly deal with military weapons....oldest thing I have is a WWI rifle. The few times I have done it I wanted TONS of pics, and have been happy with the items when they showed up. I have never sold anything over the internet so I can't comment on that aspect.

I have found where you are has a great deal to do with what these type items bring....I could not find a halfway good arasaka in my neck of the woods for anything....and the stuff that was for sale was just crap. The one I bought (I think I posted up pics in this thread) is in fantastic shape, all the goodies including the original sling....and it was half the price of the crap around here.....point is sometime when you want this odd stuff you have to do the net thing.

Now buying from a company I have had no worries and very happy with what I have gotten. Bought a repro 91/30 sniper and I am very happy with that. Tons of fun to shoot.
__________________
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist
[/FONT]
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #26203
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows
 
buildit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Simpsons home town Ohio
Oddometer: 14,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have found where you are has a great deal to do with what these type items bring....
Yeah, I know about location, location, location. All the shows and stores I've taken guns to keep telling me how they'd be worth half again what they are in the Eastern US. Oh well, maybe someday I'll get brave and try a online type sale.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/user/advfilmer
2013 Super-10
2007 KTM950SEr
2006 KLR650
2001 YZ426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #26204
cms81586
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ
Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBob View Post
A gun shop needs to make its profit so will offer less than a face to face sale, it seems to me, but it sounds like you're thinking the costs of privately selling a handgun makes this a wash. My local shop charges about 35.00 to receive a gun and most overnight packages I've sent cost me at least the same.
I'm very concerned that the Ruger remains in responsible hands.
Either conduct the sale through an FFL and pay their fee ($10-$50 depending on the dealer)...or just require that the seller has a LTCF/CCW permit. If they have a current and valid permit they've been checked out by the county sheriff's office.
cms81586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:57 AM   #26205
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey
 
doc_ricketts's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: FlaWaCo?
Oddometer: 5,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
www.SavageShooters.com

Can't say I've ever had an issue with the front scope mount hole threads. One issue that is common though is that some screws included with scope bases are a little long and will bottom out on the barrel shank (front-most hole) or stick down through the receiver and prevent the bolt from closing (bolt head will hit it).
Interesting web page. Have not visited it before. And quite a few people have problems with the threads on the Savage 10 from the factory. Savage will even redo them for you if you send it in, but I preferred to switch to 8-40 screws which is a big improvement.
__________________
"Get yourself to the hills and be uplifted, assuming you got some good knobbies"
doc_ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014