User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 730 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #26221
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
It won't hurt the gun, it just won't be accurate.

"big holes in the pattern" = places where birds fly through your shot "cloud"
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #26222
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 4,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Shot shells will shoot OK in it but you need to also remember to NOT shoot rifled slugs in it, rifled slugs are for NON rifled barrels, regular slugs are for rifled barrels, and shot is OK in a rifled barrel but don't expect super accuracy out of it with shot....and check the manual which probably tells you this.
damn it.. just got back from Fukkmart with two boxes (30 shells) of Remington Rifled Slugs :(
Old 07-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #26223
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
damn it.. just got back from Fukkmart with two boxes (30 shells) of Remington Rifled Slugs :(
If I was close I would buy them from you. Or consider that if you are going to a range then you might trade shots with another shooter or sell the box there, or use you shots in their gun. Just a thought
Callahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #26224
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

thanks for the idea!

to be clear, the Rifled Slugs are bad JUST as far as accuracy OR they can damage my barrel.?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #26225
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanjo_NY View Post
thanks for the idea!

to be clear, the Rifled Slugs are bad JUST as far as accuracy OR they can damage my barrel.?
The regular slugger ones?

Nah, not as long as you use the correct choke (IC i think).

Sabot would be ideal. Shoot a few and see how they group. Could range from great to terrible. If terrible then give them to someone who'll enjoy them like me.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #26226
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
The box of truth shot different slugs through different barrels:

Quote:
Lessons learned:
1. Sabot slugs in a rifled barrel are very accurate.
2. Shooting sabot slugs through a smooth bore is a waste of money. They will "work" but accuracy suffers and there is no reason to spend the extra money for sabot slugs if you are going to shoot them through a smooth bore. Besides, if they are not flying straight and nose-first, they will not expand as designed.
3. Different shotguns "like" different loads. Just like rifles and pistols. You must try different loads to find what your gun "likes".
4. Shooting a non-sabot rifled slug through a rifled barrel can cause them to shoot into very nice groups.
5. When we got home and cleaned the rifled barrel, the five non-sabot, rifled slugs had not really deposited any lead that we could notice. The barrel cleaned-up sparkling clean very easily.
6. It's fun to shoot stuff.
http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45.htm
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #26227
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan View Post
The box of truth shot different slugs through different barrels:

http://theboxotruth.com/docs/bot45.htm

THANKS!!
according to 4 and 5 I should be good with rifled slugs.

I just shot two rounds in the backyard and seems fine, but can't tell much with only two shots..
Need to take this thing to the field, one thing I know for sure.. KICK like a mule!!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:56 AM   #26228
Tmaximusv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Sw mp22?

has anyone got experience with the new Smith & Wesson M&P 22? I'm looking for something like my large frame .40 that will reliably shoot 22lr bulk. Reviews say it will, but real life is worth a lot.

Not really interested in a Sig Mosquito or Walther P22 because of the really picky ammo requirements.
Tmaximusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #26229
pilotguy299
The man who regrets

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaximusv View Post
has anyone got experience with the new Smith & Wesson M&P 22? I'm looking for something like my large frame .40 that will reliably shoot 22lr bulk. Reviews say it will, but real life is worth a lot.

Not really interested in a Sig Mosquito or Walther P22 because of the really picky ammo requirements.
Yes. I have fired a few of them, and they are good to go.

Just don't expect consistent sub-moa accuracy.
pilotguy299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:08 AM   #26230
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:

From what I've read, they don't feed anything and everything like S$W claims they will, but that they will reliably feed just about anything much better than the other more finicky 22 pistols.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #26231
Ray of Sunshine
Meat Donut 2 Some

Oddometer: 16,855
The Glock G whatever note

While I was visiting the Barber Museum, I stopped in the Pro Bass Shop just down the road. A remarkable place, with more outdoor stuff than is imaginable. Of course, since Alabama is about 180 degrees from NYS in handgun tolerance, there were more handguns on display than I ever saw in guarding arsenals in the Marines.

I tried out a Glock .40 cal pistol and was saddened to find out that due to ligament damage, it caused me too much pain to handle, even without the weight of a loaded magazine. I need to do more hand exercises and find a lighter piece. Suggestions?

Life is better, but why not?
Ray of Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 AM   #26232
ballistic_ken
Aaarrrrgh!

Oddometer: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine View Post
I tried out a Glock .40 cal pistol and was saddened to find out that due to ligament damage, it caused me too much pain to handle, even without the weight of a loaded magazine. I need to do more hand exercises and find a lighter piece. Suggestions?
I recommend consulting a physical therapist, there is just too many ways to make yourself worse without some professional input.

Good luck!

The Duke abides!
ballistic_ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #26233
Motor31
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,945
Something to consider here. If merely holding the gun causes you pain because of the weight you have to remember that there will be recoil forces as well. If mere weight is painful what are you going to do when the thing goes off? You will feel several pounds of force both to the rear and in an upward motion due to recoil and in the case of something like the 40 it will be a very sharp and snappy recoil. It would be rather a BAD thing to actually lose control of the gun and have it go flying willy nilly because your grip is incapable of handling the recoil and weight.

The lighter the gun the HIGHER the recoil forces in any cartridge. There is less mass to absorb the recoil impulse so more is transmitted to your hand. If your disability is such that just holding thew weapon is a problem you might want to think about what shooting it will do. I strongly suggest you go to a range with a buddy and shoot some different weapons, starting with a 22 then work up. I also STRONGLY suggest you single load the gun as well so that if you do lose control it will be with an empty gun not a loaded one.

Having had my right wrist rebuilt twice and currently held together with a mesh I understand the idea of pain while shooting. It took a while for me to get back into shooting condition through therapy and plain hard headed determination. Unless you are willing to accept the fact that it will hurt and drive on anyhow you might want to reconsider shooting. I wish you well in the endeavor, seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine View Post
While I was visiting the Barber Museum, I stopped in the Pro Bass Shop just down the road. A remarkable place, with more outdoor stuff than is imaginable. Of course, since Alabama is about 180 degrees from NYS in handgun tolerance, there were more handguns on display than I ever saw in guarding arsenals in the Marines.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #26234
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,938
Quote:

Get yourself a GSG 1911 .22. I have two (one me, one wife) and they are great. Mix all kinds of ammo and hardly ever a misfire and never clean them.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #26235
Fe Man
I am Iron Moran!

Oddometer: 7,857
Concealed Carry / Daily Wear

So I am in the market for a concealed carry sidearm!

I am a long gun guy and really don't have too much experience with current semi-auto offerings. I've shot plenty of wheel guns over the years, formerly had a Browning Hi Power which I loved, a 1911 in 38 Super and currently have a Ruger P-whatever which is heavier than a gallon of milk. I need something to stay on my hip without pulling my pants down. If I had it my way, I'd wear a 1911 but that is just to much gun to wear comfortably and conceal.

Caliber not critical, 9mm, 40 cal, whatever.
Brand: whatever, Glock, Sig, etc.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: